The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Citytillidie said:

Does anyone know roughly how much we have raised with the fighting fund so far ?

Not exactly sure but in their time of need I would have thought it a nice gesture for some of the players to make an appearance in a fairly busy City Club to thank the fans for their support.  Lewis Mcminn came in for a short time but Aaron Lynass was ironically the only one who made the effort to sit and chat with the locals. 

Sorry to be negative again but it is these simple things that can make all the difference , especially when asking people to donate. 

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Not exactly sure but in their time of need I would have thought it a nice gesture for some of the players to make an appearance in a fairly busy City Club to thank the fans for their support.  Lewis Mcminn came in for a short time but Aaron Lynass was ironically the only one who made the effort to sit and chat with the locals. 

Sorry to be negative again but it is these simple things that can make all the difference , especially when asking people to donate. 

Is this a thing? I don't live in Brechin any longer so I tend to drive to games and don't tend to be in the City Club following the game. However I'm up visiting family at the moment so decided to have a few drinks after the game yesterday and I saw McMinn and Watt as well as Wilson who was in to draw the raffle. Given we have two areas of hospitality I wouldn't be necessarily expecting them to come into the bar as well. Does this happen at other clubs?

It's not the players that need to thank the supporters for their donations, it's the Management Committee and those that I spoke to yesterday were truly humbled and thankful for the response that they've had to the fighting fund. 

Having read your previous posts I'm not surprised in the slightest that you've managed to find a negative given there weren't many on the field yesterday.

1 minute ago, gm_1982 said:

Is this a thing? I don't live in Brechin any longer so I tend to drive to games and don't tend to be in the City Club following the game. However I'm up visiting family at the moment so decided to have a few drinks after the game yesterday and I saw McMinn and Watt as well as Wilson who was in to draw the raffle. Given we have two areas of hospitality I wouldn't be necessarily expecting them to come into the bar as well. Does this happen at other clubs?

It's not the players that need to thank the supporters for their donations, it's the Management Committee and those that I spoke to yesterday were truly humbled and thankful for the response that they've had to the fighting fund. 

Having read your previous posts I'm not surprised in the slightest that you've managed to find a negative given there weren't many on the field yesterday.

Fair do's .  

Spoke with a committee member who was very grateful and humbled by the response.

They have exceeded the lower figure that was mentioned and are well past it.

I might be dissappointed on occassions by committee decisions but dont go for the generic kicking that happens by those who will not step up for the committe. The biggest moaners dont step up and get involved.

I do not think for a minute that decisions are made with a view to run the club down.

I too donated.

I too spoke with a committee member who was also humbled by it all. .....Probably the same one.  

I was merely commenting on an observation which was noticed by a couple of others too.  I don't think it was an unreasonable suggestion , nor was it intended to offend anyone. 

For the record I also try to help out as much as possible...........maybe too much at times .   Probably time to take a back seat if it upsets people so much. 

7 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I too spoke with a committee member who was also humbled by it all. .....Probably the same one.  

I was merely commenting on an observation which was noticed by a couple of others too.  I don't think it was an unreasonable suggestion , nor was it intended to offend anyone. 

For the record I also try to help out as much as possible...........maybe too much at times .   Probably time to take a back seat if it upsets people so much. 

One person makes a comment about your comments and you want to punish the club at a time that they need all the help they can get !!. If the issue about the players was bothering so many in City Club did anyone take it up with any of the 3 or 4 committee members that were in ? 

Mon the City 

1 hour ago, Best Team in Angus said:

One person makes a comment about your comments and you want to punish the club at a time that they need all the help they can get !!. If the issue about the players was bothering so many in City Club did anyone take it up with any of the 3 or 4 committee members that were in ? 

Mon the City 

Punish the club ?   In what way ? 

I put forward a reasonable suggestion which seems to have ruffled a few feathers . I would have mentioned it when I left but there were none of the committee about then. 

42 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Punish the club ?   In what way ? 

I put forward a reasonable suggestion which seems to have ruffled a few feathers . I would have mentioned it when I left but there were none of the committee about then. 

By saying  "For the record I also try to help out as much as possible...........maybe too much at times .   Probably time to take a back seat if it upsets people so much."

Only one feather and yes you were there when at least one maybe 2 came into the City Club because one came in with us.

