The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

If we finish bottom and the playoffs get cancelled I’m not sure I could cope with that I’d rather get relegated.  

If I was Ken Ferguson I would have quit last year after all the stick he took  and actually it’s probably been a huge negative for the club him being involved in the SPFL board.  It’s just brought attention on us when realistically there was no other option last year for the league to cancel the playoff.  There seems to be some huge conspiracy theory that he is running the whole of Scottish football but that is almost certainly a complete fantasy.

If I was a Kelty or a Brora fan I’m sure I would be pissed off though so I see where they are coming from in wanting their team to get their chance. 

46 minutes ago, charlie king mvp said:

If we finish bottom and the playoffs get cancelled I’m not sure I could cope with that I’d rather get relegated.  

If I was Ken Ferguson I would have quit last year after all the stick he took  and actually it’s probably been a huge negative for the club him being involved in the SPFL board.  It’s just brought attention on us when realistically there was no other option last year for the league to cancel the playoff.  There seems to be some huge conspiracy theory that he is running the whole of Scottish football but that is almost certainly a complete fantasy.

If I was a Kelty or a Brora fan I’m sure I would be pissed off though so I see where they are coming from in wanting their team to get their chance. 

I'll copy you into my Lowland League message:

So he is stepping down apparently due to his club fighting relegation and therefore it's the right thing to do - they were in same boat last year and he didn't go.  Last year he knew there was a (borderline) legitimate reason not to have the playoff due to all playoffs being scrapped.  This season there is no such excuse therefore he can't be seen to be L1/2 rep on the SPFL board if they intend to end the pyramid playoff and his team happen to be Club 42 at the time.  So he goes now!  (it's almost comical!).

Questions I have include:

1)What are the supposed 'several issues' that the SPFL have relating to the play-offs?

2) Why do they have any reason to believe either club does not meet the criteria - this must have been known long ago bearing in mind they both finished top last season, and had an end of March deadline re this years criteria.

3)  Why are they highlighting in their statement how many games each feeder league had played prior to the Leagues being called?  Remember that the Lowland League recently sounded out the SPFL about their scenario and were advised (by the SPFL!)  to call the league on a PPG basis, and appoint a champion.  (how the leagues got their champion really shouldn't be the SPFL's concern anyway).

4) Why can't dates be announced for the play off?  A complete fallacy to suggest otherwise.  We know the leagues are being based on a 22 game season.  Outwith for the cup, there have been no postponements since the leagues returned, and it's highly unlikely the clubs wont achieve the 18 games prior to the Apr 20th deadline.  There is therefore no reason why, at the very least, provisional dates couldn't be allocated for the two-legged pyramid play off final.  So ask yourself this - why are they so reluctant to do so?  Could it be that they have no intention, none whatsoever, in engaging in play-off final chat?

All of this, specifically the peculiar wording in at least 3 of the paragraphs in their official statement, stinks to absolute high heaven!

Its like Ken Feguson already knows the outcome of April 19th decision and is thinking im outta here before the news gets dropped.

Have to admit doesn't sit well me if they do change the rules and their is no play off.If that is the case they surely have to scrap Play off game from now on and if you finish 10th then so be it,if you want to get into the league get voted in like years ago.

9 hours ago, charlie king mvp said:

You saying he had no influence on that board? What was the point of him being on it in the first place.

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

Its like Ken Feguson already knows the outcome of April 19th decision and is thinking im outta here before the news gets dropped.

Have to admit doesn't sit well me if they do change the rules and their is no play off.If that is the case they surely have to scrap Play off game from now on and if you finish 10th then so be it,if you want to get into the league get voted in like years ago.

Very much looks that way. If I were Kelty and Brora I’d be hiring the best lawyer I could find and setting up a go fund me page to help employ them. Pretty sure if it was my club at the bottom of the league, with no influence whatsoever, there would be play offs?

