The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

If it is the dreaded play off. Not certain but likely I do concede. It’s not all doom and gloom. The playoff can be won. Twice we managed to get some momentum and the all important confidence to get through it with winning a few games at the end of the season. I also concede both times it was very close. Berwick last season showed what happens when you go into these games with no momentum or confidence. We did change managers at crucial times which undoubtedly had the desired effect. However how you manage to change your fortunes are up to the powers that be. Best of luck.

What will the future hold for Brechin if they do drop to the Highland League?

I hope the can find an upturn in form that gives them the chance to survive the playoffs.

I fear it could be a long time down if the worst happens though, which would be really sad as I have a soft spot for Brechin.

10 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

What will the future hold for Brechin if they do drop to the Highland League?

I hope the can find an upturn in form that gives them the chance to survive the playoffs.

I fear it could be a long time down if the worst happens though, which would be really sad as I have a soft spot for Brechin.

In my opinion we will never go into the HL  lose the play off and the club are finished

If we lose in the play off( and it's pretty much looking that we will be in the play off) Brechin City would cease to exist.114 years of history would be just that..... history.

That pretty much sums up where we are 

In my opinion we will never go into the HL  lose the play off and the club are finished

I’m sure Shire and Berwick fans posted similar before they were relegated and both clubs have survived after cutting their cloth accordingly. I’m no expert on Brechin but surely you would be the same?

Overly dramatic stuff from the Brechin fans (who’d have thought football fans would be dramatic!). You’d have a great chance to win the Highland league at the first go of asking - something Berwick and The Shire had next to no chance of in the LL. If you do down there’s no point crying about potentially losing the club - focus your energy on a big season in the HL. The standard up there has definitely deteriorated but it’s still very competitive and a hell of a lot of games.

9 minutes ago, charlie king mvp said:

Why would the club cease to exist?

There are some really small clubs in the Highland League who seem to be able to exist just fine. 

Indeed, but they're not challenging for the title and looking to get promoted. (Rothes aside, who I understand have had money pumped into them.) Would City fans be happy about bumbling around in the middle of the HL for the rest of time? Better than no team, of course.

32 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I’m sure Shire and Berwick fans posted similar before they were relegated and both clubs have survived after cutting their cloth accordingly. I’m no expert on Brechin but surely you would be the same?

Our club policy for the last 10/20 years has been to recruit players from the central belt and  to train in the central belt. 

I doubt very much if those players would commit themselves to travelling the Highlands every other week.  The alternative is to change our signing policy and concentrate on players from Dundee and above.  That would mean another clear out .........and everyone can see the result of our last attempt at that.  

Sadly the odds are stacked against the club making any quick return which not only requires winning the league but also winning a 4 game play off as well.  This  in turn would have a drastic effect on our already dwindling fan base.  Business investment will invariably be harder to find and so the spiral continues. 

Either this current bunch grow a set of balls and commit themselves to the task of staying up or we are fucked as a club. 

We wouldn’t cease to exist if we were in the highland league, but without major investment we would struggle to challenge at the right end of the table.

We’d have to move our training further north than Stirling and as a result we would no longer be able to attract players from the central belt. We’d then be competing for players around Dundee/Aberdeen area with other highland league teams who have more money.

It was painful viewing yesterday. It was a must win game yet we found ourselves 4-1 down after an hour. Absolutely pathetic. I’ve said in previous weeks that there are far too many players that are carrying too much weight and are nowhere near fit enough..why is this not being addressed by the Manager!

I look at the bench yesterday and we should have started the vast majority of them! Again I said before that McMinn should have been dropped and he cost us the first goal yesterday by fumbling a routine ball. Why the f**k have we signed Laverty and McCabe to sit on the bench?! Why the f**k is McCord, our most talented player not starting in our biggest game of the season? Don’t give me pish about selection for the conditions...

Over and out

1 hour ago, gm_1982 said:

We wouldn’t cease to exist if we were in the highland league, but without major investment we would struggle to challenge at the right end of the table.

We’d have to move our training further north than Stirling and as a result we would no longer be able to attract players from the central belt. We’d then be competing for players around Dundee/Aberdeen area with other highland league teams who have more money.

It was painful viewing yesterday. It was a must win game yet we found ourselves 4-1 down after an hour. Absolutely pathetic. I’ve said in previous weeks that there are far too many players that are carrying too much weight and are nowhere near fit enough..why is this not being addressed by the Manager!

