The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Not any available managers tbf, but the decision to give a 3 year deal is one that rules out a number of options for a considerable period of time.
I don't think it's the appointment that's pissed most folk off considering where we are and the options available, it's the 'all-in' length of contract given. There's been quite a lot written on this thread recently highlighting how sacking managers can be expensive and leave us up shit creek if things go tits up, and then we go and do this. Today's pumping has he thinking 'meh' out of apathy, but just this committee decision has made me pretty angry tbh.

I am sure that Grant Johnston knows how to write a decent contract😉 hopefully the days of rewarding failure are in the past🙂

20 hours ago, tamthebam said:

All good points but at least, unlike the Mo, Brechin haven't been mad enough to make Hegarty their manager

Yet.

Hegarty would be 10 times better than Paton right now 100%.Board at Brechin should hang their heads in shame letting the fans down big time.

Hegarty's first Mo game was only a 0-4 shoeing, TBF. His deal wasn't three years either.

Scary how quickly Brechin have fallen in terms of not just league position but their entire thought process. If Paton can't buy a win come Jan/Feb, what then?....

13 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Hegarty's first Mo game was only a 0-4 shoeing, TBF. His deal wasn't three years either.

Scary how quickly Brechin have fallen in terms of not just league position but their entire thought process. If Paton can't buy a win come Jan/Feb, what then?....

They'll stick with him into the next season, then sack him 4 games in, presumably.  

Paton made himself captain as well? That seems pure ego and tinpot to me.

Not going to end well is it? You beat a fellow pub team last week but it only glosses over the inevitable battle between the two pub teams for bottom spot.

Not going to end well is it? You beat a fellow pub team last week but it only glosses over the inevitable battle between the two pub teams for bottom spot.

Surely a Player/Manager is going to be captain whenever he is on the field?!

Besides our Club Captain Jonathan Page hasn’t been playing and the fact he didn’t even come on today after our centre half got sent off would suggest he isn’t fancied.

Can’t argue on the second point, it’s going to be a two way fight for 9th this season.

1 minute ago, gm_1982 said:

Surely a Player/Manager is going to be captain whenever he is on the field?!

Besides our Club Captain Jonathan Page hasn’t been playing and the fact he didn’t even come on today after our centre half got sent off would suggest he isn’t fancied.

The captain is the link between player and manager. Even Alex Rae wasn't stupid enough to do that when he was at us.

That's out and out egoism.

15 hours ago, Brechin City FC said:

Maybe he has, but would it not have been prudent to at least give it a couple of weeks to see if that really was the case? 

Similar comments may have been said about Michael O'Neill but we were in a far stronger position then than we were now.  O'Neill took about 6-8 months to get going, we don't have that luxury any more.

I'm not saying Paton isn't going to turn out to be a good appointment, just that it's impossible to tell after one game.  Going by today's performance I'd say not much has changed.  Even prior to the red card we created next to nothing and the defence still looked awful.

If you read the post you would have noticed I said 'other' worst team in the league.  We can't play ourselves unfortunately.

15 hours ago, Brechin City FC said:

If nothing can be done until January why kneejerk into appointing a manager after one game?  it's not like Paton was going anywhere else if he didn't get the job, he was under contract to us as a player!

All good points , but on last weeks performance I think we could see that these same players are capable of being an organised unit. That other "worst team" won yesterday  as well so it possibly makes our performance look that bit better. 

It is frustrating that these same players can lose confidence and concentration  so quickly and that is the area that needs addressing . I would hope that they will be working on that as a priority. 

As regards the appointment I have been led to believe that Paton stood out a mile from the other candidates in the way he was going to approach this situation. Time will tell whether or not it was the right thing to do but I think lessons may have been made from the past in that he will not be rewarded for failure . As you say , time is not on our side this season so it is up to him and Gerry to prove that the committee were right to place their faith in them.  

Football though is very fickle and has a habit of kicking you in the baws when you are at the arse end of the league so it is not easy to predict the outcome.  What I do know is that nothing is being taken for granted . Plans are already  in place to improve the overall fitness of the players which in turn should help the concentration levels and in turn their confidence.  As I keep saying there is a lot of ability in that squad it is just trying to find that consistency of performance. 

I don't know who you think might have been a better choice as the bottom line is whoever got the job , the same issues would have had to be addressed . They would be working with the same bunch of players . 

I would hope that Michael's main line of work as a personal coach/trainer has given him the grounding for addressing the individual issues and this maybe had a bearing on his appointment . Who knows really , but to judge a guy on two games ( or one as the case seems to be )   is maybe a bit premature. 

10 hours ago, Neilly said:

That fellow pub team won yesterday too so there you go. 

15 hours ago, Scorge said:

Hegarty wasn't the man who got you out of the mire either.  😉

4 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

All good points , but on last weeks performance I think we could see that these same players are capable of being an organised unit. That other "worst team" won yesterday  as well so it possibly makes our performance look that bit better. 

It is frustrating that these same players can lose confidence and concentration  so quickly and that is the area that needs addressing . I would hope that they will be working on that as a priority. 

As regards the appointment I have been led to believe that Paton stood out a mile from the other candidates in the way he was going to approach this situation. Time will tell whether or not it was the right thing to do but I think lessons may have been made from the past in that he will not be rewarded for failure . As you say , time is not on our side this season so it is up to him and Gerry to prove that the committee were right to place their faith in them.  

Football though is very fickle and has a habit of kicking you in the baws when you are at the arse end of the league so it is not easy to predict the outcome.  What I do know is that nothing is being taken for granted . Plans are already  in place to improve the overall fitness of the players which in turn should help the concentration levels and in turn their confidence.  As I keep saying there is a lot of ability in that squad it is just trying to find that consistency of performance. 

I don't know who you think might have been a better choice as the bottom line is whoever got the job , the same issues would have had to be addressed . They would be working with the same bunch of players . 

I would hope that Michael's main line of work as a personal coach/trainer has given him the grounding for addressing the individual issues and this maybe had a bearing on his appointment . Who knows really , but to judge a guy on two games ( or one as the case seems to be )   is maybe a bit premature. 

I agree with most of what you have said there, however I'm not saying Paton isn't the right man for the job.  Like you say, it's a bit premature to tell.  That's why I think people are annoyed that he has been appointed so quickly without giving sufficient time to find out if he's the right man for the job. 

Obviously I hope he does well and we stay up but I really think it was a mistake to pull the trigger on appointing him so quickly, whether it works out or not.

I’m not a Brechin fan but an east fife fan and keep an eye on p&b,I can’t understand why you gave the guy the permanent job after just one game,surely after the nitemare last few years,yous hav really got to get this appointment right,and giving the guy 4 or 5 games to see how he gets on. If after that time and he wasn’t the right guy then someone like our ex gaffer gary naysmith would be ideal in my opinion,very professional although I’m not sure if he would take it re distance etc