Don't count on all the bizarre posts suggesting the playoffs will be cancelled being accurate. The SPFL website story stated:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/ken-ferguson-steps-down-from-spfl-board

Our approach has always been to apply the Rules that have been agreed by all member clubs, as well as the Pyramid Play-Off Rules agreed between the SPFL, the Scottish FA, the Lowland League and the Highland League, and we will do so again this season

There is nothing in the play-off rules that could justify cancelling the playoffs this year unlike last year when the lockdown made it legally impossible to proceed at the stated timing. The only obvious get out of jail card this time around is the colt teams reconstruction plan.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I think we need start preparing for life in the highland league and accept we just simply aren’t good enough to be in the SPFL.horrendous decision making at boardroom level for the last 4-5 years have led us to this point.Questions also have definitely got to be asked on the thought process when appointing Paton as manager as clearly he was the wrong option when there were more experienced guys out there.

Edited by Citytillidie

stopped watching todays game, we deserve everything we get. Highland League.

I would be well pissed off if playoffs get binned if I were a supporter of HL / LL champs.

Do wonder if decision has already been made if Ken has stepped down.

Either way we have been poor and have had zero luck - our best midfielder is out for the season, Gerry injured in warm up etc.

Just now, Cold Feet said:

I would be well pissed off if playoffs get binned if I were a supporter of HL / LL champs.

Either way we have been poor and have had zero luck - our best midfielder is out for the season, Gerry injured in warm up etc.

Ken Ferguson should really be resigning from the Brechin City board. As Citytillidie said there has been horrendous decision making over the last few years. 

The same mistakes made over and over again. 

1 hour ago, Cold Feet said:

I think HL/LL had more of an argument last season - they can't have complaints when they've been voted 'champions' - one of them after 3 games played, the other having lost to the only top 6 side they've played.

That said, we've been awful for the last 4 years and if we avoid the playoffs again I don't think you can say we've had zero luck.  We've just not had any on the pitch.  Even today, I didn't see an awful lot wrong with the disallowed goal.

Pinning the blame on an individual isn't right or fair - there's a minimum expectation of effort from players and despite changing our whole squad twice we've ended up with a handful of players who don't even meet that.  The club as a whole should take the burden of blame.  Efforts have been made this season to try and salvage the season, it's just unfortunate they are about a year and a half too late.

We're not out of it yet, but we're going to have to beat Annan twice at minimum and pick up an extra point over them someplace.  Certainly doable, if the players put the effort in and we get a little luck going our way.  Instead of pinning blame how about directing the effort into getting behind the team to not finish bottom?

I waited a while before I wrote something so my thoughts have had time to reflect. I’ve rarely been so disappointed and angry with our whole club after today’s game. This was potentially our biggest game of the season and they lack of ability and effort from our players was pathetic. OK, we’ve had some bad luck, but these guys today couldn’t pass a ball, stick the ball in the goal from good chances and put in the effort in to get us out of this mess. I’ve followed this club for about 65 years and have been through bad times in the 60s, but even there we weren’t in danger of losing our league status. The young guys brought in will go back to their clubs with some real experience and I’m sure it will help them in the future but they’ll soon forget their time at Brechin and won’t really bother about us being out of the league. This has shown that our management structure with local enthusiasts but without forward thinking has had its day. What has happened to the new organisation? Are they holding off to see if we survive in the league? In any case, it’s time for Ferg and his cronies to go - but who will take over. There are so many critics in Brechin but nobody willing to take on the responsibilities.
Moira ......... bring me another vodka please 😡😡

Even if they are saved again by politics I think Brechin should do the noble thing and resign from the league.
They are pretty much at Shire levels of embarrassing at this level.

I like your trolling and I think you are good at it, but sadly I think you are right here

I don't have the details but hear young Barron is out for the rest of the season.

I sincerely hope it's not long term serious as he's arguably been our best player all season.

In these dire times at the club let's not let him drift away without a word of thanks from the support.

Energy, vision and a great touch and shot. We have needed more of his ilk.

Sadly he couldn't save us on his own.

My defeatist attitude is showing 😕 

Edited by Kropotkin's beard
Spelling correction