The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

I do fear for Brechin if they go down. The geographical nature of  the four Angus clubs means the current central belt policy would be a much harder sell in the crowded and increasingly competitive LL, and the cream of the part time Aberdeen-area players are going to flock to Locos/Formratine/Cove while they still have the taps on financially. That was my concern in 2014/15, and the dregs of the Dundee player pool would probably be the only option going forward. 

I don't think they're doomed this season yet (certainly not in the state of omnishambles that Berwexit got themselves into) , but a team which is unfit, struggling for motivation, and at the mercy of an inexperienced manager (echoes of us in 14/15 again) are going to be vulnerable. The Hegarty/Holt lightning bolt won't strike twice here. Against Brora, I'd back this side (just), but an on-song Kelty would cut through them. Would be a real shame to lose the hedge if it happened.

4 hours ago, Scorge said:

I do fear for Brechin if they go down. The geographical nature of  the four Angus clubs means the current central belt policy would be a much harder sell in the crowded and increasingly competitive LL, and the cream of the part time Aberdeen-area players are going to flock to Locos/Formratine/Cove while they still have the taps on financially. That was my concern in 2014/15, and the dregs of the Dundee player pool would probably be the only option going forward. 

I don't think they're doomed this season yet (certainly not in the state of omnishambles that Berwexit got themselves into) , but a team which is unfit, struggling for motivation, and at the mercy of an inexperienced manager (echoes of us in 14/15 again) are going to be vulnerable. The Hegarty/Holt lightning bolt won't strike twice here. Against Brora, I'd back this side (just), but an on-song Kelty would cut through them. Would be a real shame to lose the hedge if it happened.

I am not convinced that Kelty would cut through the likes of Brechin. I have seen both and still think Brechin are a much better team than most of the Lowland League and Kelty would find it a much tougher task. I still think Bonnyrigg will win the Lowland League anyway.

If Brechin worked on the fitness & defending, they could definitely see past Brora or Kelty, I've seen enough from them to think so but the players will need to believe & the manager will need to come well prepared over the 2 legs, I wouldn't like to see Brechin go either, to a new money side , Bonnyrigg got very decent side, you might be right pele, they've just come into the lowland league but look very dangerous, from highlights I've seen, i reckon they could give most div 2 sides a game , from what I've seen & they showed up well in the cup too recently

Edited by SuperCowden

Watching from the outside it seems that Mark Wilson was completely the wrong appointment, you needed a safe pair of hands, someone experienced who could pull in some favours with good loans and also motivate your existing bunch, get them stop conceding goals and being hard to beat. 

I really really hope Brechin can win the play offs, very sad to see what is happening, best of luck that you get out of it. We were in a horrible situation a few years back where if we'd lost a few more games we could've been looking at playing in play offs. 

27 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Watching from the outside it seems that Mark Wilson was completely the wrong appointment, you needed a safe pair of hands, someone experienced who could pull in some favours with good loans and also motivate your existing bunch, get them stop conceding goals and being hard to beat. 

I really really hope Brechin can win the play offs, very sad to see what is happening, best of luck that you get out of it. We were in a horrible situation a few years back where if we'd lost a few more games we could've been looking at playing in play offs. 

I tend to disagree to an extent about Mark Wilson .  He has the team playing  a better , more attacking style  and it is not mind numbing to watch like under the previous two managers. The problem as you rightly point out is conceeding stupid goals  at vital times in the game.    You are also right about pulling in favours . I am really disappointed that we never got some real experience in to bolster that leaky defence.    Of the players he did bring in ,  only Martin Scott stands out as a real improvement  to what we've got. 

I don't know how much input  Steve Campbell has though  ,  this has rankled me for a while now.    He seems a genuinely nice guy  and is always willing to have a chat  about all things football , but he has been assistant to the previous two managers ..................who's teams  had the same defensive frailties.  Too much of a coincidence ?   Maybe not , but I do wonder who actually works on the defensive side of the team as the same mistakes are made week after week. .................... Steve seems to have escaped the criticism for some strange reason. 

Aye it's really sad to see the club in such turmoil .  It seems  when you hit the bottom every little mistake is punished and luck deserts you.  We can but hope. 

On 09/02/2020 at 14:01, theoriginalhedge said:

Using Dundee based players  is not a unique concept to us.   Our most successful spell  in the 70's , 80's and 90's was when we had a local scouting network  , looking for players from around Dundee, Perth  and Fife ............ but that was scrapped when managers  convinced our committee that the central belt was THE  place to get players of a certain level. 

Some of our best players came from that scouting system ........Davie Watt , the best part time full back of his  time and  Marc Millar , one of our best attacking midfielders / strikers both came from Dundee amatuer club Riverside Athletic.   Dougie Scott, Chris Templeman, Paul Ritchie, Nipper Thompson , all touted by local scouts .........although to be fair , Paul's dad John was manager/coach at the time.   Just a few names that came to mind. 

