The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

26 minutes ago, big al said:

Your comparison to Berwick is understandable, but you have basically mirrored Cowdens fall down the leagues. 

Managers who haven’t been able to organise enough to stop the slide were regular until we found Bollan who has done a job for us in that respect but we were lucky to avoid the trapdoor.

Its easy to blame the board,  it in all honesty they don’t have all the answers and that must be most boards in the part time leagues, they just try their best.

Berwick left it too late to change then brought in Brownlie which seemed a wild effort at the time, you have plenty time. We brought in Gary Locke abit earlier than Berwick and he gave us enough of a lift (just) to survive the play off mainly because he was motivational and gave the team some belief.

Its tough to stop the rot and takes a certain type at the helm.

Some good points there.  Unfortunately the managers you talk about seem to be few and far between. Either that or our committee have inherited an uncanny knack of choosing the wrong ones  , possibly  because of the desperation at the time of appointing  or simply  financial restraints  (or both ) .   Either way  we have to learn from our mistakes and also from other clubs like yours, Berwick and  indeed Montrose and find a realistic and workable management plan . 

That said I don't think the players we have brought in are in any way the worst we could have acquired.  The systems they have been asked to play are probably to blame. Zonal marking is  very difficult at the best of times with an experienced squad never mind a bunch of new lads just put together .  Playing one up front  doesn't help either.   Keeping  things simple and to what players understand is surely not rocket science.   Yesterday we had players shouting at each other, blaming everyone else for not being in the correct position , not really knowing which zone they were meant to be in charge of.....................not helped by players being shuffled around  to different roles ....................and  Shagger not knowing who his strike partner is going to be from one week to the next ..................and a management team not really prepared to constructively help them sort out the confusion . ...........or so it appears to the supporters.  

A simple , no frills 4-4-2  formation with the experienced guys taking charge of who they are marking  and sticking with a strike partnership for more than one match at a time is surely the way forward in my opinion.  Maybe that is too simplistic , who knows.  One thing is for sure , we can't go on in the shambolic way we did yesterday. 

At the start of last season a mate of mine predicted that Smith would leave Raith, we would eventually sack Dods and Smith would then end up at Brechin.  And so it proved.

The problem I had at the time with this appointment and still do is that there seemed to be no real thought which went into it. Barry Smith was available, he had a connection to the club and that seemed to be enough to get him the job.  It felt like nobody else was considered for the job.  Members of the committee are involved in businesses, would they appoint somebody to a key role in their business without going through a proper recruitment process?  The manager is the most important job at the football club and we’ve appointed somebody in a half arsed “ Barry’s a good guy so he’ll do ok” way.  

We can’t afford to make the same mistake again.

14 hours ago, stovies said:

Yes, indeed.  Apologies for the illiteracy of my predictive text whilst the blood boils.  There are alternatives which are actively being pursued. Wholesale changes are required.  And for those that say the Board give their time for free etc, yes correct.  However, their Boardroom perks are a plenty (just check Martin Smith doing the weekly booze run down the co-op).  A change of manager may help (although given recent history with our Board not having the balls to take action I doubt this will happen anytime soon) however there is clearly an issue at the top of the club.

Martin Smith goes to buy booze FOR THE SUPPORTERS in the city club and platinum lounge. If you bothered to come into the city club and actually chat to the people in there instead of chatting shit online you would know that. These are difficult times for the club, and all Martin is doing is trying his hardest to keep morale as high as possible. With a part time club, morale is absolutely essential. I bet if you saw a FRACTION of the work that man puts in to keeping the club afloat, you’d wet yourself. People talk  about trying to overthrow the committee, but absolutely none of them could do a better job. You seem to think the committee are just twiddling their thumbs right now and not paying attention to what’s going on, but they’re exploring every available option, they’re working tirelessly to protect our club - and what do they get from it?? People anonymously threatening to shaft them. If you walked a mile in their shoes you’d have a hell of a lot of blisters buddy. 

