The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, stovies said:

just got in after this disgrace.  it is no exaggeration to say that we are in a crisis.  emotions are high but i wonder if there is any appetitte from supporters to call an EGM (I'm happy to propose) and over-through the Board - start from scratch.  drastic measures but these are clearly drastic times.

I had to read this a few times as it didn't make sense, I assume the word you intended to use was overthrow. That being the case I can understand your intent, but in line with fellow posters from your club would suggest caution in the absence of a realistic practical alternative.

PS. Not a dig as a fan of a  club who have endured similar misfortunes over a number of seasons I can readily empathise with the City fans

Don't think a change of committee would make any difference. Clearly there is no appetite for folk to go on; one vacancy this year and only one person came forward.

I do think appointing Barry was too easy and not, as it turns out the right appointment.

Committees do a thankless task and it just show that a couple of poor managers in a row can really shaft a part time club. We cannot afford to get rid of Barry. He also cannot spot a player - Kavanagh? And others. He also turned down the guy who scored a hat trick against us on Tuesday.

In forty years this is as bad as I recall. 

No money, his players, no game plan and players arguing amongst themselves.

Highland league here we come if this continues.

49 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

, I assume the word you intended to use was overthrow.

Yes, indeed.  Apologies for the illiteracy of my predictive text whilst the blood boils.  There are alternatives which are actively being pursued. Wholesale changes are required.  And for those that say the Board give their time for free etc, yes correct.  However, their Boardroom perks are a plenty (just check Martin Smith doing the weekly booze run down the co-op).  A change of manager may help (although given recent history with our Board not having the balls to take action I doubt this will happen anytime soon) however there is clearly an issue at the top of the club.

2 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

Don't think a change of committee would make any difference. Clearly there is no appetite for folk to go on; one vacancy this year and only one person came forward.

The reason being is they can make no difference with the bearers already in position.

20 minutes ago, stovies said:

Yes, indeed.  Apologies for the illiteracy of my predictive text whilst the blood boils.  There are alternatives which are actively being pursued. Wholesale changes are required.  And for those that say the Board give their time for free etc, yes correct.  However, their Boardroom perks are a plenty (just check Martin Smith doing the weekly booze run down the co-op).  A change of manager may help (although given recent history with our Board not having the balls to take action I doubt this will happen anytime soon) however there is clearly an issue at the top of the club.

Not a problem @stovies we have all had similar failings posting on the hoof

I'm not aware of Brechin Exec involvement & commitments etc you will be far closer. What I can say to stabilise & run our own club means the directors have to be very hands on, hence on match day there mat be minimal representation in the board room. Good luck with your plans and I genuinely wish you and your fellow fans the very best. 

4 hours ago, hedgeman83 said:

Some shouts for the manager to be sacked and I'm starting to agree with them . But in reality theres no way we have the money to pay him off so we either hope he leaves or were stuck. Not too sure what his game plan was today but were 2 0 down and dosnt bring on a striker till 15mis to go. Shagger cant do it all himself he needs some support and the keeper in my opinion isn't any better than what we have in fact I would say McMinn is better

McManus was ‘ shagged’ end of season before last when we played Cove in play off final. Surprised he is in league 2 now, can’t be a good signing.

best ask a Berwick fan that one....

I look at Brechin this season and a see a parallel of how our season panned out last season. Granted we had a couple of seasons of flying with the crows at the bottom end of league 2 and taking the risk of being shot whereas Brechin haven’t been down this division since 2001/02 and were up the second level just two seasons ago.
But the bottom line now is once your in the bottom tier your one bad season from a 180-minute lottery for your league survival.
Some big decisions to be made up at Glebe Park if results keep going like they are.

I’ve been a Brechin supporter for 60 years (through thick and thin) but I’ve not been to the Glebe for two seasons, which means I’ve not witnessed the pish times you guys have. However poorly CDH puts across his opinions maybe it’s time to agree that he may have a point. I think we gave Dods far too long and the players Smith has brought in are no better than the ones that left in the close season mass exodus. There is no easy solution. I have one question......Is there relegation from the Highland League??

I believe Smith talked a very good game at the AGM. I hope he can get the team to match his words but i’m not holding my breath.

9 hours ago, big al said:

McManus was ‘ shagged’ end of season before last when we played Cove in play off final. Surprised he is in league 2 now, can’t be a good signing.

In all fairness Shagger has put in performances and effort this season that would shame guys ten years his junior .

