The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, citydiehard said:

Still think the management and committee should be held accountable for the disastrous way the club has been run the past 3 to 4 years.It’s funny how the mafia kicked up a fuss when managers were doing a shite job yet they don’t when it’s the board or the committee they say nothing.

The club is in the process of major transition . Before spouting nonsense at least try and get the basic stuff right. 

50 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The club is in the process of major transition . Before spouting nonsense at least try and get the basic stuff right. 

You see that’s the thing about the Mafia sticking up for the guff management/committee when clearly they have failed the last 3 years and why has the transition taken so long to happen.You seem to be in the know so perhaps you can shed some light

18 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Would Brechin fans prefer the LL or the HL should it go tits up?

I worked out a while back that there is a marginal travel-related benefit being in the HL, but the benefit of having a larger population base in the Central Belt to draw players from would make that relatively little extra travel in the LL worthwhile.  From an incredibly selfish perspective, HL would be ‘superb’ for me.

Edited by Hedgecutter

What have been the changes in the boardroom over these last five years or so?

It’s mind boggling how what was such a well run club for years can end up in this position and dishing out 3 year contracts to a man with 90 minutes experience.

6 hours ago, Nick_BCFC said:

What have been the changes in the boardroom over these last five years or so?

It’s mind boggling how what was such a well run club for years can end up in this position and dishing out 3 year contracts to a man with 90 minutes experience.

More like the changes in lower league football .   Gone are the days when quality players go to a club on the reputation of it being well run. Money dictates where most players end up. 

Our club have realised that they have to move with the times in a more commercial way to be able to compete for these players and are in the process of major transition behind the scenes. 

The main priority is obviously staying up this season but there has to be some long term planning as well .   It may come across as a strange decision to some , but it may also be possible that Michael showed the qualities required ...................................I still hark back to the Michael Oneill era . His preparation at interview stood out a mile . He was appointed and hardly won a game in his first 10 to 15 matches.  Prominent sponsors at the time questioned the club's sanity of appointing someone with no managerial experience.  The rest is history.

I remain quietly optimistic and am sure  that Paton's appointment is more than just a stab in the dark .  Time will obviously tell but for all the criticism out there I have not seen one alternative which would realistically or magically sort our problems .  

I still hark back to the Michael Oneill era . His preparation at interview stood out a mile . He was appointed and hardly won a game in his first 10 to 15 matches.  Prominent sponsors at the time questioned the club's sanity of appointing someone with no managerial experience.  The rest is history.

Michael O’Neill took a wee while to make his mark on the team but to say he barely won a game in his first 10-15 is nonsense. He took charge towards the end of a disastrous season in the 1st division (now championship) and earned a win and two draws from the last 5 games which in itself is a good start. The start to the following season was steady enough given the big wage cuts that summer.

At least he had experience as an Assistant at Cowdenbeath prior to his appointment here, plus we were in a position then to gamble on an untested manager. We certainly are not in a position to do that now, but we have.

5 minutes ago, gm_1982 said:

Michael O’Neill took a wee while to make his mark on the team but to say he barely won a game in his first 10-15 is nonsense. He took charge towards the end of a disastrous season in the 1st division (now championship) and earned a win and two draws from the last 5 games which in itself is a good start. The start to the following season was steady enough given the big wage cuts that summer.

At least he had experience as an Assistant at Cowdenbeath prior to his appointment here, plus we were in a position then to gamble on an untested manager. We certainly are not in a position to do that now, but we have.

I recall it took 10 to 15 games for any consistent run of results  which got people questioning .   Once he got rid of the mercenaries that Pink signed , he still had quite a decent base of experienced quality players which he added to with more quality like Michael Paton himself . 

Unfortunately Paton  doesn't have the same kind of quality to work with at present and that would be the same with any new manager coming in . Changes will have to be made but unfortunately these changes can't happen till January . 

Again I ask what the alternative is now and more importantly who do you suggest ?  

Can you see us making the required improvements in January? It’s a notoriously difficult window to operate in and we aren’t an attractive proposition.

Unless we are throwing about money we will be well down the list of potential destinations for players for sure.

The alternative was to wait a few more games. He was caretaker anyway so why throw him a THREE year contract? Wasn’t like anyone else was going to be rushing for his managerial services any time soon.

This. I still can’t understand why he wasn’t given at least 3/4 games as a caretaker before making a decision.

Here’s something to ponder, if he was still caretaker do we think he would get the job on a permanent basis? Three tough games have followed the win at Albion but the way we’ve meekly surrendered in those matches doesn’t bode well.

1 hour ago, gm_1982 said:

This. I still can’t understand why he wasn’t given at least 3/4 games as a caretaker before making a decision.

Here’s something to ponder, if he was still caretaker do we think he would get the job on a permanent basis? Three tough games have followed the win at Albion but the way we’ve meekly surrendered in those matches doesn’t bode well.

I am as frustrated as anyone here regarding results and performances , but it seems the players  themselves have escaped the brunt of the criticism.  Surely they have to realise that they too have to step up to the challenge before them.  

I am as frustrated as anyone here regarding results and performances , but it seems the players  themselves have escaped the brunt of the criticism.  Surely they have to realise that they too have to step up to the challenge before them.  

We’ve built a squad almost entirely of kids with very little experience - that was never going to end well. I think individually they all have quality but as a unit it just doesn’t work. That is no fault of Paton’s, of course.

10 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Absolutely, the vast majority aren’t good enough though. Nor have most of the players recruited in the last 4 years or so for the level they have been asked to play at.

Granted the board don’t choose the players, that’s down to the manager in post at the time. The board do pick the manager and their last few selections have been nowhere near good enough and turned the club into a laughing stock.