The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

I saw Brechin a few times last term. Would agree that McManus looked sharp and still a very handy player for League 2. Frustratingly Pongo could play at Championship level- wonderful ability to see a pass- but clearly can't be arsed keeping fit which is why he's at the Glebe. Either that or he finds it difficult to shed weight. He's a much better player than his brother, who was with us for a couple of seasons, but who was much slighter physically.

Realisitically I think only five of that squad would survive a fair-minded cull, plus Pongo if he commits to a fitness programme. The goalkeeper, maybe Dougie Hill, Hamilton, McIntosh- a handy utility player- Jimmy Scott also looked like he had something about him when he signed. 

Mark Wilson deserves a bit more time as he did improve the rancorous shambles he was left with. Hopefully City will be more competitive when football starts again.

, plus Pongo if he commits to a fitness programme.

I think we heard this once every 3 months during Pongo’s time at Gayfield. A shame because he’s one of the most technically gifted players in the lower leagues, and his goal scoring record with us was very impressive.

3 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Just a reminder in case you were not aware that we were treated the same as all others in the SPFL PLAY OFF POSITIONS 

No you weren’t. The SPFL acted unilaterally in cancelling the pyramid play off game, they have overlooked the fact that they had no right to do so.

What do you make of your club Brechin City 6 weeks back proposing to the SPFL/SFA that IF they were relegated they demanded to play in the Lowland League instead of the Highland League thus changing the Tay Bridge rule and Lowland League 16 club rule to meet their demands.

ALLEGEDLY the Lowland League board were told by the SPFL that Lowland League clubs had to vote to change the Lowland League rules to increase their league number to accommodate Brechin City , the SFA would have had to change the pyramid ruling on then Tay Bridge dividing line also to accommodate  Brechins wish.
Again ALLEGEDLY there was talk of Betfred Cup place and Tunnocks Challenge Cup places being withdrawn from the Lowland/Highland League if this wasn’t voted through. I believe Lowland League clubs due to the possible implications would have reluctantly have changed the league ruling to accommodate  Brechin IF they were relegated.

Would this be a case of chairman Ken Ferguson is using his power to influence for self gain. He and Brechin have won a watch now.

My feeling is that this would have been leaked by someone at the Lowland League if it was 100% true, but I can absolutely believe that some part of it is true.

The SPFL would struggle to sensibly withdraw those two teams from the League Cup because it would leave them trying to divide 38 teams into groups.

35 minutes ago, hawd the bus said:

What do you make of your club Brechin City 6 weeks back proposing to the SPFL/SFA that IF they were relegated they demanded to play in the Lowland League instead of the Highland League thus changing the Tay Bridge rule and Lowland League 16 club rule to meet their demands.

ALLEGEDLY the Lowland League board were told by the SPFL that Lowland League clubs had to vote to change the Lowland League rules to increase their league number to accommodate Brechin City , the SFA would have had to change the pyramid ruling on then Tay Bridge dividing line also to accommodate  Brechins wish.
Again ALLEGEDLY there was talk of Betfred Cup place and Tunnocks Challenge Cup places being withdrawn from the Lowland/Highland League if this wasn’t voted through. I believe Lowland League clubs due to the possible implications would have reluctantly have changed the league ruling to accommodate  Brechin IF they were relegated.

Would this be a case of chairman Ken Ferguson is using his power to influence for self gain. He and Brechin have won a watch now.

Dundee Junior teams will be happy to read this.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

My feeling is that this would have been leaked by someone at the Lowland League if it was 100% true, but I can absolutely believe that some part of it is true.

The SPFL would struggle to sensibly withdraw those two teams from the League Cup because it would leave them trying to divide 38 teams into groups.

As far as I’m aware, it’s 100% true. Brechin chairman blackmailing lowland league clubs via the spfl and wanting rules changed 3/4 way through a season. Now that same board was desperate to push through the resolution to save his own club and has succeeded on that front.  

Disappointed that Cove and Edinburgh seem happy to go along with the charlatans who want to close the shop.

1 hour ago, hawd the bus said:

I am led to believe that  a proposition was put to the SPFL.......... ENQUIRING  , NOT DEMANDING  whether it would be a possibility for  Brechin to be placed in the Lowland League  should they finish bottom and lose the play off games. 

Obviously this had to be discussed at all levels to form any agreement.   Whether or not this turned into the slanging match you suggest  is mere speculation given your use of a certain word. 

Given the misinformed  allegations aimed at  Ken "Farguson "  by Tam McManus and Barry Ferguson on a certain football talk show , I would think that arms and legs have been added to the  situation to suit certain agendas.  

6 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I am led to believe that  a proposition was put to the SPFL.......... ENQUIRING  , NOT DEMANDING  whether it would be a possibility for  Brechin to be placed in the Lowland League  should they finish bottom and lose the play off games. 

Obviously this had to be discussed at all levels to form any agreement.   Whether or not this turned into the slanging match you suggest  is mere speculation given your use of a certain word. 

Given the misinformed  allegations aimed at  Ken "Farguson "  by Tam McManus and Barry Ferguson on a certain football talk show , I would think that arms and legs have been added to the  situation to suit certain agendas.  

Wrong.