The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Maurice Ross? Dundee lad was looking for a job on his return from Norway.Am sure he went to Motherwell to do something with them.

There were newspaper rumours saying he’d applied for our job when Dave Mackay was sacked. He’s head of youth development at Motherwell now and spoke a great game on the Open Goal podcast recently.

Trying to think of experienced managers that would be realistic targets and the only name I can come up with is Stevie Aitken, could that be a shout? Plucking the name from thin air obviously but you’d think he’d be looking for a way back in. If not then I suspect it might well be a rookie with Perth/Dundee/Aberdeen or Angus connections.

12 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Mutual agreement it says - most football resignations nowadays involve manager choosing between being sacked or resigning - get's the same pay off as it suits everyone for him to resign. 

The mutual agreement was that he resigned and the club accepted his resignation from what I am led to believe. 

17 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Thanks for that . Really informative.  You are right I think we should go for ..........who was it you said again ? 

Someone experienced, not really sure if Brechin can push the boat out and get a bigger name who would get you out the situation, you will know better than me. As I said good luck, it would be a shame if one of our neighbours went into the highland league like Montrose nearly did a few years back.

13 hours ago, Brechin City FC said:

Wish all the best to Smith.  His heart was clearly in the right place and at least he's brave enough to admit the results weren't good enough - if our previous manager had done the same we might not be in this position!

He was on a hiding to nothing last season, I'm not sure there were any managers that could have kept us up last season, and he's only been given 3 games to bed a whole squad together this season which I'm not sure is enough (I'm not counting the cup games as they were essentially pre-season for us).  We were also unlucky not to get at least a point against Annan.

As far as a new manager goes, I have no idea where we go from here.  None of the names mentioned I feel would be an improvement on Smith, and I think it's too much of a gamble at this stage to go for someone inexperienced.  I just hope the board take their time and make sure they get it right.

As a couple of previous posters have said, there is some quality there and with one or two key loan signings (midfielder and striker) I don't see why we can't turn things around.  I'm happy with the keepers we have, happy with Hill, Page and Reekie at the back, happy with McLaughlin, happy with McCord and Watt and happy with McManus and Hamilton.  That's 9 decent players.  The defence will improve as the team gets to know each other, we just need someone to put the ball in the net.

I'd like to see us try something like:

Sinclair

Reekie - Page - Hill - McLaughlin

McIntosh - McCord - Watt

Hamilton - McManus - Knox

or 5-4-1/5-2-3 with McIntosh slotting in at Right back.

McIntosh will be out for a wee while after being injured against Elgin.

3 hours ago, CITYLAD said:

No matter who the committee appoints this will be the most important appointment in clubs history it has to be correct getting it wrong doesn’t bare thinking about

On the bright side, if you did go down a short visit to the highland league would be a refreshing change and let’s be honest, you would have a far better chance of returning than Berwick do. There’s little competition in the Highland league compared to the lowland league.

1 hour ago, big al said:

On the bright side, if you did go down a short visit to the highland league would be a refreshing change and let’s be honest, you would have a far better chance of returning than Berwick do. There’s little competition in the Highland league compared to the lowland league.

You still have to finish top and win over two two legged play offs.. Even if - IF - Brora Rangers go up this season you still have Fraserburgh and Formartine United, not to mention Inverurie Locos and I'm sure Buckie Thistle would be in the mix, too.

1 hour ago, big al said:

Not so sure about that. Brora were up there with Cove last season.