The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

21 minutes ago, charlie king mvp said:

It's not impossible though that's the point I'm trying to make.  Good players will always have choices. 

I'd agree. But I think it's realistic to acknowlegde that a club like Brechin might have particular problems attracting good players if they were to go into the Highland League.

Right now Brechin have something more to offer a central belt player above some ot the Lowland League clubs, for example. They'll probably be able to offer a bit more money than most of them and can offer a higher level of football. And that might convince a few players to give up the convenience of playing for a club closer to them. If that changes, Brechin would presumabley find it very difficult to compete with SPFL or clubs in the LL pyramid setup.

On the bright side, what Brechin should absolutely focus on in that scenario is attracting the best 'non-league' talent from the Dundee and Angus areas. they'll still be a relatively big fish at that level. So attracting players who're maybe out of favour at other Angus clubs and trying to get together the best local talent becomes an option that could certainly work.

On 09/02/2020 at 19:58, Binos said:

Another of Scotland's old clubs, in my mind at least, looking like exiting the league

Sad to watch

That's what happens in leagues once promotion and relegation are introduced. And they'll still be in a "league", with a chance of returning to the big time.

It's a lot better than the old system of re-election as was the case in the football league - was any team not re-elected to the scottish league post war? - where you vanished to the footballing equivalent of the gulags.

30 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'd agree. But I think it's realistic to acknowlegde that a club like Brechin might have particular problems attracting good players if they were to go into the Highland League.

Right now Brechin have something more to offer a central belt player above some ot the Lowland League clubs, for example. They'll probably be able to offer a bit more money than most of them and can offer a higher level of football. And that might convince a few players to give up the convenience of playing for a club closer to them. If that changes, Brechin would presumabley find it very difficult to compete with SPFL or clubs in the LL pyramid setup.

On the bright side, what Brechin should absolutely focus on in that scenario is attracting the best 'non-league' talent from the Dundee and Angus areas. they'll still be a relatively big fish at that level. So attracting players who're maybe out of favour at other Angus clubs and trying to get together the best local talent becomes an option that could certainly work.

Which goes back to my earlier post  about re starting a local scouting system. ...........A system that brought our greatest era of success. 

With all the chat about Brechin luring players from the Central Belt what's the situation at Arbroath, Forfar and Montrose? Do they bring players up from further south or do they tend to rely more on local players?

Majority of our squad is based in the central belt, and we train in Perth twice a week. I think Montrose also train in Perth, and Forfar maybe do one night at station park and one night in Perth.

You are not down yet. You've got the manager you've got, and you've got the team you've got. Best thing to do is get right behind them. We scraped through one play off on penalties, and in the other we looked gone for all money at half-time in the second leg but somehow turned it round. It can be done.

Majority of our squad is based in the central belt, and we train in Perth twice a week. I think Montrose also train in Perth, and Forfar maybe do one night at station park and one night in Perth.
Montrose train in Perth I'm led to believe,Majority of the squad are from Dundee,Perth,Fife area and going as far field Cammy Ballantyne in East Kilbride.No players at all from Aberdeen area now which we used to have years ago remember montrose when majority of the squad was from up that way.With Peterhead,Cove,Elgin and the big spenders in the highland league they Hoover up the best players now amongst them.
This is where I fear for Brechin if they did go into the Highland league am not sure what sort of players you would attract to try and get out it.

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Think we are one night at Station Park and one night at Stenhousemuir (to better suit central belt players in squad).

Edited by nofixedability

Andy Jackson, Jimmy Scott and Paddy O’Neil are contracted for next season. All 3 I’m sure are from the central belt so I’d be surprised if they were still here next season should we be in the Highland League.

Vast majority of our players are from central belt and wouldn’t expect any to stick around. Think Reekie, Inglis and Pongo are most local in Dundee.

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

Serious question for the Brechin fans, out of the squad right now if you guys were to go into the Highland League who do you think out of the current squad if any would stay on?

Why would they even want any of them to stay on? They're the ones getting them relegated

Why would they even want any of them to stay on? They're the ones getting them relegated
Because sometimes under better management players perform better?When we finished bottom of the pile and had to play Brora to stay in the league theirs not a hope in hell I would have imagined 5 of that squad lifting a league 2 title a couple years later.

Because sometimes under better management players perform better?When we finished bottom of the pile and had to play Brora to stay in the league theirs not a hope in hell I would have imagined 5 of that squad lifting a league 2 title a couple years later.

Likewise, 4 of the squad that finished 9th in League Two for us in 15/16 are regulars in the Championship for us.

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's what happens in leagues once promotion and relegation are introduced. And they'll still be in a "league", with a chance of returning to the big time.

It's a lot better than the old system of re-election as was the case in the football league - was any team not re-elected to the scottish league post war? - where you vanished to the footballing equivalent of the gulags.

Re-election didn't even apply after 1939. Indeed after 1897 the only SFL clubs ever to lose re-election votes were Ayr Parkhouse in 1904 and Nithsdale Wanderers in 1927.

SFL claimed to have put in place a "trapdoor" from 2005... However you had to finish bottom for 2yrs running, lose a vote (demoting you to associate membership), then fail to win a vote in either of the next 2yrs (to return you to full membership) - i.e. having shown no improvement. So to all practical purposes you had to finish bottom 4yrs running, and lose 3 votes, to actually drop out.

'Shire actually finished bottom of SFL for 5yrs running from 2003 to 2007... and promptly won 2007 vote.

Following year they finished 2nd bottom returning their 4-year clock to 0!

Brechin will have a good chance of being in the promotion play offs end of next season if they get relegated this season as the quality isn't as good in the HFL these days compared to years gone by.

But my feeling is the Brora will still be there and they will pose a serious threat to Brechin's prospects as will Fraserburgh.

Fancy you guys if you come up against Brora in the play off,Kelty could go either way but if its Bonnyrigg then I'm afraid its adios tae the SPFL.

I know a lot HL fans are looking forward tae visiting the Glebe if you do go down,for the novelty factor.

30 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Brechin will have a good chance of being in the promotion play offs end of next season if they get relegated this season as the quality isn't as good in the HFL these days compared to years gone by.

But my feeling is the Brora will still be there and they will pose a serious threat to Brechin's prospects as will Fraserburgh.

Fancy you guys if you come up against Brora in the play off,Kelty could go either way but if its Bonnyrigg then I'm afraid its adios tae the SPFL.

I know a lot HL fans are looking forward tae visiting the Glebe if you do go down,for the novelty factor.

And I’m sure many LG 2 fans are looking forward to visiting Brora or Fraserburgh.