The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

RIP George Johnston a Brechin City man thru and thru and a really great and unassuming person  - a very fitting tribute below from Brechin's Website

It is with great sadness that the Club learned of the passing on Friday 14th August 2020, of our former Committee Member, Secretary and Honorary Life Member – George Johnston.

Put simply, George Johnston was without doubt one of the most honourable and humble men you could ever hope to meet.

During his time as Secretary of Brechin City Football Club, he fulfilled a variety of different roles in addition to those normally associated with a Club Secretary. He had a large input into all the club's financial dealings, took a lead role in organising player contracts and transfers, and oversaw many of the ground improvements which took place in the 80s and early 90s.

He also acted as Minute Secretary, and the minutes from the Club's fortnightly meetings were meticulously handwritten and concise. The minute books he presided over will always be kept, acting as a wonderful and wholly accurate summation of the club's history during George's 25 years of direct involvement.

George never sought the limelight, and even in moments of great success on the park – and there were many during such a lengthy tenure – he always took a backseat, leaving it to others to bask in the glory. Above all, George was your archetypal gentleman. Win lose or draw, he displayed exceptional diplomacy in his dealings with opposition directors, management and supporters. Even after he retired from the Club's Management Committee, he was a regular fixture at home games where, behind the scenes, he once again proved to be an outstanding servant to the Club.

In a personal tribute, Chairman Ken Ferguson said, "It was George who introduced me to the official side of Brechin City FC when I was enrolled as club photographer. During a period of illness George asked me to help out with his secretarial duties. It was at this time that I grew to understand the sheer dedication and pride George took in his work for the Club.

"George, as we all know, was a mild mannered gentleman who went about his duties in a cool, calm collected way. However, if he asked for a quiet word you knew there was something important coming your way and you had better deal with the matter to the same high standard that George would have adopted himself. These high standards earned George the respect of football administrators throughout the country – many of whom became close friends and still ask for George to this day.

"George built strong and lasting relationships with so many referees and linesmen in what was a different time. The respect extended to George by the game as a whole was probably best felt at a dinner in the Glenesk Hotel, Edzell attended by the secretary of secretaries Jim Farry. It was at events like this that we witnessed another side to George’s personality – his wit and humour. On many an occasion we were in stitches at his quick, quiet one liners.

"Rest in peace George, your suffering is over. You will be sorely missed by us all.”

In his own quiet and unassuming way George Johnston was undoubtedly a genuine legend in the history of Brechin City Football Club, and his passing has left a huge hole in the lives of many of those, both past and present, associated with the Club.

The world is definitely a sadder and emptier place without George, and his overall contribution to Brechin City Football Club will never be forgotten.

Our thoughts and condolences go out to Pat and Keith, as well as his immediate and wider family and friends, at this saddest of times.

I can see the Brechin fans are excited by Connor Coupe signing,Good addition to the squad going by what I have seen of him.Two good signings to start off with you will have to be reasonably pleased with who he has brought in. 

41 minutes ago, mo83 said:

I can see the Brechin fans are excited by Connor Coupe signing,Good addition to the squad going by what I have seen of him.Two good signings to start off with you will have to be reasonably pleased with who he has brought in. 

Hard to get excited about any football just now TBH  but yes , they seem like a couple of decent guys going by the reactions on here.  Hopefully more to come soon. 

On 14/08/2020 at 12:03, Cauliflower-HMFC said:

Rory Currie will rip Kelty apart

On 14/08/2020 at 12:46, mo83 said:

Rory Currie a good bit of business for you lot...👍👍👍

On 14/08/2020 at 13:02, ewan_fife said:

Really liked Rory at east fife, that could turn out to be a cracking signing for you guys.

On 14/08/2020 at 22:16, Gordon EF said:

Great signing for Brechin. Hope he gets a hat trick against K€lty.

A striker called Rory, moves from a (ex) premiership team to Brechin.  Why am i getting a sense of deja vu? :unsure2:

29 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

Are we now able to get into the Glebe from 14th Sept? Social distance should not be much of an issue in our league.

Maybe no traveling fans?

SFA to stuff this up or Aberdeen 8?

If the restrictions are eased  then possibly . Under current restrictions I would doubt it. 

It is not so much the distancing while watching , it is more the facilities such as toilets , refreshment hut etc.  Plus the changing areas and boardroom etc .  They are not exactly expansive and would need a fair bit of organising and marshalling. 

7 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

If the restrictions are eased  then possibly . Under current restrictions I would doubt it. 

It is not so much the distancing while watching , it is more the facilities such as toilets , refreshment hut etc.  Plus the changing areas and boardroom etc .  They are not exactly expansive and would need a fair bit of organising and marshalling. 

It seems strange I could pass a big queue in Musselburgh for Luca's ice-cream shop but I couldn't get a pie at Glebe Park.

25 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

We must've had a different Rory Currie on loan last season going on what the Fifers are saying.

Coupe will run all day but there's next to no end product.

you will forgive me for not puting too much faith in your thoughts about players "chuffed with that Jackson is a class act at this level"  😂

Edited by Best Team in Angus

3 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

you will forgive me for not put too much faith in your thoughts about players "chuffed with that Jackson is a class act at this level"  😂

Fair doos!

Tbf he has been for about a decade, injuries appear to have ruined him?