Jump to content
GableEnder21

Mighty Montrose FC 2019 / 2020

Recommended Posts

Thought it was a decent run out. Team looks fit and it was interesting to watch the rotation of players/positions throughout the game. Lyons looks like a prospect and it was great to see Cammy back home. Marty looked good .. a bit rusty now and again but that’s to be expected. Some very tidy passing through midfield but really lack a focal point upfront. Think what we learned is what we already know .. need a strong centre half, an experienced centre forward and a goalie. Easier said than done, I know. All of that said we’re well ahead of where we were at this time last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GableEnder21 said:

Was a good enough run out. Played some nice stuff at times particularly in the first half. Cammy and Matty were terrific at the back. Lyons looked really good. Think he will turn out to be a great find.

 

👍

I couldn’t make it to the Formartine friendly yesterday.

So is Cammy Ballantine back with the Mo?

Just hoping that’s the Cammy you are talking about above?

Edited by Angus of the Mo
Quote in wrong place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/06/2019 at 18:59, Angus of the Mo said:

Is it true Cammy Ballantine is back with us?

Not that Cammy Ballantine, I think you're confusing him with the other Cammy Ballantyne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Not that Cammy Ballantine, I think you're confusing him with the other Cammy Ballantyne.

Aye, Cammy that played with Montrose (on loan from Dundee Utd) then went onto Dumbarton. That Cammy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Aye, Cammy that played with Montrose (on loan from Dundee Utd) then went onto Dumbarton. That Cammy?

There's only one proper Cammy and he's back at the MO. 

On yesterday clearly both sides were under strength due to holidays etc. as happens with part-time players/families. Terry Masson, Dillo, Yano to name just three and CJ will be out for a good while yet after his operation shortly. Formartine also a few short such as Jonny Crawford.

We looked a bit rusty but that's why we play pre-season friendlies. SP will have noticed like we all did that there were far too many stray passes and a lack of sharpness and I'll be worried if most of that is still there when we come to the Betfred Cup games. On the positive side Padge had a great game in midfield and that area will be better when Masson and Watson are alongside him. Watson is only a stand in centre back (hopefully) and we need him in midfield. Milne I like in the hole behind the strikers and the star of the day was Blair Lyons who started a bit nervously (stepping up a few levels) but as the game wore on he showed what a player he is. We've longed for a player with technical ability up front to take players on and he does that.  Mclean and Rennie still a lot to do but with Lyons alongside and Milne in behind I think they will get chances. Last word for Matty, really pleased he got through the full 90 minutes, a great lad and if he stays fit will be like a new signing.

See you at Cove next week - must look to smooth things out a bit more there before we bring on the Smokies.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MOFOREVER said:

There's only one proper Cammy and he's back at the MO. 

On yesterday clearly both sides were under strength due to holidays etc. as happens with part-time players/families. Terry Masson, Dillo, Yano to name just three and CJ will be out for a good while yet after his operation shortly. Formartine also a few short such as Jonny Crawford.

We looked a bit rusty but that's why we play pre-season friendlies. SP will have noticed like we all did that there were far too many stray passes and a lack of sharpness and I'll be worried if most of that is still there when we come to the Betfred Cup games. On the positive side Padge had a great game in midfield and that area will be better when Masson and Watson are alongside him. Watson is only a stand in centre back (hopefully) and we need him in midfield. Milne I like in the hole behind the strikers and the star of the day was Blair Lyons who started a bit nervously (stepping up a few levels) but as the game wore on he showed what a player he is. We've longed for a player with technical ability up front to take players on and he does that.  Mclean and Rennie still a lot to do but with Lyons alongside and Milne in behind I think they will get chances. Last word for Matty, really pleased he got through the full 90 minutes, a great lad and if he stays fit will be like a new signing.

See you at Cove next week - must look to smooth things out a bit more there before we bring on the Smokies.

 

 

Thanks for that.

Im real pleased Cammy is back.

I can’t make it to Cove either, holiday getting in the way.

McLean had a shite game last time we played Forfar, just wish he would be more aggressive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2019 at 16:14, Aidan said:

I noticed Chris Templenan played at centre back for Kennoway Star Hearts last week, bring him home

I head Chris is being taken out of retirement to play for Brechin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I head Chris is being taken out of retirement to play for Brechin
That almost certainly isn't happening, the poster that mentioned him on the Brechin City thread wasn't being serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2019 at 13:00, Angus of the Mo said:

Thanks for that.

Im real pleased Cammy is back.

I can’t make it to Cove either, holiday getting in the way.

McLean had a shite game last time we played Forfar, just wish he would be more aggressive.

 

The fact that Russell had a dislocated ankle last season seemed to play on his mind towards the end of the season. 

