The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

3 hours ago, The Informer said:

No you weren’t. The SPFL acted unilaterally in cancelling the pyramid play off game, they have overlooked the fact that they had no right to do so.

But they cancelled all the other play off games as well why should Brechin be treated differently ? if all games had been taking place then no issue to  Brechin  having  to play their games as well. 

2 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

But they cancelled all the other play off games as well why should Brechin be treated differently ? if all games had been taking place then no issue to  Brechin  having  to play their games as well. 

All the other playoff games were between their clubs and in their remit. The pyramid playoff has a seperate section in the articles and it’s own rules which doesn’t allow for changes without agreement of all parties involved (SPFL, HFL, SLFL & SFA). It actually explicitly states that the format can be amended. Cancelling the playoff is not an amendment and isn’t in the spfl’s power to decide by my interpretation.

5 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

All the other playoff games were between their clubs and in their remit. The pyramid playoff has a seperate section in the articles and it’s own rules which doesn’t allow for changes without agreement of all parties involved (SPFL, HFL, SLFL & SFA). It actually explicitly states that the format can be amended. Cancelling the playoff is not an amendment and isn’t in the spfl’s power to decide by my interpretation.

By finishing the lowland league when they did ,  does that not also void any agreement to the pyramid system  as the decision was made by the Lowland League ?  Or does it only work one way ? 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

The Lowland League was concluded after a meeting with Neil Doncaster and the SPFL, I would safely assume it was concluded at their request.

The Lowland League provided a champion club for the pyramid playoff competition, the Highland League did likewise. The SPFL by their resolution identified club 42 according to the rules. They decided without agreement of all parties to cancel something which they don’t have the power to cancel according to their own rules.

2 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

The Lowland League was concluded after a meeting with Neil Doncaster and the SPFL, I would safely assume it was concluded at their request.

The Lowland League provided a champion club for the pyramid playoff competition, the Highland League did likewise. The SPFL by their resolution identified club 42 according to the rules. They decided without agreement of all parties to cancel something which they don’t have the power to cancel according to their own rules.

The point being there is a major health crisis and the play offs cannot be played - that’s the real world 

30 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

By finishing the lowland league when they did ,  does that not also void any agreement to the pyramid system  as the decision was made by the Lowland League ?  Or does it only work one way ? 

The SPFL rules only require that the Highland League and Lowland League both declare a champion, which they did. How those two leagues choose to determine that champion is of no relevance to the SPFL. The thing that is relevant to the SPFL is that any change to the Pyramid Play Off format has to be approved by the Highland League and Lowland League.

Of course, it is easy to argue that there is a force majeure at play here, and it is not reasonable to expect to hold that play-off. I would imagine that everyone would accept that is the case, but the Highland and Lowland Leagues are going to find that much easier to swallow if they feel there's a genuine effort to accommodate them going forward. If the SPFL end up approving the carve-up that the League 2 sides are suggesting then they may find both the Highland League and the Lowland League are a lot less forgiving of that breach of rules.

34 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The SPFL rules only require that the Highland League and Lowland League both declare a champion, which they did. How those two leagues choose to determine that champion is of no relevance to the SPFL. The thing that is relevant to the SPFL is that any change to the Pyramid Play Off format has to be approved by the Highland League and Lowland League.

Of course, it is easy to argue that there is a force majeure at play here, and it is not reasonable to expect to hold that play-off. I would imagine that everyone would accept that is the case, but the Highland and Lowland Leagues are going to find that much easier to swallow if they feel there's a genuine effort to accommodate them going forward. If the SPFL end up approving the carve-up that the League 2 sides are suggesting then they may find both the Highland League and the Lowland League are a lot less forgiving of that breach of rules.

That makes sense and I can see why they are a bit miffed . To suggest that Ken Ferguson was pulling the strings in all this  though is the bit I find hard to accept.  Decisions had to be made for a sensible conclusion to the season. I don't believe for one minute that Ken was the one dictating that saving Brechin City should be their priority. 

The whole reconstruction idea has been booted about most of this season .  It is not something that has just been introduced during  the lockdown period. 

However , to the onlooker, the decision making has been a bit haphazard to say the least so it is little wonder that questions are asked about the integrity of it all. The responses from the SPFL so far though seem to suggest that they have done everything above board . The allegations demanding transparency seem to come with no conclusive evidence of wrongdoing ..........unless of course there is a sting yet to come. 