Edited by hedgeyourbets

2 hours ago, hedgeyourbets said:

Martin Smith goes to buy booze FOR THE SUPPORTERS in the city club and platinum lounge. If you bothered to come into the city club and actually chat to the people in there instead of chatting shit online you would know that. These are difficult times for the club, and all Martin is doing is trying his hardest to keep morale as high as possible. With a part time club, morale is absolutely essential. I bet if you saw a FRACTION of the work that man puts in to keeping the club afloat, you’d wet yourself. People talk  about trying to overthrow the committee, but absolutely none of them could do a better job. You seem to think the committee are just twiddling their thumbs right now and not paying attention to what’s going on, but they’re exploring every available option, they’re working tirelessly to protect our club - and what do they get from it?? People anonymously threatening to shaft them. If you walked a mile in their shoes you’d have a hell of a lot of blisters buddy. 

I agree with much of what you say ( especially the booze gate episode😂 ) but the fans especially the season ticket holders have every right to have their say and unfortunately the joys of being on any committee is everyone else knows how to do things better. Don't think anyone should doubt  how much effort & time is put in but sometimes time & effort just don't cut, but I do take my hat off to anyone who goes on the committee as it does take up a lot of your personal spare time and with some who have the option to do work for the club within their working day. I have been there and done that.

As for Anonymous statements for the record what is you name 😆 

Well said over throwing the committee is not the answer they dont bring in the players pick the team or the tactics that is the blame of the manager. Remember these guys do every thing in their own spare time as well as having jobs if it wasnt for them we wouldn't have a club . They will be hurt as much as us. Getting rid of comittiee isn't going to change things on the park

If we dropped to the Highland League then I very seriously doubt we'd be able to attract any Central Belt players as has been the norm over the years. Who the hell down there is going to join a club that plays in Inverurie for their closest away game when there are LL options on their doorstep, or who in the current squad would stay on for that?

We'd  be f***ed recruitment wise and would be fighting it out with all the other HL sides for the limited pool of NE-based players that would struggle to compete with any League 2 outfit. Couldn't see us bouncing back quickly, if at all, tbh.

I thought exactly the same about Mo when I watched their game against Brora. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

If we dropped to the Highland League then I very seriously doubt we'd be able to attract any Central Belt players as has been the norm over the years. Who the hell down there is going to join a club that plays in Inverurie for their closest away game when there are LL options on their doorstep, or who in the current squad would stay on for that?
We'd  be f***ed recruitment wise and would be fighting it out with all the other HL sides for the limited pool of NE-based players that would struggle to compete with any League 2 outfit. Couldn't see us bouncing back quickly, if at all, tbh.

Suspect you’d be in a similar situation as Berwick are in just now.

I honestly think any League 2 side, and I include my own in this, would struggle to return from relegation first time trying.

That’s the problem we have found at Berwick this season. It’s no longer an easier sell to get players to commit to coming down from Edinburgh when there are 6 or 7 sides already in that area playing in the Lowland League whereas the pull of the SPFL gave us a better selling pitch for getting players to sign.

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png imagine saying that somebody having to go to the shop to buy a f**k load of booze for everyone else was a 'perk'

What a hassle that would be

Ffs

Feckin comedy gold . All that Co Op booze is for the Directors as a perk .  Feckin had to be for  City Club and Hospitality .  Jesus wept . Emotions running high i know but some people need to read and THINK before they hit submit reply  ...........🤐

34 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Three league games gone. Surely there’s no panic yet. A wee bit of perspective here. Most teams in this league are trap door candidates still.

From what i've seen if it wasn't panic stations before it  should be now .

Suspect you’d be in a similar situation as Berwick are in just now.

I honestly think any League 2 side, and I include my own in this, would struggle to return from relegation first time trying.

Yip. I think every L2 club are crapping it at the thought of dropping down into the LL.

Forget this nonsense about replacing committee guys; at this level, they are hands on. If you think you can help, volunteer. Online critics are ten a penny and worth as much.

It's the manager who makes all the difference. He's the guy who signs the players and decides the tactics. If your committee get THAT decision wrong, you could be fecked. We seem to have chosen well in Mark Roberts with the results speaking for themselves.

Brechin is a great wee club and there seems to be a bit of vibrancy about the place, but the team had the look of a side already accepting their fate yesterday.

13 hours ago, onecowden said:

Three league games gone. Surely there’s no panic yet. A wee bit of perspective here. Most teams in this league are trap door candidates still.

I think it's the previous two seasons and now the first three league games of this season that's causing concern.

55 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think it's the previous two seasons and now the first three league games of this season that's causing concern.

We know, we’ve been there. It’s too easy to get caught in a rut. Dropping a league and losing all your players is always going to make the start of the next season very difficult.