Mighty Montrose FC 2019 / 2020

How do you know if dillon had stayed on you would have got something? Airdrie were dominating with eleven men.

Obviously I don’t know that but that’s what I think. Airdrie were hardly “dominating” the game before Dillo got sent off and once they scored they were simply hanging on for full time.

I dont understand your begining, I though you built a really good team (probably 3/4 after falkirk and raith)
Early days yet,every confidence we will come good,need to start taking our chances and take the heat off the Defence.

I thought we played quite well at both Raith and Falkirk but undid ourselves late in each game. The Raith game particularly we missed several key players through injury/illness but SP did his best to re-group and play it tight. Fair does but we have to see it through for the full 90 minutes, obviously. We missed Steeves particularly and without being unkind I don't think we would have conceded those 3 late goals if he had been there. Without Masson and Watson we were light weight in midfield and although Cregg did his best he can't do it on his own. He had Cammy alongside in the first 65 minutes and we competed in that area but as soon as he went to right back with Matty coming off that's when our resistance collapsed and we gave up midfield to go for a defended point. If you were at the game you could see there was no doubt about that. I can see why the change was made and fair enough but we have to look at the reasons why 3 late goals were conceded. There was one other prime reason as well but I'm not going into that (but it wasn't anything to do with Seagull).

Turning to this Saturday I hope Masson is fit and back. Watson won't be nor will Steeves but I'd leave Cammy in midfield and go for it. We have to beat Dumbarton and we're not going to do that just by defending. They are vulnerable at the back but have a key striker. I'd go with three strikers with Lyons, Skelly and one other either Ross Campbell or Rennie. Backed up by Ballantyne, Masson and Cregg in behind I think we can score goals and defend as well. We have to sort out our threat up front and this is the game where we have to give it a b----y good go! Get yourseles there and get behind the lads.

On 25/08/2019 at 10:15, notsofedupendie said:

Obviously I don’t know that but that’s what I think. Airdrie were hardly “dominating” the game before Dillo got sent off and once they scored they were simply hanging on for full time.

I don’t think Airdrie were a better team, the sending off of course made a difference.

I admire the Airdrie players because they knew the sending off and penalty was a stitch up and I reckon they flunked the penalty on purpose.

I hope Airdrie can Police themselves and sort out that fekkin disgrace of bigots they brought with them.

2 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

I don’t think Airdrie were a better team, the sending off of course made a difference.

I admire the Airdrie players because they knew the sending off and penalty was a stitch up and I reckon they flunked the penalty on purpose.

I hope Airdrie can Police themselves and sort out that fekkin disgrace of bigots they brought with them.

mePvR5.gif

After saying I thought we played OK in the two previous games that wasn't the case against Dumbarton and we must be brutally honest about it even if it hurts.  OK  injuries to key players have cost us but we still have a decent squad. Certain players out there against Dumbarton however are struggling to be up to scratch at League 1 level and I don't need to name names.

There is another problem however as I see it and if it isn't addressed then we will have problems even when our best eleven are on the park. We know we have scoring problems and SP tried to throw more men forward against Dumbarton, credit to him for that BUT we didn't win individual battles anywhere on the pitch. That's not good enough. Look at a couple of examples (apart from giving up midfield). As a team we never attacked the ball from set pieces. We had several corners and not one did we win on delivery although I admit some deliveries were poor, but not all. Then look at the defence today where we had lads just as big as theirs yet they won enough in the air to win the game. THE PROBLEM IS WE ARE NOT DETAILING A MAN TO ATTACK THE BALL !  All well and good this zonal marking thing BUT somebody has to not be marking a man but his job has to be to attack the ball and get it away. We weren't doing that and paid the price. The goalie should command his 6 yard box but a defender must attack the cross elsewhere in the box - Kerr Waddell is a big lad and good in the air so I suggest he's the one who should be the one to do it. If we don't do that we will continue to pay the price.

So yes we have problems up front which will take time to remedy but the problems we had at the back yesterday must be remedied NOW.

We never looked like getting anything out of the Thistle game even after going one down within the first couple of minutes. We just can't seem to control a game even for short periods. We have injury problems but midfield is now a problem area and that's the engine room of any team. Work to be done by SP yet but if we have a couple of new guys coming in we could do with shipping a couple out on loan as we have strikers who just aren't striking for us at present.  

For Montrose fans who don't manage to get to Links Park much e.g. exiles, please note that a new book has recently been published and is available from Montrose FC. If you have any difficulty, just let me know on here.

The book is ' More of the Journey so far ... ' and is 472 pages, A4 size (with coil binding so it stays open). It covers every result from formation in 1879 to the end of the 2018/9 season including 100's of friendly results from before Montrose joined a league set-up in 1891. There are also a few results from before 1879 as there was a MFC before that albeit not one which conformed with SFA rules - Ok, some might say we still don't! Also included are team squad details from 1879, Club Officials, results of every league and cup competition played in, loads of statistics, reserve team results and loads of other 'anorack' style stuff. All of it Season by Season and also Opponent by Opponent.

Cost is £15 to Montrose Season Ticket holders and Supporters Club members, £20 to everybody else. It'll cost about £3 to post out Second Class because it is a weighty thing.

Journey.jpeg