The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

36 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

What are Brechin’s fans thoughts on Wilson? Is he part of the reason you finished bottom and not worthy of the chance to try again next year, or do you genuinely believe he was dealt a raw deal and you saw enough to suggest he can get you back on track?

Jury is out.   He got the team playing a better , attacking style but the team's fitness  didn't do his tactics any justice.  

Okay s the season is over. TF.
Regardless of how we got here what next?
Is the squad going to get reshaped, we may not be able to sign but can we start casting?
With furloughing how does / did this impact on the monies raised. I would assume any left over from the fighting fund can be added to the pot for signing - I would be okay with this.  Will the additional money donated by the supporters club raised through season long activities and more recent efforts be put to players or general running costs (prob both)?
Either way we Mark Wilson needs to create a style of football that will entertain and bring the punters back, we have had near as dam 5 years of hell (set a side the great escape part 1 (part 2 being now) and the beginning of the following season) with some fairly abject performances and players in that time. Admittedly sometimes not been their fault but how they were set up.
Either way it has to get better, much better or their will not be a great escape part 3.

I would suggest rather than entertainment that winning should be the initial goal - one step at a time

We maybe improved a wee bit under Wilson but let’s face it that would not have been hard.  We were still nowhere nearly good enough.

I’m not sure I buy that we were more attacking either there were loads of games where we created virtually nothing.  Wilson was a gamble which hasn’t paid off so far anyway.  If we are lucky enough to be watching football in August and we get anything like a fulll season I haven’t seen anything from Wilson which suggests we won’t be in the same spot this time next year.  I hope I’m wrong but I just can’t see it.

I would have winning over so called entertaining football any day. There is nothing entertaining about watching your team get humped every week.

29 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

If you want entertainment try the circus was an old fitba saying.  10th place with goals aplenty and thrills or a dour safe 7th position - I know in the real world what will please most fans

The circus has definitely been alive and kicking this past couple of weeks .   A shame we have the prospect of dour safe 7th place to strive for if we ever see fitba again. 

13 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The circus has definitely been alive and kicking this past couple of weeks .   A shame we have the prospect of dour safe 7th place to strive for if we ever see fitba again. 

You can strive for what you like but you need to put in firm foundations rather than just invest in glitter and bunting when you try a turnaround 

Edited by Cowden Cowboy

Well that was an interesting response.

I have seen enough dour fitba to last a live time. I would like something a bit more dynamic than that. When we play a more entertaining game we get more fans coming, dour and defeats do not interest those 'thinking' about coming.

As for Wilson, he did try and change it about n January and there were signs even before that in what he was trying. I would however agree that we do not look fir enough, even with a fitness coach? 

Jury is out but he did start with a really poor hand - it will depend on what he keeps and what he can get in. Some of the younger guys do have potential - I would inclined to get rid of the older heads and bring in some fresh experience.

Discuss.

11 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

I have seen enough dour fitba to last a live time. I would like something a bit more dynamic than that. When we play a more entertaining game we get more fans coming, dour and defeats do not interest those 'thinking' about coming.

As for Wilson, he did try and change it about n January and there were signs even before that in what he was trying. I would however agree that we do not look fir enough, even with a fitness coach? 

Jury is out but he did start with a really poor hand - it will depend on what he keeps and what he can get in. Some of the younger guys do have potential - I would inclined to get rid of the older heads and bring in some fresh experience.

Discuss.

It was really damning that the oldest player in the squad (McManus) looked by some distance the fittest.  People looked at our squad and their first impression was that they weren’t fit.  Say this shutdown had only been  for four or five weeks and we were back playing this weekend, can you imagine what sort of state they would have been in.

The best football we played all season was probably around Christmas when we beat Stirling and Cowdenbeath and were  unlucky against Albion Rovers.  We seemed to have found a way of playing which the manager seemed happy with but in January after making a few signings he completely changed that.  We were on run of 10 games or so without winning and the formation and personnel were changed every week, and nothing seemed to work.  There just didn’t seem to be any clear thinking.

I have no idea which players we should keep really, there aren’t many who had anything like a good season.  But again starting from scratch like we did last summer is not a good idea either.

1 hour ago, Cold Feet said:

Discuss.

