The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Think you are dismissing Kelty Hearts too easily imo.

B’Jesus two new houses being built in the village to take the population up to 886 so maybe hit 1000 one day. The Hearts of Kelty are a cracking side and it will be a great playoff. Both teams deserve to take their place in the SPFL. We’ll be playing Brechin in either the playoff or the Highland League next season. Either way that hedge will be trimmed when the Worzzels come a calling. B’Jesus it’s Stranraer tomorrow and I haven’t paid for the telly yet.

One more relegation after that and the City vs Vics local league derby could be born in the new Midlands League. On a more serious note think you still have a fair to middling chance of avoiding being Club 42, but Brechin now being firmly in the HL catchment in feeder league negotiations terms must have ended any notions about dropping into the Lowland League?

On 25/03/2021 at 12:42, Ivo den Bieman said:

I see the top end of the HL quite a bit in normal times, usually take in a dozen or so games a season involving the likes of Broch, Formartine, Locos and Buckie.

I agree with you on the standard of the league- all of these teams would be quite comfortable in League 2. What I question is the desire to take the step up. I think in particular the Broch and Buckie are quite happy in the HIghland League. Buckie in particular mumped and moaned about their play off appearance as, famously, did Brora in 2015- albeit a very different Brora to the one that exists now. I am not sure Broch really have the finances to compete in League Two- they are a ferociously partisan local club aimed to develop local young players on more or less a shoestring. The oil-funded Shire clubs of course would progress if the opportunity arose but I just have a feeling their ship has sailed.

It would be an irony if Brora, having beaten the big Hearts in the cup, lose out to Kelty Hearts in this play off. And, certainly, whoever finishes bottom of the league is in for a very tough assignment to hold onto their national league status against either of those sides.

I have no problem with the leagues nominating a play off contender and the play off going ahead, after it was cancelled last season. In the longer term a move to automatic relegation for team 10 and team 9 entering a relegation play off against the Highland / Lowland champions is the way to go.

I've a sinking feeling the chickens are coming home to roost, and City have had their chips.

11 hours ago, Back Beach said:

B’Jesus two new houses being built in the village to take the population up to 886 so maybe hit 1000 one day. The Hearts of Kelty are a cracking side and it will be a great playoff. Both teams deserve to take their place in the SPFL. We’ll be playing Brechin in either the playoff or the Highland League next season. Either way that hedge will be trimmed when the Worzzels come a calling. B’Jesus it’s Stranraer tomorrow and I haven’t paid for the telly yet.

Would Brora really go for promotion? Would they get sponsors like Cove had? Many would argue that Brora were at least as good as Cove two seasons ago.

4 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Would Brora really go for promotion? Would they get sponsors like Cove had? Many would argue that Brora were at least as good as Cove two seasons ago.

Brora are used to one thing and that is winning. They are really solid and importantly having attacking threat. They will get a lot of loan/ex players from County & Caley if/when they come up. 

They would aim for top end of League 2 certainly and I wouldn't expect them to be far off.

Neither Brora or Kelty would be going back to HL/LL.

1 hour ago, Thom & Gerry said:

They are definitely geared up to go for promotion this time. Don’t think they will be able to sustain the financial commitment long term but in the medium term they see themselves in the SPFL.

That's a fair statement. If they do well first season or couple of seasons that could change.

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Brora are used to one thing and that is winning. They are really solid and importantly having attacking threat. They will get a lot of loan/ex players from County & Caley if/when they come up. 

They would aim for top end of League 2 certainly and I wouldn't expect them to be far off.

Neither Brora or Kelty would be going back to HL/LL.

If they get decent sponsors they will be OK. But where from? No one has money to throw around these days.

4 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

If they get decent sponsors they will be OK. But where from? No one has money to throw around these days.

Very good question. Disappointed to seeing them go out to Stranraer today. Fair play to Stranraer for coming from behind

On 24/03/2021 at 17:40, Whitburn Vale said:

I get the cup tie scenario regarding last nite being a 90 min game played to a finish and who turns up on the day but it dosnt hide from the fact as Hedge says of the strength of BRFC or the clubs below them in the top half of the HL.

The top half of our league is strong....,Brora,Broch,Buckie,Formartine,Inverurie,Forres for example.

Brora,Broch and Formartine United all in the 3rd round of the cup.

As for the LL, the top clubs are frighteningly good and that league will only strengthen with the likes of Talbot, Clydebank,Linlithgow Rose etc entering it.

Some League 2 clubs need to wake up and smell the coffee,do they really believe that they are bigger clubs than Talbot or Linlithgow for example??

So the claims that the HL is strong off the back of a freak result against Hearts are holding up well.  Brora easily dispatched at home by a league 2 side as expected.

This seems to happen every season.  Club 42 is written off before the playoffs with the wild claims about how good the tier 5 sides are.  They really aren’t.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

So the claims that the HL is strong off the back of a freak result against Hearts are holding up well.  Brora easily dispatched at home by a league 2 side as expected.

This seems to happen every season.  Club 42 is written off before the playoffs with the wild claims about how good the tier 5 sides are.  They really aren’t.

I would say that the top 5 tier 5 sides are certainly equal to the bottom 5 League 2 sides.

10 minutes ago, Left Back said:

...This seems to happen every season.  Club 42 is written off before the playoffs with the wild claims about how good the tier 5 sides are.  They really aren’t.

...which is why Berwick Rangers were able to survive after all that talk that they would be annihilated in the playoff and Cove Rangers are still in the Highland League.

35 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Yes that 88th minute equaliser and tight extra time must have been cigars all round for Stranraer. 😄

And we could potentially be relegated by being bottom club four seasons in a row.

I see some hope on the horizon but it is a slither of hope. If nothing else a couple of games with a full strength team heading to the playoffs.

I for one (contradiction) have made my peace with HL possibility.

Realistically, the Albion game on Saturday is a must, must win (I can only see Cowden eventually picking up more points than them).  Closing the lead to three points gives a fighting chance, but going 9 points behind them will all but see us in the playoffs.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Are you guys protective over your amazing groundsman and hedge? Get voting for Glebe Park on Twitter in Scotland’s Coolest Stadium. Voting closes in less than 30 hours time!