The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

The reality here is that Barry's recruitment has been pretty poor and all left pretty late which shows a real lack of preparation for a new season. He should have had some business tied up early doors and had other potential targets addressed before the season ended. The last 2 managers have been experienced and look at what has happened. 

Lets be honest here, we are never going to get relegated so why not give a younger manager a chance to progress new ideas into the squad, a new vision and work towards progression for this season and next. Yes, a difficult time for the club but we are only 3 games in. The team is so low in confidence it's unreal, stevie c should also go

The reality here is that Barry's recruitment has been pretty poor and all left pretty late which shows a real lack of preparation for a new season. He should have had some business tied up early doors and had other potential targets addressed before the season ended. The last 2 managers have been experienced and look at what has happened. 
Lets be honest here, we are never going to get relegated so why not give a younger manager a chance to progress new ideas into the squad, a new vision and work towards progression for this season and next. Yes, a difficult time for the club but we are only 3 games in. The team is so low in confidence it's unreal, stevie c should also go
"Never going to get Relegated "What makes you think that?

4 minutes ago, mo83 said:
1 hour ago, Gold Dust said:

Its the only consistency that they have had recently!

Bit of an arrogant statement for him to make maybe thinks a white knight is going to ride in a Massey Ferguson to save the day.

I'm sure I heard a Berwick fan say that last season.

21 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Exactly what I thought! Clearly knows something the rest of us don't

Classic. Well said. Brechin get the pipe and slippers. Nothing to worry about. 33 friendlies to experiment with. 

19 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Sorry to disappoint you but Barry resigned .  He did the decent thing . 

Mutual agreement it says - most football resignations nowadays involve manager choosing between being sacked or resigning - get's the same pay off as it suits everyone for him to resign. 

The current squad that is there is more than enough to get up the league. 32 goals conceded so far after 10 games says it all and lack of fire power. A fresh face with different ideas and training methods may inject some life into the lads. A different attacking formation should be at the forefront and am sure a few gems are kicking about the east of Scotland/junior leagues which may benefit in the short term. 

The lack of strategy and shape during games games has been embarrassing and that’s nothing training can’t sort out with the right coaching. I fully believe with the correct appointment they will shoot up to mid table over the next few months.

58 minutes ago, mo83 said:
2 hours ago, Gold Dust said:

lot of folks biting on that one

The current squad that is there is more than enough to get up the league. 32 goals conceded so far after 10 games says it all and lack of fire power. A fresh face with different ideas and training methods may inject some life into the lads. A different attacking formation should be at the forefront and am sure a few gems are kicking about the east of Scotland/junior leagues which may benefit in the short term. 

The lack of strategy and shape during games games has been embarrassing and that’s nothing training can’t sort out with the right coaching. I fully believe with the correct appointment they will shoot up to mid table over the next few months.
Johnny Harvey levels of wildness here.

2 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
15 minutes ago, Gold Dust said:

Johnny Harvey levels of wildness here.

🤣🤣🤣 Christ not that bad 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

What team has nothing to do with it Falkirk Stadium is way better. Knew you would bite with that one:lol:

Pathetic to be on football forums looking for bites.

This is a serious platform. 

Smith done about as I'd have expected. Wasted his budget, like he did at us. Then chucks it because he's realised he can't do what's asked of him, just did it a few games earlier this season. Hopefully you get someone in who can stabalise the club and eventually take you up again.

We have some good players. Page and Hill SHOULD be a good central defence and I've been impressed by Reekie in defence as well. A fit McCord should stabilise a midfield and Shagger works tirelessly up front (so far with no support). Hamilton and Knox look potential tricky wingers but have been wasted by long high balls punted up to them. Some of the others are adequate to do ok in League 2 but we have lacked vision and focus, I've followed Brechin for over 60 years and don't think these are the worst players we have ever had in that time. I'm hopeful that a good manager see the best in these guys and organise a system to play to their strengths.
All is not yet lost, but I believe the time was right for a change in management.

What about Keith Gibson,young local manager.Done good things with Broughty,where now Montrose manager Stewart Petrie was his assistant,played for all the Angus teams bar Brechin,knows the league's,players,local junior s and now assistant at Elgin.

Wish all the best to Smith.  His heart was clearly in the right place and at least he's brave enough to admit the results weren't good enough - if our previous manager had done the same we might not be in this position!

He was on a hiding to nothing last season, I'm not sure there were any managers that could have kept us up last season, and he's only been given 3 games to bed a whole squad together this season which I'm not sure is enough (I'm not counting the cup games as they were essentially pre-season for us).  We were also unlucky not to get at least a point against Annan.

As far as a new manager goes, I have no idea where we go from here.  None of the names mentioned I feel would be an improvement on Smith, and I think it's too much of a gamble at this stage to go for someone inexperienced.  I just hope the board take their time and make sure they get it right.

As a couple of previous posters have said, there is some quality there and with one or two key loan signings (midfielder and striker) I don't see why we can't turn things around.  I'm happy with the keepers we have, happy with Hill, Page and Reekie at the back, happy with McLaughlin, happy with McCord and Watt and happy with McManus and Hamilton.  That's 9 decent players.  The defence will improve as the team gets to know each other, we just need someone to put the ball in the net.

I'd like to see us try something like:

Sinclair

Reekie - Page - Hill - McLaughlin

McIntosh - McCord - Watt

Hamilton - McManus - Knox

or 5-4-1/5-2-3 with McIntosh slotting in at Right back.

What about Keith Gibson,young local manager.Done good things with Broughty,where now Montrose manager Stewart Petrie was his assistant,played for all the Angus teams bar Brechin,knows the league's,players,local junior s and now assistant at Elgin.

That is a very good shout.Maurice Ross? Dundee lad was looking for a job on his return from Norway.Am sure he went to Motherwell to do something with them.