The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

I’m trying to get my head round why we have handed out a near 3 year deal to someone that has only managed one game (albeit he done very well).

A very risky decision in our current predicament and one that I hope pays off. If it doesn’t there will be major questions being asked of current committee.

Do I think he’s the right man to take us forward? Quite possibly but it’s far too early to make a bold call quite like that in my opinion.

Come on City

Guest The Phoenix

The length of the contract is a red herring, aside from giving a very public message that the Manager has the full backing of the Board. 

The compensation for early termination is what matters and that will rightly be kept in strict confidence. 

9 hours ago, charlie king mvp said:

He’s not the manager though.

He is part of the management team though. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

McCabe was a fucking dreadful manager but he does seem to get a lot of praise as an assistant. Not sure Paton is gaffer material but I guess we'll find out. Strange to throw a three year deal at a novice...

All positive stuff by all accounts . Seemingly  this pairing glaringly stood out from all the other candidates in their preparation and organisation.......and not to mention their ability to turn a  team from a disorganised bunch lacking in confidence to a very competent , organised  side in the space of a week. 

11 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:

The experience comes via Gerry McCabe that coupled with Michael Paton's  enthusiasm may be  the winning formula, with regard to the 3 year deal maybe the contracts has been written to reflect what we hopefully have learned to our cost from  recent epic failures

Mon the City

12 hours ago, Brechin City FC said:

3 year deal after winning one game.  No wonder we're in a mess.

Fingers crossed it works out but what a massive, unnecessary gamble.

12 hours ago, charlie king mvp said:

Well I hope it works but that is just mental. A three year deal for a guy who has been a manager for just over a week is crazy. 

Is it possible that Michael might just have shown the leadership qualities , preparation and organisational skills that have been missing for the past 3 years ?

Sometimes these people do come along and surprise everyone. This could turn out to be one of those times. 

I seem to remember similar comments being made about Michael O'Neill. 😉

Is it possible that Michael might just have shown the leadership qualities , preparation and organisational skills that have been missing for the past 3 years ?
Sometimes these people do come along and surprise everyone. This could turn out to be one of those times. 
I seem to remember similar comments being made about Michael O'Neill. [emoji6]

Michael O’Neill wasn’t offered a near 3 year contract.

9 hours ago, mo83 said:

Cheap option.....Bottom 2 again this year for the city.What a free fall Brechin are in,shambles of a club at the minute reminds me of the Mo years ago.

It sometimes takes some bold decisions to turn a club's complete fortunes around . We are in that process at the moment . Believe me this is far from being a cheap option. 

Just like Mo, it takes the reality of oblivion to shake things up . 

No Brechin supporter wants this to go wrong but this is a huge gamble. Michael O’Neill wasn’t going to take us into the Highland League. It might well be a genius move but the same people employed the last three managers.

After the last home game we could all attend in February I had a conversation with a director who was convinced that Mark Wilson would be a great manager.

3 minutes ago, gm_1982 said:

Michael O’Neill wasn’t offered a near 3 year contract.

I doubt if many know what he was offered . What we do know is that he glaringly stood out from the other applicants due to his preparation and attention to detail. 

I would like to think that has been the case with Michael Paton this time round. 

Last week's dramatic change in fortunes was certainly more than a lucky throw of the dice as the improvement was evident in all areas of the team.  I  think it deserve more credit than he is currently receiving on here . 

10 minutes ago, charlie king mvp said:

No Brechin supporter wants this to go wrong but this is a huge gamble. Michael O’Neill wasn’t going to take us into the Highland League. It might well be a genius move but the same people employed the last three managers.

After the last home game we could all attend in February I had a conversation with a director who was convinced that Mark Wilson would be a great manager.

I think there have been a few changes since then. 😉

I doubt if many know what he was offered . What we do know is that he glaringly stood out from the other applicants due to his preparation and attention to detail. 

I would like to think that has been the case with Michael Paton this time round. 

Last week's dramatic change in fortunes was certainly more than a lucky throw of the dice as the improvement was evident in all areas of the team.  I  think it deserve more credit than he is currently receiving on here . 

Let’s get real here, Michael O’Neill wasn’t offered a near 3 year deal and would doubt there have been any longer than the two year deal handed to Dods at the end of the promotion season.

Nobody is criticising the appointment of Paton in itself. He may well prove to be an excellent manager and I sincerely hope he does. It’s more how quick it has happened when perhaps we should have evaluated how things go over the next week or two first. The length of the contract concerns me, however I can only hope/assume that there is some form of clause included that isn’t going to f**k the club over should things not go to plan.

9 hours ago, mo83 said:

Cheap option.....Bottom 2 again this year for the city.What a free fall Brechin are in,shambles of a club at the minute reminds me of the Mo years ago.

All good points but at least, unlike the Mo, Brechin haven't been mad enough to make Hegarty their manager

Yet.

Was a much improved performance last week we looked like a totally different team and that was done with just one training session so I'm willing to give them a chance. So instead of moaning and picking at every little thing lets just get behind the team and support them ( hope im still saying that in a few months time)