8 hours ago, NE63 exile said:

I look at Brechin this season and a see a parallel of how our season panned out last season. Granted we had a couple of seasons of flying with the crows at the bottom end of league 2 and taking the risk of being shot whereas Brechin haven’t been down this division since 2001/02 and were up the second level just two seasons ago.
But the bottom line now is once your in the bottom tier your one bad season from a 180-minute lottery for your league survival.
Some big decisions to be made up at Glebe Park if results keep going like they are.

We were talking yesterday  about the comparisons to Berwick .........(gambling on a virtually complete team of  untried youngsters) ..........and where Berwick are now.  It is frighteningly similar albeit the absence of the couple of seasons flying with the crows which is not an unrealistic scenario going by what we have witnessed so far. 

8 hours ago, accris said:

I’ve been a Brechin supporter for 60 years (through thick and thin) but I’ve not been to the Glebe for two seasons, which means I’ve not witnessed the pish times you guys have. However poorly CDH puts across his opinions maybe it’s time to agree that he may have a point. I think we gave Dods far too long and the players Smith has brought in are no better than the ones that left in the close season mass exodus. There is no easy solution. I have one question......Is there relegation from the Highland League??

I believe Smith talked a very good game at the AGM. I hope he can get the team to match his words but i’m not holding my breath.

Barry did what every other manager has done at almost every other AGM .  He told us what we wanted to hear.  He wasn't really challenged on any of his decisions and last season was conveniently swept under the carpet by the obvious focus on the season ahead. 

In hindsight he should have been grilled about the acceptable  targets set by the committee for each quarter of the season and the consequences should these targets not be reached.  Sometimes we are just too nice a club to impose such hard and fast targets. 

So i took in that game yesterday . Came home had tea had a look on here .  Refrained from posting anything Saturday night . Had more than my weekly intake  of vodka . Now Sunday morning and my head is fuzzy  so perfect time to post. I had the fear close season , this fear is growing stronger with every game we play . Speaking to QP fan who said they had a lot of new faces close season too . Difference is they looked like a team , their passes found team mates . No one arguing with fans , own players . Calls for change ?  Yeah sure but as others have said if theres is no Plan B whats the point ?  If there is a Plan B then by all means do it .  I really dont know where we go from here , i really dont . Highland League  for us for sure as i wouldnt back this current side to make it in a play off .  Derbies with Keith next season if things dont improve .

12 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

We were talking yesterday  about the comparisons to Berwick .........(gambling on a virtually complete team of  untried youngsters) ..........and where Berwick are now.  It is frighteningly similar albeit the absence of the couple of seasons flying with the crows which is not an unrealistic scenario going by what we have witnessed so far. 

Barry did what every other manager has done at almost every other AGM .  He told us what we wanted to hear.  He wasn't really challenged on any of his decisions and last season was conveniently swept under the carpet by the obvious focus on the season ahead. 

In hindsight he should have been grilled about the acceptable  targets set by the committee for each quarter of the season and the consequences should these targets not be reached.  Sometimes we are just too nice a club to impose such hard and fast targets. 

Your comparison to Berwick is understandable, but you have basically mirrored Cowdens fall down the leagues. 

Managers who haven’t been able to organise enough to stop the slide were regular until we found Bollan who has done a job for us in that respect but we were lucky to avoid the trapdoor.

Its easy to blame the board,  it in all honesty they don’t have all the answers and that must be most boards in the part time leagues, they just try their best.

Berwick left it too late to change then brought in Brownlie which seemed a wild effort at the time, you have plenty time. We brought in Gary Locke abit earlier than Berwick and he gave us enough of a lift (just) to survive the play off mainly because he was motivational and gave the team some belief.

Its tough to stop the rot and takes a certain type at the helm.

19 minutes ago, underpar said:

So i took in that game yesterday . Came home had tea had a look on here .  Refrained from posting anything Saturday night . Had more than my weekly intake  of vodka . Now Sunday morning and my head is fuzzy  so perfect time to post. I had the fear close season , this fear is growing stronger with every game we play . Speaking to QP fan who said they had a lot of new faces close season too . Difference is they looked like a team , their passes found team mates . No one arguing with fans , own players . Calls for change ?  Yeah sure but as others have said if theres is no Plan B whats the point ?  If there is a Plan B then by all means do it .  I really dont know where we go from here , i really dont . Highland League  for us for sure as i wouldnt back this current side to make it in a play off .  Derbies with Keith next season if things dont improve .

They may have a manager who has  tactical know how that extends further than shouting "up get up" every 5 minutes.

Edited by Best Team in Angus