Hedgecutter

The Brechin City 2019/20 Thread

33 minutes ago, theycallmetrinity said:
1 hour ago, Cove1922 said:
Things can't be that desperate.  

I bloody well hope not.

look at we’ve become.

sad times

Well. As you know, I’m not one to speculate but what I’m hearing is a good appointment (bear in mind this was at the same Stables I heard)

23 minutes ago, stovies said:

Well. As you know, I’m not one to speculate but what I’m hearing is a good appointment (bear in mind this was at the same Stables I heard)

Rumours of a saviour originating in the stables - could be the miracle worker we need

What’s Harry Cairney doing these days?
Always seemed to have Annan competing well in the bottom tier. And a great servant to City as a player!

16 hours ago, Infirmary Street said:

Rumours of a saviour originating in the stables - could be the miracle worker we need

I think the only thing you might find in stables is a horse's arse...

The time has arrived where radical change is needed in the way our football club is being run. For far too long people have been allowed to run this club the wrong way.

Us season ticket holders must demand change and demand it this week, we have now had 2 managers decline our offer of managing a potentially good club and guaranteed we will now end up sliding all the way into the Highland league if we do not stand together and insist on change.

This Club which was once the best football club in Angus has stood still whilst others have embraced change and looked to the future, the result is now clear to see, Arbroath, Forfar and Montrose well ahead financially because of their vision and willingness to listen to others and plan for the future.

If you continue to do what you have always done you we will not be here in a couple of years time, why is it that all the successful business people in Brechin don't have any involvement?

It is time to get us out of this mess now before it is too late, the committee have picked the people to manage the club and if compensation was paid to Darren Dodds for being a failure i do hope they paid this money from their own pockets because no manager in the lower leagues deserves to be paid for failure. 

57 minutes ago, brechin21 said:

no manager in the lower leagues deserves to be paid for failure. 

While I like the sentiment if someone has a contract they are entitled to be paid for the duration of that contract. If the employer wants to end it early they need to pay it up. That is the reality of football.

No sure why this is unique to lower league football though, do Scottish Premiership managers deserve to be paid for faile?

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

While I like the sentiment if someone has a contract they are entitled to be paid for the duration of that contract. If the employer wants to end it early they need to pay it up. That is the reality of football.

No sure why this is unique to lower league football though, do Scottish Premiership managers deserve to be paid for faile?

Premiership managers have a fallback position when they sacked, they are immediately employed as a tv / radio pundit. !

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

It is only the reality of football  because clubs have allowed it to become just that.  Contracts are heavily loaded in managers' favours .   Surely it is plausible to insert clauses or impose a procedure of warnings leading to dismissal should a manager drastically fail in his remit ?  

38 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

It is only the reality of football  because clubs have allowed it to become just that.  Contracts are heavily loaded in managers' favours .   Surely it is plausible to insert clauses or impose a procedure of warnings leading to dismissal should a manager drastically fail in his remit ?  

Such as? Most lower league managers will be on 1 year deals. So give me an example of a situation in your hypothetical? Smith for example has been sacked after 3 games or so. He could absolutely argue his team would still make the promotion playoffs (assuming that’s his set target).  

You can only be sacked for gross misconduct. Managers will be relieved of their duties by mutual consent if things are not going well. Therefore some financial package will have to be agreed. The word sacked is used in most cases and is factually incorrect (in most cases).

Such as? Most lower league managers will be on 1 year deals. So give me an example of a situation in your hypothetical? Smith for example has been sacked after 3 games or so. He could absolutely argue his team would still make the promotion playoffs (assuming that’s his set target).  

He wasn’t sacked

2 minutes ago, gm_1982 said:

He wasn’t sacked

Yeah they have come to an agreement in the best interests of both parties. But in a situation where you could sack managers without paying them off he would 100% have been sacked.

18 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Yeah they have come to an agreement in the best interests of both parties. But in a situation where you could sack managers without paying them off he would 100% have been sacked.

He resigned. 

In the case of Darren Dods who's team  failed to win a game all season , failing  miserably again  the following season  to then expect a considerable pay off is  wrong in my eyes. 

4 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

He resigned. 

In the case of Darren Dods who's team  failed to win a game all season , failing  miserably again  the following season  to then expect a considerable pay off is  wrong in my eyes. 

Was Dods still under contract at the end of that dismal season? If so that’s your club’s fault. You could easily structure a one year deal with an option of a second and not take it. Nothing to do with fairness. So you’re admitting it can only work come season end when most managers are out of contract anyway? 

30 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

He resigned. 

It's just honouring a contract(not a considerable pay off) that was signed by both parties. Employment law dictates this. There was no reason for him to be sacked. Bad results in a football league does not constitute gross misconduct. We should all be thankful this law is in place.

9 minutes ago, onecowden said:

It's just honouring a contract(not a considerable pay off) that was signed by both parties. Employment law dictates this. There was no reason for him to be sacked. Bad results in a football league does not constitute gross misconduct. We should all be thankful this law is in place.

All I am saying is that contracts could and should be drawn up to safeguard clubs as well as the managers.  Football is a results driven industry after all.  

7 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

All I am saying is that contracts could and should be drawn up to safeguard clubs as well as the managers.  Football is a results driven industry after all.  

As long as it is within the law, you can put whatever you like in a contract. The employers (club) can get it wrong by employing the wrong man. That's not the fault of the employee (manager) so he should be paid his contract. Many things can cause teams to go on a downward spiral - money for recruitment not given, injuries, suspensions, personell in the dressing room not conforming causing unrest. However I will be annoyingly repetetive here and mention employment law dictates severence pay or not. Mind you, if Demonic Raab gets his way that could all end.

44 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Was Dods still under contract at the end of that dismal season? If so that’s your club’s fault. You could easily structure a one year deal with an option of a second and not take it. Nothing to do with fairness. So you’re admitting it can only work come season end when most managers are out of contract anyway? 

He probably was , which is the problem I was trying to highlight.  Clubs in their quest for glory are always going to look on the optimistic side with any new manager and will do their utmost to give him all he asks for including attractive contracts.  No one really predicts it going tits up at the start.