Mighty Montrose FC 2019 / 2020

Question is: Has SP taken Montrose as far as they realistically can go?

That would be a sensible jumping off point.

He has spoken of his desire to make Montrose the best team in Angus. If he is capable of emulating D.C.'s success with Arbroath and getting Montrose into the Championship, then unquestionably that could be considered job done.

His status as a successful manager at this level would surely justify him being given a crack at a full-time club. Getting the Pars back up to the Premier League would certainly be a great achievement and could pave the way for even greater success at a bigger club.

Sure, he could walk away from Montrose FC and nobody would have a bad word to say about him but surely the timing of such a move is critical. I like to think there is still some useful mileage in it for him, staying a bit longer with us.

With apologies to Mr Jones, there is a good thing going on with S.P. and Montrose and this is  comparitively rare in football. I would have thought risking joining the crash and burn statistics of football management at this stage, wouldn't be an astute move.

He will know when it is time to move on. For Montrose F.C.'s sake, I hope that isn't for a while yet.

For anybody interested Montrose FC won the Testimonial game against Junior side Montrose Roselea 10-1. A bit harsh on Roselea though who didn't play that badly but lacked finishing and strength as the match wore on. Didn't help being 4-0 down though even before many folk were sat down. A crowd of 135 braved the bitterfly cold weather to support Testimonial player Jordan Reoch who has played for both clubs. He scored the Roselea goal from a penalty as keeper Fleming tried his best to keep out of the way. Well done Jordan and keep it going mate.

For those who may have removed such memories from their mind: this popped up on my news feed today, from 10 years ago - Saturday 16th Jan 2010.

Montrose 4-2 up at home to Stranraer with 15 to play. We were yet to register a win in the league and were deep in the midst of a terrible Weir run and looked like finally registering a league win.

Boyler warmed the bench that day, and we ended up losing 4-5. Goal scorers on the day for us: 2 for Paul Tosh, 1 for Maitland and 1 for Alan Campbell, who I found out just recently is still kicking around and has just re-signed for Scone Thistle.

For those who may have removed such memories from their mind: this popped up on my news feed today, from 10 years ago - Saturday 16th Jan 2010.

Montrose 4-2 up at home to Stranraer with 15 to play. We were yet to register a win in the league and were deep in the midst of a terrible Weir run and looked like finally registering a league win.

Boyler warmed the bench that day, and we ended up losing 4-5. Goal scorers on the day for us: 2 for Paul Tosh, 1 for Maitland and 1 for Alan Campbell, who I found out just recently is still kicking around and has just re-signed for Scone Thistle.

I remember it all too well .. Tweed was utterly clueless. Was sat next to him last season at a Mo game .. he was trying to act billy big time with someone he’d brought along. Midway through the first half he said he’d have the left back (Steeves) off at halftime because he wasn’t good enough. Fkk me!! Hilariously, Andrew created a goal and the fkkwit left shortly thereafter.

I always liked Rennie even though I felt he never really fulfilled his potential. 

A decent player but he just didn't seem streetwise enough for the rigours of lower league scottish fitba.

He was a vital cog in our championship winning machine and he deserves to be be remembered.

I wish him all the best and I'll be keeping an eye on the  Pat's to see how he does.

Good move for both parties - he gets to test himself at a decent level, we get a fee which presumably goes towards a replacement. Wish him well, even though he didn't kick on this season as much as hoped. 

That's it confirmed that Blair Lyons has signed for Partick Thistle on a two and a half year deal. Fantastic move for him. To think that he was playing in the lowland league last season is remarkable. 

He stays at Montrose loan until the end of the season which is great bit of business, i can imagine Partick would have wanted him now considering the trouble they are in. Also sounds like a significant fee has been agreed which again is brilliant for the club. 

Shame to be losing Martin and Blair (eventually), but does show player pathway to others who might be looking to step up to SPFL football and move up, who might have previously overlooked Montrose.