Mighty Montrose FC 2019 / 2020

When best to get our first win of the season than against our local neighbors. I really think we can go to Forfar and win! They have not had a great start to the season either and their fans are starting to question some of their summer recruits. 

It was clear that Steeves and Watson were not quite fit on sat however with two more training sessions this week i think they will be raring to go. I would start with Rennie and Lyons again. I thought they both played quite well and Rennie was unfortunate to come off. New Cammy was tidy enough for his first game, i can see him being a good player for us.

I really want SP to play the 5 at the back formation that worked so well for us a couple of years  ago and i would imagine all Mo fans would want the same. Ballantyne, Waddel, Dillon, Allan and Steeves. Yano for me should not be a starter and Allan is not comfortable in midfield.

Josh Skelly away to Broughty Athletic permanent deal,good luck to the lad looked really up for it pre season and the games he played in for us am sure he will do really well at broughty...All the best.

Bit surprised by that. Thought he looked good the little I'd seen of him.
All the best to him going forward.

Always worried with the fixtures we got we could end up getting into a losing habit at the start of the League.
Reading the reports it seems we are going backwards instead of improving as we play teams we should be competing with. Big couple of weeks upcoming.

Thread title needs amending u think.

Well on top until Jackson got injured.
Forfar grew into the game but took the lead through some terrible defending from a basic corner but was well against the run of play.
Second half was woeful.
Until we start putting some of our chances away we're on a hiding to nothing. Stats show that we had 11 attempts at goal and one on target. If we continue to squander chances like that we are up the creek.
Positives - Young Cammy and Mac Beth both impressed.

Rant incoming.. I take no pleasure from it but .. we are absolutely honking. If there was any doubt about how important Padge was to us the last two games have exposed it big time. There’s no one in there capable of winning a tackle or passing the ball. As a result we end up punting it on to the heads of the opposition centre halves who always outjump our “strikers”. Happened last week and this. Martin tried hard but his confidence is shot to bits .. so always ends up taking that extra touch that lets the defender get back. Fed up seeing Kerr (who is a million miles away from being fit enough) moved to centre forward in a “hit it and hope” tactic that belongs in the 1980’s. It’s time for SP to pick a team and formation and stick to it. Lost track of how many switches were made today. Blair started central then went left then right .. started well but the poor kid looked confused by the end. Liam started on left then went right (can’t kick with his right foot?) .. and disappeared. He did work hard though. Is new Cammy a defensive midfielder or an attacking one? He seemed to be asked to do both .. result he did neither (but did his very best .. so not slagging him off). Winker started well but ended up rank rotten .. best summed up by him standing at the edge of the Forfar box in the second half moaning about a bad cross while Forfar broke up the park .. which luckily for him Liam bust a gut to cover. The team spirit of the last few seasons seems to have evaporated as well .. too many players arguing today. So what positives were there today? Aaron and Dillo were solid. “Old” Cammy was .. well Cammy! Steeves bust a gut again. Matty was much better playing in his usual position. Forfar were not much better than us .. but they were much more clinical at the front and back. Must win game next week.

On 24/09/2019 at 21:37, mo83 said:

Josh Skelly you mean?What's Ross username on here and il ask away...emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Don't bother, it's history now and we move on.

Whilst mentioning Ross Campbell though how about playing him as an attacking midfielder? He's fit and we are sadly lacking in experience there now Padge has gone. I think Ross could do a job there and provide great on field support and encouragement for the young lads up top - i.e. Lyons and MacBeath who both loooked OK at Forfar but seriously lacked an experienced head behind them. Just a though maybe worth trying in the present circumstances especially if Masson is out for another game or even if he isn't.

Sorry to say it has been tried before and was a disaster, to my mind Ross Campbell is not the solution but the problem. For being assistant manager he should be a leader on the park encouraging the younger players instead of continually whining! We need a settled eleven and not change week in week out, its the only way to get into a winning groove that allows players to knit. 

For me we should start with last weeks eleven.