The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, grant1903 said:

I’m not a Brechin fan but an east fife fan and keep an eye on p&b,I can’t understand why you gave the guy the permanent job after just one game,surely after the nitemare last few years,yous hav really got to get this appointment right,and giving the guy 4 or 5 games to see how he gets on. If after that time and he wasn’t the right guy then someone like our ex gaffer gary naysmith would be ideal in my opinion,very professional although I’m not sure if he would take it re distance etc

I can't understand why some guys keep getting managers jobs but I suppose that's why Scottish football is in the state it is and opinions are opinions . 

8 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Cheers big guy. 👌

It's true though,your board had more than enough time to find a decent/experienced manager.The way Brechin are right now you don't need a young lad coming in with no managerial experience,but the guys that run you chose the cheap option after a week a think that's what I can get my head around . Massive season ahead potential to be out the league,massive scare last season, but know we will just give it to the striker that Wilson brought in a few weeks ago.

SHAMBLES

3 minutes ago, mo83 said:

It's true though,your board had more than enough time to find a decent/experienced manager.The way Brechin are right now you don't need a young lad coming in with no managerial experience,but the guys that run you chose the cheap option after a week a think that's what I can get my head around . Massive season ahead potential to be out the league,massive scare last season, but know we will just give it to the striker that Wilson brought in a few weeks ago.

SHAMBLES

What's the big deal with this experienced manager thing?  Mo tried Hegarty and by all accounts his fitness regime was having the players run round the park 20 times doing star jumps . It wasn't till Petrie was appointed that the real difference was made.  He had no experience at league level but your more forward thinking new business minded board members at the time realised that a younger guy with  progressive ideas was the way forward. 

We are in much the same position Mo were in with similar problems and issues  . The club are addressing the issues in a similar fashion. ( minus the Hegarty bit of course )  .   Time will tell whether or not Paton has the same qualities as Petrie to get us back to a level we were accustomed to . We all live in hope the same way Montrose did. 

Hegarty & Holt did us a real turn in 2015 getting us through that play-off, and the pair of them will always remain legends for that. But it didn't work for too long after that result. Wonderful players in their day and I really rated Holty as a manager in the 1990s, but their time has gone, and I think they both know that.

I remember their first game- an utterly dis-spiriting 0-4 reverse up at Borough Briggs. Holt's face was puce with rage after about 20 minutes. Their combined fear and fury worked in that emergency, but in the main the Jim McLean-style shouting and bawling stuff simply doesn't work with Millennials and Gen Z-ers. They don't fear you, think you're a dick, and are working out how they can make you into a meme.

For me the issue is the three year deal for Paton which seems deranged, on the basis of one win over Albion Rovers. It's Brechin's last bullet, so I really hope it's a bit closer to the target than their last few managerial shots. Stirling seem a very good team this season and it's obvious the roof came in after the sending off. Let's see how the next few results go.

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

What's the big deal with this experienced manager thing?  Mo tried Hegarty and by all accounts his fitness regime was having the players run round the park 20 times doing star jumps . It wasn't till Petrie was appointed that the real difference was made.  He had no experience at league level but your more forward thinking new business minded board members at the time realised that a younger guy with  progressive ideas was the way forward. 

We are in much the same position Mo were in with similar problems and issues  . The club are addressing the issues in a similar fashion. ( minus the Hegarty bit of course )  .   Time will tell whether or not Paton has the same qualities as Petrie to get us back to a level we were accustomed to . We all live in hope the same way Montrose did. 

Stewart Petrie had his fair share of league experience,he was Paul Sheerin right hand man when the smokies won the league,Dick Campbell coaching team at Forfar for a few years also had spell in the juniors with Broughty and am sure he was youth coach at Ross county for a bit years ago.With Paton yeah time will tell a just think it was a rushed appointment less than a week they punt the manager new guy is in charge! Surley if they had a bit of common sense they would have invited open application to see who was interested in the job first maybe even approach someone.If all else fails and nobody wants the job and Paton is keen then their you go let's see what you can do.I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be but if Michael Paton still the Manager of Brechin City in 3 years time I will be absolutely amazed.

Michael Paton might be a decent player and a good guy but it is quite frankly scary that after Brechin's recent problems that a group of men have decided to give him a 3 year contract as manager after just one game. Leave it 3 or 4 games at the very least and take some applications in and see where you are. I really hope Brechin dont drop into the highland league but if they do, the blame lands at the fools in charge. 

We (Brechin City) are where we are . So let's move on and avoid recriminations. Be that players,manager or board.

I refer you to the elephant I mentioned earlier and offer the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

"Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other. In some versions, they come to suspect that the other person is dishonest and they come to blows. The moral of the parable is that humans have a tendency to claim absolute truth based on their limited, subjective experience as they ignore other people's limited, subjective experiences which may be equally true."

43 minutes ago, Kropotkin's beard said:

We (Brechin City) are where we are . So let's move on and avoid recriminations. Be that players,manager or board.

I refer you to the elephant I mentioned earlier and offer the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

"Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other. In some versions, they come to suspect that the other person is dishonest and they come to blows. The moral of the parable is that humans have a tendency to claim absolute truth based on their limited, subjective experience as they ignore other people's limited, subjective experiences which may be equally true."

Ok Ken

1 hour ago, Kropotkin's beard said:

I was just going to say that

1 hour ago, Brechin City FC said:

Let's just continue to allow poor decisions go unchallenged.  Thinking like that is exactly why we are where we are right now.

I take it Michael will be totally up against it from now on.   Two games in and the knives are already out ............despite one of those being our first league win in god knows how long . 

3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I take it Michael will be totally up against it from now on.   Two games in and the knives are already out ............despite one of those being our first league win in god knows how long .

Absolutely not.  I wish Michael all the best.  My view has always been that he was appointed far too soon, not that he was/wasn't the right man for the job.  He could win every game and my opinion that wouldn't change.

I can’t see anyone that is criticising Michael here. You are the only one I can see in these thread, whether it be Brechin or other supporters, that thinks dishing a contract to a rookie Manager after 1 game is a wise decision in our current predicament!

I will be right behind Michael and I am desperate for him to succeed, but I really fear this is going to be yet another disastrous decision.

3 hours ago, Brechin City FC said:

Absolutely not.  I wish Michael all the best.  My view has always been that he was appointed far too soon, not that he was/wasn't the right man for the job.  He could win every game and my opinion that wouldn't change.

3 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

I can’t see anyone that is criticising Michael here. You are the only one I can see in these thread, whether it be Brechin or other supporters, that thinks dishing a contract to a rookie Manager after 1 game is a wise decision in our current predicament!

I will be right behind Michael and I am desperate for him to succeed, but I really fear this is going to be yet another disastrous decision.

Our recent track record of inviting applications and trying to pick the best one isn't exactly the shining example to follow here . 

Yes it seems a rash appointment but perhaps , just perhaps this one might work...............just on the basis that the other method didn't . 

Until proved otherwise , I am fully behind the appointment. 

There is absolutely no sure fire way to appoint a new manager at any level, never kind this one.

We’ve seen experienced pros like Jocky Scott and Paul Hegerty fail miserably, at the same time the likes of Dick Campbell have been a success. First time managers like Paul Hartley, Stewart Petrie and Gary Naismith have been a success, whilst countless others have failed. Your board just have to do what they think is the right thing. Many will disagree, but on their heads be it.