Not realistic unless you can out budget your rivals.  It’s a rebuild job not just in one fell bound you are free and en route to the title.  Do you want entertainment or for your club to recover and winsome games - getting both is a bonus ?

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not realistic unless you can out budget your rivals.  It’s a rebuild job not just in one fell bound you are free and en route to the title.  Do you want entertainment or for your club to recover and winsome games - getting both is a bonus ?

I think you can get both.  The reason we lost games was solely down to fitness. When you are unfit you lose concentration at vital moments.  The squad have proved that they can outplay most teams but only for short periods of the game. 

Why our management team can't recognise that fact is beyond me.  Even worse is that the management committee weren't  stressing that to the manager. ................Especially when they oversaw how Dick and Pink Campbell (as a team)  achieved both entertainment and the ability to win purely by being the fittest team in the league. Michael Oneil , Ray Mckinnon  and to an extent Jim Weir and Darren Dods  worked on this as well .  Dods though started the defend at all cost trend towards the end of his tenure. 

1 minute ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

No Dick and Pink won games and that is ‘entertaining’ in the sense that is what the public want.  

Wrong. Dick's philosophy  is to score more goals than the opposition . If that meant pumping 4 up front , that was what he did.  It was really entertaining watching his formations change 4 or 5 times in a game.  Pink ensured they were fit . 

That is more or less every manager’s philosophy!  To score less or the same as the other team won’t really fly as a workable philosophy!  I can’t quite recall any cavaliering approach from Dick’s teams, it was more about having good players and motivating them - if I recall he was sacked by Ross County for his non entertaining approach.  You are going on about entertaining but the vast majority of fans will accept winning over entertainment with no points value

43 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

That is more or less every manager’s philosophy!  To score less or the same as the other team won’t really fly as a workable philosophy!  I can’t quite recall any cavaliering approach from Dick’s teams, it was more about having good players and motivating them - if I recall he was sacked by Ross County for his non entertaining approach.  You are going on about entertaining but the vast majority of fans will accept winning over entertainment with no points value

I am relating purely to the Brechin City  situation . Football was very entertaining during Dick's spells with the club . What he did elsewhere has no bearing on my opinion at all. 

Edit . For what it is worth , he was on record this season as saying that he will give it a go and try to attack  in every game as that is what the supporters expect.  I hear very few negative comments from Arbroath supporters to suggest that he isn't doing just that. ...........................And funny enough Arbroath are one of the fittest teams in the league , the proof being the times they have come back to win late in games . 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

39 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I am relating purely to the Brechin City  situation . Football was very entertaining during Dick's spells with the club . What he did elsewhere has no bearing on my opinion at all. 

Edit . For what it is worth , he was on record this season as saying that he will give it a go and try to attack  in every game as that is what the supporters expect.  I hear very few negative comments from Arbroath supporters to suggest that he isn't doing just that. ...........................And funny enough Arbroath are one of the fittest teams in the league , the proof being the times they have come back to win late in games . 

Fitness is an entirely different aspect - you won’t win much if your team isn’t fit enough unless there is a major gulf in class 

On 18/04/2020 at 12:16, charlie king mvp said:

It was really damning that the oldest player in the squad (McManus) looked by some distance the fittest.  People looked at our squad and their first impression was that they weren’t fit.  Say this shutdown had only been  for four or five weeks and we were back playing this weekend, can you imagine what sort of state they would have been in.

The best football we played all season was probably around Christmas when we beat Stirling and Cowdenbeath and were  unlucky against Albion Rovers.  We seemed to have found a way of playing which the manager seemed happy with but in January after making a few signings he completely changed that.  We were on run of 10 games or so without winning and the formation and personnel were changed every week, and nothing seemed to work.  There just didn’t seem to be any clear thinking.

I have no idea which players we should keep really, there aren’t many who had anything like a good season.  But again starting from scratch like we did last summer is not a good idea either.

I would agree with this observation.

When I said I would get rid of the older players, I mean most, maybe he is the exception. It would indeed to be hard to identify who who you keep, most of the young guys were experiencing their first season at this level - some were promising, perhaps those that were shipped in January were not. 

we can not have a total strip down and start again, we are looking at about a 50/50 split btw remain and go, who they are, might be, who knows? Hopefully Mark