The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Aye, a bit of a stretch to think the whole of Scottish fitba would be molded to save our skins.

It would have to benefit the big boys first.

Restructure and daft rules have saved clubs in the past, Aberdeen comes to mind.

And we set up defensively today and ate 1 -0 down🤯

27 minutes ago, gogsy said:

According to Wikipedia(not the most reliable of sites I know) that's 3 wins in  24 for Mark Wilson, approaching Johnny Harvey levels of incompetence.

Harvey did awrite he got Berwick doon 

Aye just two goals today, hes pish.

He has been pish. A decent finish for his first goal today doesn’t change that. He’s offered very little.

I should add that every signing made by Wilson the last couple of months have offered very little, with the possible exception of Petkov.

1 hour ago, gm_1982 said:

He has been pish. A decent finish for his first goal today doesn’t change that. He’s offered very little.

Since Scott has signed, he's scored 3.  The only other goal we've scored since then was a Kieran Inglis penalty.  I'm not sure how much more you're expecting from him.

1 hour ago, gm_1982 said:

I should add that every signing made by Wilson the last couple of months have offered very little, with the possible exception of Petkov.

I think you're forgetting just how poor the squad was before January.  Wilson got rid of Ngoy, Crawford and Knox and replaced them with Scott, Jackson and McCabe (the latter two haven't lit the heather on fire and should be doing better but are still an improvement on what we had).  He's also sent back the keeper to St Johnstone who was just taking up a loan spot and brought in Petkov and Strachan to improve the defence.

We're in the position we're in because of mistakes made in previous seasons (Dods should have been sacked at the end of the Championship season, Smith should have gone at the end of the League One season).  Wilson was never going to come in and suddenly make us a good team again, but there have definitely been improvements made.  Unfortunately those improvements aren't going to be enough to stop us finishing bottom.  Hopefully by the time the playoffs come around there will have been further improvements to pull off another 'great escape'.

I think you're forgetting just how poor the squad was before January.  Wilson got rid of Ngoy, Crawford and Knox and replaced them with Scott, Jackson and McCabe (the latter two haven't lit the heather on fire and should be doing better but are still an improvement on what we had).  He's also sent back the keeper to St Johnstone who was just taking up a loan spot and brought in Petkov and Strachan to improve the defence.
We're in the position we're in because of mistakes made in previous seasons (Dods should have been sacked at the end of the Championship season, Smith should have gone at the end of the League One season).  Wilson was never going to come in and suddenly make us a good team again, but there have definitely been improvements made.  Unfortunately those improvements aren't going to be enough to stop us finishing bottom.  Hopefully by the time the playoffs come around there will have been further improvements to pull off another 'great escape'.

What improvements? Other than those two matches recently in which we kept clean sheets (offering very little threat at the other end as a result) we’ve still been leaking soft goals left right and centre.

Mark has come in at a difficult time and his hands are a little tied but 3 wins in 24 matches is a dire record in any case. He’s been backed well in January but despite what you say I don’t think we are much stronger. On paper, yes, but these players are either unfit or underperforming.

There are far too many players that are overweight which is affecting us greatly, why can’t the coaching staff see this!

1 minute ago, gm_1982 said:

What improvements? Other than those two matches recently in which we kept clean sheets (offering very little threat at the other end as a result) we’ve still been leaking soft goals left right and centre.

Mark has come in at a difficult time and his hands are a little tied but 3 wins in 24 matches is a dire record in any case. He’s been backed well in January but despite what you say I don’t think we are much stronger. On paper, yes, but these players are either unfit or underperforming.

There are far too many players that are overweight which is affecting us greatly, why can’t the coaching staff see this!

Two good draws. Just need a win to get momentum and then who knows.

As a neutral I saw the overweight / poor fitness as clear as day. Jacko, McCord and Page go name but 3.

When we beat Brechin 3-2, shagger looked very fit and did some good link up play, despite his age, good luck with survival, need to get a win on board, don't think Albion Rovers look side, ready to win anytime soon yet, so its not over

Edited by SuperCowden

14 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:
15 hours ago, welshbairn said:
I don't think Brechin should be allowed into the Highland League until they upgrade their facilities. Like getting a railway station.

They've got one. It's just that the only train running goes to the Queen's highland hoose.

What?? 

6 hours ago, gogsy said:

According to Wikipedia(not the most reliable of sites I know) that's 3 wins in  24 for Mark Wilson, approaching Johnny Harvey levels of incompetence.

This on the other hand is a non-idiot post.    CBA checking the stats but can’t be far off. You bring in a new manager, you look for a bounce at the very least. Fair enough, he inherited a rubbish team from Smith (who inherited rubbish from Dods). But, two back to back wins in December aside, he’s never really looked like producing the necessary improvement. The occasional goalless draw has been hailed as some kind of brave new world but when you’re as far behind as we are, you need wins - and plenty of ‘em. We don’t have tons of quality - but neither do most of the teams in this league, Cove aside. What we do expect then is 110% commitment/will to win, ideally 120%, and there’s been precious little evidence that Wilson is able to get that out of this squad. Wasn’t at the game today - anticipated a defeat and couldn’t justify the trip up. But I’ve been at the Glebe plenty this season. I’d love to be able to say that the players have been sweating blood to get us out of this situation but I just haven’t seen it. Not the first time i’ve suggested this but do we need to accept that we are facing a playoff now and look for a short-term appointment who would be better equipped to get us through that? Confidence/momentum is huge and we don’t want to be going into a pair of games against Brora/Kelty on the back of a bunch of defeats and the odd 0-0 draw

Lots of good points being made in recent posts but I would query whether there is really anything to be gained by going over (yet again) the events of the last two seasons. The question to be considered now is: what can we supporters do to help?

Any neutral attending a match at Cliftonhill would find a small support (200 approx)  all standing on the one side of their ground - and making some noise! At the Glebe around 400 people are spread thinly on all four sides of the ground - and the result is there's more atmosphere in the adjacent cemetery.

Surely a decent percentage of the 400 Brechiners could agree to stand together behind whatever goal Brechin are shooting towards - and give the team some collective encouragement; an organisational task for the Supporters Club perhaps? 

Yes the team is limited and some do look unfit but according to the manager the players haven't given up. Neither should we. In Brechin's last eight League Two matches, five are at home, including one v the Rovers.  We can still do it!!!

https://brechincity.freeforums.net/.