46 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

The point being there is a major health crisis and the play offs cannot be played - that’s the real world 

The point being that the SPFL acted out with their powers, crisis or not, that is fact.

28 minutes ago, The Informer said:

The point being that the SPFL acted out with their powers, crisis or not, that is fact.

Well doubtless we could all get QC opinions or compile a dossier and call for an independent inquiry but in the real world some things are more important and lots of clubs have lost out on potential play offs including my own -C’est la vie

4 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Well doubtless we could all get QC opinions or compile a dossier and call for an independent inquiry but in the real world some things are more important and lots of clubs have lost out on potential play offs including my own -C’est la vie

Ok, let’s all stop debating football while the crisis is here. Hang on though! You have  managed to talk about the “Real World” , and how that is rightfully more important, but then go on to talk about teams missing out on play offs in the same sentence. Have those to be part of the real World? 😀

9 hours ago, The Informer said:

Ok, let’s all stop debating football while the crisis is here. Hang on though! You have  managed to talk about the “Real World” , and how that is rightfully more important, but then go on to talk about teams missing out on play offs in the same sentence. Have those to be part of the real World? 😀

They are part of the real world  and accepting the situation . 

Once again though , in the very unrealistic  event of  a dramatic u turn , when would you propose to play the play off games  ? 

14 hours ago, The Informer said:

I have been running companies now for around 35/40 years and have been involved in many contractual / company law issues never has it ever been black and white you quote something they quote something else and round it goes the only people who benefit are solicitors. I see today  big Dundee fan Jack Robertson a much respected and lovely man ( solicitor ) passed away over the weekend, he once said to me when discussing a case with me " dont go to court expecting justice " 

9 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

They are part of the real world  and accepting the situation . 

Once again though , in the very unrealistic  event of  a dramatic u turn , when would you propose to play the play off games  ? 

That’s the whole point, there shouldn’t need to be the need to have play offs, the reconstruction model should be to allow Kelty and Brora automatic promotion now. Instead we have a cabal who have now decided to block everything unless it suits them.

40 minutes ago, The Informer said:

That’s the whole point, there shouldn’t need to be the need to have play offs, the reconstruction model should be to allow Kelty and Brora automatic promotion now. Instead we have a cabal who have now decided to block everything unless it suits them.

So what’s your solution

Kelty and Brora up and automatic pyramid from next season. In football terms, Coronavirus is the best thing to happen ever for the LL and HL. 
Good to see your looking to compromise in these difficult times. 😂

11 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

So what’s your solution

Kelty and Brora up and automatic pyramid from next season. In football terms, Coronavirus is the best thing to happen ever for the LL and HL. 
Good to see your looking to compromise in these difficult times. 😂

Ehhhh, I gave my solution.🤪

19 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

And the compromise is ?

the spfl league 2 clubs are accused of self preservation, your solution could be regarded as blatant opportunism 

Why shouldn’t promotion for the winner of HL/LL playoff be automatic. Any restructuring should have that happening. Relegating club 42 automatically should be happening. 

The way I see it, league 2 clubs should be given the choice of 3 x 14 and club 42 down automatically or 14,10,10,10 and the playoff remaining. 

The only opportunism on show is the spfl clubs passing their resolution and then doing everything they can to deny hard working and ambitious clubs the opportunity to go up. 

Spfl clubs seem to forget that the clubs outside the pro leagues get little help financially from their league, while clubs like Cowdenbeath, Brechin etc get handed £70k+ Season after season and still run at considerable losses. If clubs in the LL and HL got the spfl/sfa cash those clubs do then they wouldn’t be running at six figure losses every year. 

24 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

And the compromise is ?

the spfl league 2 clubs are accused of self preservation, your solution could be regarded as blatant opportunism 

Apologies, I though we were working within the realms of a fully functioning pyramid? Maybe ask Brechin about the LL allowing them the chance to be relegated to there if it came to it? Opportunism, don’t make me laugh.

Bit like turkeys voting for Xmas. The bottom club 42 must be an automatic relegation - you're down there for  a reason,usually you're crap ! A working pyramid must see a route up and down,why play the season otherwise ? About time these spfl also rans realised what's at stake,go down and rebuild sensibly within your means.