The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

In England, the return of spectators to live football in October has been scraped, if this happens in Scotland many part time clubs who have now signed players will be fucked.

I think it’s worrying times for many clubs within Scottish Football, not only those at Part Time level. I honestly can’t see how a lot of clubs are going to get through this if we are looking at 6+ months

5 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I think it’s worrying times for many clubs within Scottish Football, not only those at Part Time level. I honestly can’t see how a lot of clubs are going to get through this if we are looking at 6+ months

This is where the SPFL  should be lobbying the Scottish parliament non stop to get supporters back in ASAP .   As you say a further 6 months will destroy all spectator sports. 

20 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

This is where the SPFL  should be lobbying the Scottish parliament non stop to get supporters back in ASAP .   As you say a further 6 months will destroy all spectator sports. 

I’ve written to my MSP today on this.  He also happens to be the Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing.  I’m just one fan but everyone should do it.  Remember there are elections next year.

The thing is, it's not the fault of a politician if fans cannot get back into games.

It's the fault of the virus, which no-one foresaw or asked for (although doubtless Labour and the Tories have been frantically trying to work out how to blame the SNP for it). I can just see the seething WEE NIPPY TORE UP MAH SEASON TICKET stuff coming already. There's a tendency now to blame politicians for the virus itself, rather than their management of it.

People just can't watch football safely and no responsible government can permit public events to go ahead where there is a chance- however small- that it will start the chains of a Covid transmission. it's not just football, all branches of the sports and entertainment industries have had it for the foreseeable. The theatre is fucked, maybe for good. Ditto night clubs and music venues. Ditto art galleries. All for the same reason as football.

I get there is a massive inconsistency re: pubs and restaurants, where there is a much greater chance of catching Covid than standing on a freezing afternoon at Glebe Park as part of a pre-booked, socially distanced crowd of around 350. I think the Scottish Government would close pubs and restaurants if it could, and if furlough was extended. Westminster won't do that though and ultimately they hold the purse strings.

Political energy must go into extending a package to help small part time clubs through this problem: be it in the form of an interest free govt. loan or some such. The Scottish Government won't just hand out a chunk of cash to one sector of the leisure economy with no strings attached as it would have to do so for everyone, and that money doesn't exist. Nonetheless, a loan to cover bare minimum costs whilst clubs go into hibernation, so that they are there to re-open and continue as community assets after the crisis passes, is vitally important I feel, now we're in a situation where fans don't look likely to be back until well into 2021.

Be in no doubt certain elements of the Scottish media, the "Project Brave" wingnuts, and the head of youth at Rangers will be *delighted* if Covid sees a swathe of small clubs close leaving the field free for Colts to enter ("small part time clubs just aren't viable anymore...what a pity')

I feel the best solution would be to void the season or just run the Scottish Cup for the part timers, with clubs continuing in hiberation until it is safe to re-emerge. It's an awful situation for everyone in the sport. Clubs could therefore meet minimal costs whilst going into abeyance until organised sport can (hopefully) resume for season 21/22.

I was really looking forward to the re-start, I write this as someone who couldn't wait to be back at a game in October. It's really gutting and massively demoralising and frustrating. There's no point fighting a hopeless battle to have fans at games- the government clearly just isn't going to wear that- the battle now is to ensure the survival of our clubs so that they are still around when this bloody thing has been beaten.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

5 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The thing is, it's not the fault of a politician if fans cannot get back into games.

It's the fault of the virus, which no-one foresaw or asked for (although doubtless Labour and the Tories have been frantically trying to work out how to blame the SNP for it). I can just see the seething WEE NIPPY TORE UP MAH SEASON TICKET stuff coming already. There's a tendency now to blame politicians for the virus itself, rather than their management of it.

People just can't watch football safely and no responsible government can permit public events to go ahead where there is a chance- however small- that it will start the chains of a Covid transmission. it's not just football, all branches of the sports and entertainment industries have had it for the foreseeable. The theatre is fucked, maybe for good. Ditto night clubs and music venues. Ditto art galleries. All for the same reason as football.

I get there is a massive inconsistency re: pubs and restaurants, where there is a much greater chance of catching Covid than standing on a freezing afternoon at Glebe Park as part of a pre-booked, socially distanced crowd of around 350. I think the Scottish Government would close pubs and restaurants if it could, and if furlough was extended. Westminster won't do that though and ultimately they hold the purse strings.

Political energy must go into extending a package to help small part time clubs through this problem: be it in the form of an interest free govt. loan or some such. The Scottish Government won't just hand out a chunk of cash to one sector of the leisure economy with no strings attached as it would have to do so for everyone, and that money doesn't exist. Nonetheless, a loan to cover bare minimum costs whilst clubs go into hibernation, so that they are there to re-open and continue as community assets after the crisis passes, is vitally important I feel, now we're in a situation where fans don't look likely to be back until well into 2021.

Be in no doubt certain elements of the Scottish media, the "Project Brave" wingnuts, and the head of youth at Rangers will be *delighted* if Covid sees a swathe of small clubs close leaving the field free for Colts to enter ("small part time clubs just aren't viable anymore...what a pity')

I feel the best solution would be to void the season or just run the Scottish Cup for the part timers, with clubs continuing in hiberation until it is safe to re-emerge. It's an awful situation for everyone in the sport. Clubs could therefore meet minimal costs whilst going into abeyance until organised sport can (hopefully) resume for season 21/22.

I was really looking forward to the re-start, I write this as someone who couldn't wait to be back at a game in October. It's really gutting and massively demoralising and frustrating. There's no point fighting a hopeless battle to have fans at games- the government clearly just isn't going to wear that- the battle now is to ensure the survival of our clubs so that they are still around when this bloody thing has been beaten.

If Glasgow had been treated like Aberdeen weeks ago when it was obvious to everyone that more serious action was required we wouldn’t be in this situation. Too many SNP voters in Glasgow?

I didn't really offer comment on whether they are doing a good job or not. Which is why I questioned your original intervention.

FWIW I don't think Nicola Sturgeon is doing as badly as Boris Johnson but that's hardly a high bar. Certainly gruesome blunders have been made in Edinburgh too. I think clubs at our level need help to get through the winter now there won't be a meaningful season. That's it.

11 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I didn't really offer comment on whether they are doing a good job or not. Which is why I questioned your original intervention.

FWIW I don't think Nicola Sturgeon is doing as badly as Boris Johnson but that's hardly a high bar. Certainly gruesome blunders have been made in Edinburgh too. I think clubs at our level need help to get through the winter now there won't be a meaningful season. That's it.

Well, I certainly agree with your second paragraph. I was optimistic before the latest issues.