Players as fans

I doubt that many (although there will be some) players are really "supporters/fans" as we would define ourselves. I've always had the impression that once they move into being 1st team players for any team, they just don't see it in that way any more as it's their work. For the ones that do define themselves that way, it's either in a badge-kissing, try to buy some time with the home support type of thing or it's a reference to "who they followed as a boy".  

When I think of the players that have really "got" my club over the years and really have given the genuine impression of trying harder or "caring" more, practically none of them would have been boyhood 'Well supporters but may as well have been.

I doubt that many (although there will be some) players are really "supporters/fans" as we would define ourselves. I've always had the impression that once they move into being 1st team players for any team, they just don't see it in that way any more as it's their work. For the ones that do define themselves that way, it's either in a badge-kissing, try to buy some time with the home support type of thing or it's a reference to "who they followed as a boy".  
When I think of the players that have really "got" my club over the years and really have given the genuine impression of trying harder or "caring" more, practically none of them would have been boyhood 'Well supporters but may as well have been.

Aye Shay Logan’s probably the biggest Dandy in that dressing room these days, and he’s obviously a massive City fan.

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

Ex Saints hero Mark Yardley supports Hearts but loves the Saints. That cant be said many Hearts supporters. 

It's been barely 33 years.  Maybe by the second half of this century we will just about have forgiven you.

5 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Two more Dandies - Lee Mair and Stuart Duff. Both had “dream moves” to their boyhood clubs under Calderwood and both were pretty guff.

Duff had his moments (couple of goals v Celtic spring to mind) and Mair had a good career away from the Dons (LC win with St Mirren) but neither will go down in the annals as particular favourites.

Mark Perry was another Dons fan we signed who was shite. Was wondering about Jim Hamilton. He was born in Aberdeen and I'm sure he said in an interview his dad was a big Dons fan at least so the fact he didn't do well for us was that extra bit disappointing for him.

11 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Thought of another een. Cammy Smith fuckin loves the Dons. He was in the Church on the Hill before the 16/17 Scottish Cup final while I believe playing for Dundee Utd on loan? Sang the Durrant song while standing on a table. “Nice one Cammy, nice one son..!”

Pretty sure he was in the away end at Ibrox during one of the midweek games too. May have been last season

Mark Perry was another Dons fan we signed who was shite. Was wondering about Jim Hamilton. He was born in Aberdeen and I'm sure he said in an interview his dad was a big Dons fan at least so the fact he didn't do well for us was that extra bit disappointing for him.

Aye, but, Martin Buchan!

More recently and more relevant, I do believe weeRyan Fraser is a dandie

5 pages and no mention of Michael O'Halloran being in the Celtic end at a Cup final whilst still being employed at Rangers.

Which team would be the best if they only had players who were geniune fans of the team growing up? Celtic/Rangers obvious shouts with Celtic being ahead because of having Robertson.

15 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Used to work with his Dad (also played for County), a lovely guy but I can’t mind if he was a fan too @MONKMAN  would be able to answer this Im sure.

Lovely guy indeed, absolute gent.  Strange one in that he was actually brought up a Celtic fan who had an allegiance for County having played for them himself and I believed managed at one point, as well as living in Strathpeffer for many years. Saying that, he claimed to support every club Don had ever played for, so the old “more clubs than Tiger Woods” joke became relevant. Always said he never thought there would be much of an issue between following County and Celtic, having spent 40 odd years watching county in the highland league, shows how far they’ve come.

Don is a county fan as far as I’m aware. 

Seeing as footballers on the whole are thick, I'd say the vast majority of them in this country support Rangers or Celtic.  Regardless of where they're from. 

7 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Lovely guy indeed, absolute gent.  Strange one in that he was actually brought up a Celtic fan who had an allegiance for County having played for them himself and I believed managed at one point, as well as living in Strathpeffer for many years. Saying that, he claimed to support every club Don had ever played for, so the old “more clubs than Tiger Woods” joke became relevant. Always said he never thought there would be much of an issue between following County and Celtic, having spent 40 odd years watching county in the highland league, shows how far they’ve come.

Don is a county fan as far as I’m aware. 

I did think he had a soft spot for Celtic but couldn’t remember exactly. Can remember him doing the London marathon in his mid 60s then fucking back offshore for 3 weeks ffs. Some guy.

2 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

Pretty sure he was in the away end at Ibrox during one of the midweek games too. May have been last season

Nicky Low was in the away end at the 3-0 humping we took off them last season. Pretty sure he's a Celtic fan though. Clark Robertson was a ***, he was at the same school as me.