Anyway happy new year when it comes along 

Mon the City

9 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

By saying  "For the record I also try to help out as much as possible...........maybe too much at times .   Probably time to take a back seat if it upsets people so much."

Only one feather and yes you were there when at least one maybe 2 came into the City Club because one came in with us.

Anyway happy new year when it comes along 

Mon the City

Sometimes constructive criticism does get taken in the wrong context. 

Aye let's hope it's a happier New Year both on and off the park. 

14 hours ago, Mid-Links Faithful said:

What have Ferguson & Co done with the monies received from TV games and high profile cup draws. And this man has a voice at Hampden does he not?

The club haven't had actual specific TV games which generated huge income . Played Celtic  a couple of years back but that just helped get back on an even keel for a time. Since then they have had 2 managers' contracts to settle among the ever increasing running costs............. Hope that helps . 

Other than that I don't see what your point is . 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

How much are you expected to raise. Say for example you wanted Doris who would be a good player in League 2, probably getting 250 a week plus bonuses at us. His wages over 6 months would add up to a whole lot of money. Never mind a transfer fee on top of that.

What's the desired goal for this fighting fund total and who can you realistically see yourselves being able to afford after it to make enough of a difference?

On 31/12/2019 at 09:19, theoriginalhedge said:

The club haven't had actual specific TV games which generated huge income . Played Celtic  a couple of years back but that just helped get back on an even keel for a time. Since then they have had 2 managers' contracts to settle among the ever increasing running costs............. Hope that helps . 

Other than that I don't see what your point is . 

Mid- Links wants to know why we have went from a well run club and standard of football was good to a shit run club that is struggling with debt and the standard of football is shite.The blame lies with the committee and their silence is worrying.

On 19/12/2019 at 21:48, Aberdeen Cowden said:

We know what it’s like, we’ve all been there. Hopefully you can get it sorted and don’t do a “ Berwick”

I hate seeing Brechin where they are at, I have mates who are Brechin fans, and I saw many Brechiners thru to Links Park to support the Mo in our darkest hour against Brora when we were threatened with relegation to the Highland league (the club would have closed the doors).

3 hours ago, citydiehard said:

Mid- Links wants to know why we have went from a well run club and standard of football was good to a shit run club that is struggling with debt and the standard of football is shite.The blame lies with the committee and their silence is worrying.

You clearly were not at the open mtg as you would have had plenty opportunity to ask.

We ate still well run and respected, debt is no better or worse than the last 30 years.

All part time clubs are only one or two poor appointments from the position we are in.

On the whole most appointments over last 40 years have been decent enough.

On 31/12/2019 at 13:56, The Marly said:

Hi guys, how has young Ollie Hamilton been doing for you? Saw he scored a brace a few weeks ago, but haven't really kept up with his progress. TIA.

He’s done alright. Bit of a mixed bag as you would probably expect from a young loanee but definitely has potential. Seen to best effect on the counter attack. Summed up in one game on Saturday - first half some great runs; interacted well with the overlapping full back and some good crosses that we really should have capitalised on. Second half - whenever he got on the ball he seemed to overrun it or pick the wrong option. If he can improve his decision making he has a bright future. 

4 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

All part time clubs are only one or two poor appointments from the position we are in.

This is absolutely it. It looks/feels worse for us just now as we’ve dropped two divisions in short order - but what we’re looking at is reality for any team from Alloa downwards these days. It could happen to anyone and even if you’re sitting (relatively) pretty just now, even a Raith or Airdrie is only two poor appointments away from a playoff showdown date with a really hungry, well-funded lowland or highland league side. Whether those teams’ models are sustainable is neither here nor there. The lesson is that all P/T sides need to plan for a different sort of future with the flexibility/contingency to cope with a sudden dumping out of the top 42. Shire seem to have found themselves a sugar daddy but it’s far from certain they’ll be back any time soon while Berwick look doomed to a long stay down there. But any boards/committees thinking these were outliers need to have a rethink - this is the new reality. Obvs I hope we sign Messi with the fighting fund cash and end up winning the title but 😝

On 31/12/2019 at 09:19, theoriginalhedge said:

Played Celtic a couple of years back but that just helped get back on an even keel for a time.

On 02/01/2020 at 21:34, Cold Feet said:

debt is no better or worse than the last 30 years.

Bit of a contradiction here tbf.