 

Think a Full pre season in him and we will see a different player to that that finished the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of days to ponder over this one. We looked a bit rusty in the first half but, despite not scoring, a bit better in the second.
As everyone has said, highlight of the day was the display from Blair Murray  sorry, Blair Lyons. A very promising debut and he can only get better with a few more games under his belt.
Both full backs had good games and could well be our main attacking force this season.  Good to see Matty getting a full game and I'm sure we will be much stronger once Dillon and Yano are back. Still screaming out for an out and out striker though. Hurry up and get Josh Skelly in there.

Edited by PortyMo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PortyMo said:

A couple of days to ponder over this one. We looked a bit rusty in the first half but, despite not scoring, a bit better in the second.
As everyone has said, highlight of the day was the display from Blair Murray  sorry, Blair Lyons. A very promising debut and he can only get better with a few more games under his belt.
Both full backs had good games and could well be our main attacking force this season.  Good to see Matty getting a full game and I'm sure we will be much stronger once Dillon and Foxy are back. Still screaming out for an out and out striker though. Hurry up and get Josh Skelly in there.

Foxy retired last season so won’t be back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Links_Park_Dynamo said:

Foxy retired last season so won’t be back.

 

My mistake - Yano and edited - thanks

 

 

Edited by PortyMo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaron Lennox young goalkeeper last club Partick Thistle signs for Montrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quietly and without a fuss SP continues to build a very sound squad - good at the back, feisty in midfield and good on the wings. Others sides have added far more players but will they be a team? At least one of the teams that are investing will implode when they don’t make a fast start. We are strengthening a side that made the play offs last year, I feel confident we can repeat. Looking forward to Cove tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Stewart Whyte said:

Quietly and without a fuss SP continues to build a very sound squad - good at the back, feisty in midfield and good on the wings. Others sides have added far more players but will they be a team? At least one of the teams that are investing will implode when they don’t make a fast start. We are strengthening a side that made the play offs last year, I feel confident we can repeat. Looking forward to Cove tomorrow.

"Looking forward to Cove tomorrow." You do appreciate Stewart, that until quite recently, such a phrase uttered by a Mo fan would be viewed along the same lines as dunking your bahookey in the Amazon River, just as a shoal of starving piranhas happened to be swimming past.

Here's to a new era of optimism!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Looking forward to Cove tomorrow." You do appreciate Stewart, that until quite recently, such a phrase uttered by a Mo fan would be viewed along the same lines as dunking your bahookey in the Amazon River, just as a shoal of starving piranhas happened to be swimming past.
Here's to a new era of optimism!
 
As a fan living in Aberdeen, it's my closest possible game, so am similarly looking forward to this afternoon.

Balmoral Stadium on a day like today will match Gayfield for levels of windyness and getting out of the industrial estate car park can be a joke if busy, but looking forward to seeing some of the new/returning boys get a run out this afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing the first couple of friendlies i think our defence will be very strong. Steeves, Ballantyne, Allan and Dillo is a great back four. If SP can bring in a solid centre back we can play 5 and get the best out of the two wing backs.
However I am concerned about up top. Lyons looks a player but time will tell. McLean really has got a lot to do to impress me. Half the time he doesn't look arsed and for the size of him he doesn't get himself about enough. I really think we lack a proven centre forward who can bang in the goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
After seeing the first couple of friendlies i think our defence will be very strong. Steeves, Ballantyne, Allan and Dillo is a great back four. If SP can bring in a solid centre back we can play 5 and get the best out of the two wing backs.
However I am concerned about up top. Lyons looks a player but time will tell. McLean really has got a lot to do to impress me. Half the time he doesn't look arsed and for the size of him he doesn't get himself about enough. I really think we lack a proven centre forward who can bang in the goals.

I think you’re being kind to McLean ... he looks like he can’t be arsed 100% of the time. He doesn’t win headers .. can’t hold the ball up .. doesn’t make runs behind defenders and gets pushed around far too easily. Basically, he has contributed nothing in the two friendlies so far .. and nothing last season. I trust that SP knows what he’s doing but right now we are looking very poor up top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not paper over the cracks. That was woeful today.  If that's all we've got to offer then it's going to be a long, hard season. The main are of concern is up front. We have absolutely no threat going forward.  We need an out and out striker. Hopefully CJ can come back and hit the ground running. Blair Lyons looked promising in the first half and Josh Skelly looked keen in the second but both are playing a lone striker role.  Why - because our big No. 10 is utterly useless. For someone who is 6"4', unless the ball is fired at him at about 5'8" he has no chance in the air. He couldn't trap a bag of cement.

Apart from that, we didn't have an attempt at goal in the first half and it was about 70 minutes before we had our first. 

Positives - big Lennox had a decent debut in goals and the return of Josh Skelly.

Oh, and #10 is positively gash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...