The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

• 2 weeks later...

The restrictions associated with the COVID19 pandemic means that Brechin City Football Club essentially ceased to have any commercial revenue when football was shut down on 13 March 2020.

This severe financial set-back was compounded by the necessary decision to cancel/suspend two important fundraisers, the annual Sportsman's Dinner and the popular Glebe Gamble lottery.

As always, Brechin City relies on its loyal supporters and the wider Brechin community when financial support is required.  In this instance we are asking you to  consider contributing to our fundraising drive in the knowledge that this is also a difficult time for many locally-based individuals and organisations.  

To assist the club, BackingBrechinCity has launched a GoFundMe page - LINK REMOVED. to provide the club's supporters with an easy method of contributing online to our modest fundraising drive, in which we are asking for your help in raising £500 (initially at least), through welcome contributions of any amount.

To get the ball rolling we have donated £100 and we will add to that amount when we can.

Please visit our GoFundMe page, sign up and help us help Brechin City Football Club.

Thank you.

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

The restrictions associated with the COVID19 pandemic means that Brechin City Football Club essentially ceased to have any commercial revenue when football was shut down on 13 March 2020.

This severe financial set-back was compounded by the necessary decision to cancel/suspend two important fundraisers, the annual Sportsman's Dinner and the popular Glebe Gamble lottery.

As always, Brechin City relies on its loyal supporters and the wider Brechin community when financial support is required.  In this instance we are asking you to  consider contributing to our fundraising drive in the knowledge that this is also a difficult time for many locally-based individuals and organisations.  

To assist the club, BackingBrechinCity has launched a GoFundMe page - see[link removed] - to provide the club's supporters with an easy method of contributing online to our modest fundraising drive, in which we are asking for your help in raising £500 (initially at least), through welcome contributions of any amount.

To get the ball rolling we have donated £100 and we will add to that amount when we can.

Please visit our GoFundMe page, sign up and help us help Brechin City Football Club.

Thank you.

Sure thing anonymous internet person. How much would you recommend I invest into the Go Fund Me account you set up by yourself with no official club involvement?

Edited by Mr X

1 hour ago, BackingBrechinCity said:

To assist the club, BackingBrechinCity has launched a GoFundMe page - LINK REMOVED. to provide the club's supporters with an easy method of contributing online to our modest fundraising drive, in which we are asking for your help in raising £500 (initially at least), through welcome contributions of any amount.

Thank you.

I've removed your link. There is no way of knowing if this is a scam or not and we've had a report to say Brechin City know nothing about it. Why not just donate money to them directly?

Edit: I've no reason to doubt your sincerity, but you can see why people are suspicious of an anonymous gofundme page from a poster who has only been on the site for a few weeks. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

I would have thought that the committee should be making some sort of comment about any plans they have to try and survive all that seems to be happening is telling of things that are being cancelled. They never seem to learn about the lack of communication with fans

Would people who donated to the fighting fund be happy for the balance left to be used to help save the club ?

13 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

I would have thought that the committee should be making some sort of comment about any plans they have to try and survive all that seems to be happening is telling of things that are being cancelled. They never seem to learn about the lack of communication with fans

Would people who donated to the fighting fund be happy for the balance left to be used to help save the club ?

I certainly would 

I can see why people might be suspicious but I am doing this because the Fighting Fund is ringfenced and the club does not provide any other online method of making a donation.

If the club launches a similar scheme to Stirling Albions (Target £10,000) I will hppily close the present set-up and donate what has already been collected - including my own £100.

It's quite clear doing nothing is not the aswer. Aside from the half-expected scam accusations, BackingBrechinCity has had a very encouraging response to our idea of an initial gofundme target of £500 to support BCFC at this time. If supporters of the gofundme scheme managed to donate £19.06, either in one payment, or in a series of smaller payments, that would be really great.

Edited by BackingBrechinCity

6 hours ago, BackingBrechinCity said:

I can see why people might be suspicious but I am doing this because the Fighting Fund is ringfenced and the club does not provide any other online method of making a donation.

If the club launches a similar scheme to Stirling Albions (Target £10,000) I will hppily close the present set-up and donate what has already been collected - including my own £100.

It's quite clear doing nothing is not the aswer. Aside from the half-expected scam accusations, BackingBrechinCity has had a very encouraging response to our idea of an initial gofundme target of £500 to support BCFC at this time. If supporters of the gofundme scheme managed to donate £19.06, either in one payment, or in a series of smaller payments, that would be really great.

All credit to you but the correct approach would have been to contact the club first . There may be constitutional and copyright  issues about the  use of the club badge etc for such purposes . 

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. For a number of reasons I have closed the BackingBrechinCity Forum and the GoFundMe account. I will close the Twitter account once I am certain that the chap who added £10 to my £100 donation has been refunded by GoFundMe .

You now only hav my word for it, but on the  BackingBrechinCityForum I did detail my frustration in trying to deal with the club in the weeks after I had donated £100 to the (what was stated to be a ringfenced) Fighting Fund.

Brechin City is a great club by any measurement and I wish them all the best.  I reget I was not able to make a more telling and longer-lasting contribution.

6 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

I see other clubs at our level have taken action on reducing players fees or staff volunteered to stop taking money. Any word of this happening here?

Maybe with all this happening , now is the time for the SPFL to have the balls to make a decision for the good of Scottish football and end the season now.  That way clubs won't be left in limbo wondering if they need to retain players , extend contracts etc.  

Maybe with all this happening , now is the time for the SPFL to have the balls to make a decision for the good of Scottish football and end the season now.  That way clubs won't be left in limbo wondering if they need to retain players , extend contracts etc.  

Yous lot have won a watch make sure you get your house in order next season !!!

Sent from my Samsung s20 gold

9 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

Yous lot have won a watch make sure you get your house in order next season !!!

Sent from my Samsung s20 gold

That statement was nothing to do with our situation.  I was thinking about all the other clubs who are asking players to take pay cuts to survive. Surely the SPFL have an obligation to help them as much as possible ? 

As a Montrose fan, I want to say thank you to the Brechin lads that made a donation to our fund.

Very kind, and we are hoping everything goes well for City.

Myself and I dare say some other Mo fans have contributed to your gofundme, to show appreciation and solidarity!

Okay s the season is over. TF.

Regardless of how we got here what next?

Is the squad going to get reshaped, we may not be able to sign but can we start casting?

With furloughing how does / did this impact on the monies raised. I would assume any left over from the fighting fund can be added to the pot for signing - I would be okay with this.  Will the additional money donated by the supporters club raised through season long activities and more recent efforts be put to players or general running costs (prob both)?

Either way we Mark Wilson needs to create a style of football that will entertain and bring the punters back, we have had near as dam 5 years of hell (set a side the great escape part 1 (part 2 being now) and the beginning of the following season) with some fairly abject performances and players in that time. Admittedly sometimes not been their fault but how they were set up.

Either way it has to get better, much better or their will not be a great escape part 3.

Either way we Mark Wilson needs to create a style of football that will entertain and bring the punters back, we have had near as dam 5 years of hell

What are Brechin’s fans thoughts on Wilson? Is he part of the reason you finished bottom and not worthy of the chance to try again next year, or do you genuinely believe he was dealt a raw deal and you saw enough to suggest he can get you back on track?