My point is that the club didn't go about the last clear out with any great success  so I am less than confident that a complete restructure will go  smoothly .  The diehards apart , our fans are very fickle and won't tolerate another few years in the doldrums. 

Memory jogged for me with this above post , I remember those times fondly , The team used to train at the Glebe Tues and Thurs ?  As kids we would go up and watch or take in a reserve game on the park while the first team trained behind the hedge, I recall the late Charlie Adam snr  stood for around 20 mins after coming off the training ground to speak to us about the game that was going on in front of us , Happier times . The team training in Brechin always made us as youngsters feel a closeness to the club which sadly i think is missing nowadays , Where has it gone bad ,,,,,,for me looking back Dodds should have went after the Championship season ,,,,,,,Smith should have gone after failing to  stave off relagation ,,,,,and now here we are staring into the abyss , Whatever happens whatever league we are in i'll be there supporting them , Thank you for posting the above post and stirring up some great memories ..........

On 09/02/2020 at 09:38, theoriginalhedge said:

Our club policy for the last 10/20 years has been to recruit players from the central belt and  to train in the central belt. 

I doubt very much if those players would commit themselves to travelling the Highlands every other week.  

And yet somehow Elgin manage it

17 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Such as who? Who was available that would have contemplated the role that ticks all the boxes you’ve mentioned. “Safe pair of hands” is a Sportsound type cliche that doesn’t really exist. 

4 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

Elgin manage it  possibly due to their present league status and possibly the stability of the club. 

We have found  it increasingly difficult to attract   players in our current position , as the last  transfer window highlighted.   It is only natural to assume that problem will only escalate in the Highland League. 

41 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

Of the starting 11 on Saturday only two live further south than Tayside with a further 2 on bench. Remember half the games are away from Elgin so an easier commute than every game being in the HL. We have always found it difficult to attract players due to geography and the financial bubble the HL has been in, though there are signs that this has been lessening. I think we would pay decent wages in comparison to most in our division. Valid points on stability as a club which helps and also that we’re seen as a welcoming and friendly club that won’t stand in the way of a players progression. 

44 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Such as who? Who was available that would have contemplated the role that ticks all the boxes you’ve mentioned. “Safe pair of hands” is a Sportsound type cliche that doesn’t really exist. 

I haven't really put that much thought into it in all honesty so you may be right and its easy to say in hindsight I suppose. I just recall when i saw the appointment i thought, oh no, i don't think he is the type of guy to get Brechin out the hole they were in and it looks like my concerns have been correct.

We went for Dick when we got into serious problems, Montrose went for Hegarty as has been mentioned and even Cowden with Gary Bolan seemed the right appointment for what was needed. 

As you say, the right candidate might've not been available. Lets just hope Wilson can get some sort of momentum going before the play offs.

16 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Of the starting 11 on Saturday only two live further south than Tayside with a further 2 on bench. Remember half the games are away from Elgin so an easier commute than every game being in the HL. We have always found it difficult to attract players due to geography and the financial bubble the HL has been in, though there are signs that this has been lessening. I think we would pay decent wages in comparison to most in our division. Valid points on stability as a club which helps and also that we’re seen as a welcoming and friendly club that won’t stand in the way of a players progression. 

Half of Brechins games will be in Brechin - the way the fermers are going on you'd think that players were being asked to fly to Perth, fake one in Australia, for every game.

12 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

Half of Brechins games will be in Brechin - the way the fermers are going on you'd think that players were being asked to fly to Perth, fake one in Australia, for every game.

Reality is there for all to see. With the "new money" coming into the game , especially in the lowland league, the attraction for central belt players to sign for Brechin  for sensible wages , to play in the Highland league is becoming remotely distinct.  .........................It is bad enough at present . 

When I was 25 if someone had offered me a few quid to play football and said there will be a few hours travelling for away games I would have bitten their hand off. It sounds great to me.

If you give them the chance of possibly winning the league under a decent manager I think plenty of players would want to come. 

There is a depressingly defeatist attitude here and we haven't even been relegated yet. 

7 minutes ago, charlie king mvp said:

When I was 25 if someone had offered me a few quid to play football and said there will be a few hours travelling for away games I would have bitten their hand off. It sounds great to me.

Isn't the situation more that, if you were any good at football, then multiple clubs might make you offers. And once you have the choice, the one that offered you a few more quid and/or a few less hours travelling for away games and/or a better chance of winning a league would be the club you were more likely to sign for?

20 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Isn't the situation more that, if you were any good at football, then multiple clubs might make you offers. And once you have the choice, the one that offered you a few more quid and/or a few less hours travelling for away games and/or a better chance of winning a league would be the club you were more likely to sign for?

It's not impossible though that's the point I'm trying to make.  Good players will always have choices. 

Just now, charlie king mvp said:

It's not impossible though that's the point I'm trying to make.  Good players will always have choices. 

And that is our problem at present ..........Spence choosing Stenny over us in January is just one example . 

Sorry , not being defeatist , just facing facts.