I look at the bench yesterday and we should have started the vast majority of them! Again I said before that McMinn should have been dropped and he cost us the first goal yesterday by fumbling a routine ball. Why the f**k have we signed Laverty and McCabe to sit on the bench?! Why the f**k is McCord, our most talented player not starting in our biggest game of the season? Don’t give me pish about selection for the conditions...

Over and out

I took in the Elgin game last week and the weight thing was the first thing that struck me. At least three players looked overweight which is something you do not see at Highland League level. Perhaps the odd one but not three in the same team. To be fair they looked decent players when they had the ball at their feet but it is not a five a side league.

3 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

This  in turn would have a drastic effect on our already dwindling fan base.

Does it make a big difference to people whether they're watching Annan or Huntly at Glebe Park, especially when there's more chance of seeing a home win if playing the latter? 

That said, Brechin and Huntly are equidistant to Aberdeen so to gain any advantage over them we'd to maintain the present crowds to pay that bit more, or use Dundee as a resource that would be unique to us.  The issue with the latter is that a player living in Dundee would be looking at trip comparable to Annan / Stranraer every fortnight.  You'd need to be keen, but it's a shorter trip for the home games than Aberdeen based players have for their respective clubs, so it could even out.

Also just noticed that we would be the HL outfit that is further away from any other (i.e. Wick is closer to Brora than Brechin is to Inverurie, which would become our 'local' derby.  

giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

That said, Brechin and Huntly are equidistant to Aberdeen so to gain any advantage over them we'd to maintain the present crowds to pay that bit more, or use Dundee as a resource that would be unique to us.  The issue with the latter is that a player living in Dundee would be looking at trip comparable to Annan / Stranraer every fortnight.  

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

Using Dundee based players  is not a unique concept to us.   Our most successful spell  in the 70's , 80's and 90's was when we had a local scouting network  , looking for players from around Dundee, Perth  and Fife ............ but that was scrapped when managers  convinced our committee that the central belt was THE  place to get players of a certain level. 

Some of our best players came from that scouting system ........Davie Watt , the best part time full back of his  time and  Marc Millar , one of our best attacking midfielders / strikers both came from Dundee amatuer club Riverside Athletic.   Dougie Scott, Chris Templeman, Paul Ritchie, Nipper Thompson , all touted by local scouts .........although to be fair , Paul's dad John was manager/coach at the time.   Just a few names that came to mind. 

My point is that the club didn't go about the last clear out with any great success  so I am less than confident that a complete restructure will go  smoothly .  The diehards apart , our fans are very fickle and won't tolerate another few years in the doldrums. 

16 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Using Dundee based players  is not a unique concept to us.   Our most successful spell  in the 70's , 80's and 90's was when we had a local scouting network  , looking for players from around Dundee, Perth  and Fife ............ but that was scrapped when managers  convinced our committee that the central belt was THE  place to get players of a certain level. 

Some of our best players came from that scouting system ........Davie Watt , the best part time full back of his  time and  Marc Millar , one of our best attacking midfielders / strikers both came from Dundee amatuer club Riverside Athletic.   Dougie Scott, Chris Templeman, Paul Ritchie, Nipper Thompson , all touted by local scouts .........although to be fair , Paul's dad John was manager/coach at the time.   Just a few names that came to mind. 

My point is that the club didn't go about the last clear out with any great success  so I am less than confident that a complete restructure will go  smoothly .  The diehards apart , our fans are very fickle and won't tolerate another few years in the doldrums. 

Nipper Thomson was an Aberdeen lad who was released by Shrewsbury

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Chris Templeman

He'd only just left Stirling when he joined us, having initially been on loan from the Pars before the Binos signed him. 

Anyway, it would be what you describe, minus Fife and Perth as there's no chance you'll get anyone willing to play for a HL team from there.  More than likely that Millar et al. would have snubbed us had we been a HL club at the time.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

He'd only just left Stirling when he joined us, having initially been on loan from the Pars before the Binos signed him. 

Anyway, it would be what you describe, minus Fife and Perth as there's no chance you'll get anyone willing to play for a HL team from there.  More than likely that Millar et al. would have snubbed us had we been a HL club at the time.

Aye and that is the problem we will have if we do fall in the play offs. 

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

McManus played for Cove in the Highland League whilst living in Fife. I think he got the train from Markinch to Aberdeen for the matches.