Players as fans

Recently, there seems to have been a trend of a few Motherwell youth players breaking through who, at least claim to be, genuine Motherwell fans. I'm never really sure how true this is, or if it's just diddy team footballers finally being savvy enough not to piss off Yer Da by immediately declaring "I pure love the Celtic, me" as soon as they've made their Motherwell debut, or whatever.

Either way, I find it quite interesting. Stephen Thompson has always struck me as an actual proper St Mirren fan - i.e not Chick Young- and Lee Miller wore a Motherwell wristband a few times at different clubs.

Any other footballers who are genuine fans of a team? Particularly non-OF ones because that's a bit less noteworthy.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Recently, there seems to have been a trend of a few Motherwell youth players breaking through who, at least claim to be, genuine Motherwell fans. I'm never really sure how true this is, or if it's just diddy team footballers finally being savvy enough not to piss off Yer Da by immediately declaring "I pure love the Celtic, me" as soon as they've made their Motherwell debut, or whatever.

Either way, I find it quite interesting. Stephen Thompson has always struck me as an actual proper St Mirren fan - i.e not Chick Young- and Lee Miller wore a Motherwell wristband a few times at different clubs.

Any other footballers who are genuine fans of a team? Particularly non-OF ones because that's a bit less noteworthy.

Cammy Kerr is Derry'd oot his fucking nut. 

Despite all being from the north east, it’s noticeable that out of Dean Campbell, Bruce Anderson, Scott Wright and Connor McLennan, only the former two make a big deal out of how much playing for the club means to them. I can only assume that means the latter two are filthy ****.

Liam Gordon is a diehard Saints fan, sure hes in a picture at McDiarmid celebrating Mays goal against Rosenborg. His dad posts on here too @tree house tam

Wotherspoon is aswell. Born and raised in Perth, and a boyhood fan.

Im sure Liam Craig claimed he'd become one :lol:

Edited by RandomGuy.

Steven Lawless is a Rangers fan, goes to quite a few of the games in Europe at night. Was caught on camera a few times :D 

Apparently Liam Kelly is a Celtic fan despite coming through at Rangers. Lithgow is a Celtic fan having came through there. 

De Vita is a Lazio fan despite coming through at Roma as well :D 

I think the only hope we have is Keaghan Jacobs having come through at us with his brothers in his testimonial year just passed there. 

59 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Rab Douglas is a Motherwell fan.

Lanarkian Douglas (35) hopes to clinch a transfer to 'Well and end his miserable spell out in the cold at English Championship outfit Leicester City.

The big keeper, who hasn't played a competitive match with the Foxes for the past 18 months, told Gazette Sport that he'd relish a move to Fir Park.

''I'm a boyhood Motherwell fan,'' Douglas said on Monday.

''I used to watch them home and away.

''I can actually see the Fir Park floodlights from my house in Bothwell!

''So signing for 'Well would be ideal for me."

Link

Rickie Lamie came to our games as young kid, think he went to the European games as well. Apparently was a fan growing up.

Callum Paterson was part of the DBM section for a good few years before doing well at Hearts

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think Rory McKenzie is a Killie fan. Not sure if any of the rest of our youth players are.

I don't know if I've ever heard it confirmed that Rory McKenzie is a Killie fan but I'd certainly assume he is. He seems too nice a guy to support one of the sisters.

Guest Bob Mahelp

A mate of mine was a decent footballer and was on Hearts' books at 16 (not any more). 

He tells me that relatively few professional footballers are big fans of any team, simply because as kids they're concentrating on training and playing rather than going to watch games. 

Players can still be 'fans', but hardly any of them support their team in the normal way....