Mighty Montrose FC 2019 / 2020

On 15/12/2019 at 19:36, Angus of the Mo said:

Och well, shit happens.

Dublin has a lot of stag parties and groups visiting to go out on the pish, while the Irish are generally very friendly, the stag parties are a bit of an issue with Dubliners, for obvious reasons.

To simply go ‘shit happens’ when they were arrested for what could be a serious assault is just the kind of attitude that embarrasses ‘football fans’. Just because they play for your team it doesn’t excuse their actions and you’re allowed to completely condemn it. Football really is morally fucked.

I’d love to see clubs start to take this sort of thing a lot more serious.

2 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

Random question, what’s the deal with the terrace behind the goals. It’s an usual shape (I like it to be fair) but seems odd it curves into the pitch and not the stepped terrace along the pitch. Any historical reasons for this?

That’s not the terracing we get btw, we get the smaller one at the other end 

42 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

I know man, just noticed it had a wee bit of character about it and wondered what the history of it is. Hopefully no rain or it will be a soaker behind the goals on Saturday emoji23.png

Yeah I was a bit gutted, have never been to Montrose before and thought we got the big terracing behind the goal but not to be. Weather looks decent, should be a good trip 

Random question, what’s the deal with the terrace behind the goals. It’s an usual shape (I like it to be fair) but seems odd it curves into the pitch and not the stepped terrace along the pitch. Any historical reasons for this?
IIRC we bought it from the local Highland Games committee in the 1920's and relocated it to Links Park. Think that is what Stevie Doyle says in his latest update of "The Story So Far", which charts the history of Montrose FC.

15 minutes ago, VillaKnollBoy said:
1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

IIRC we bought it from the local Highland Games committee in the 1920's and relocated it to Links Park. Think that is what Stevie Doyle says in his latest update of "The Story So Far", which charts the history of Montrose FC.

Think that was the old main stand Ken.

The old stand was at that side of the pitch until redevelopment in the 90s  when it was switched to the present location. 

The terracing used to start at the curved bit and go right around the pitch to the edge of the 18 yard line at the opposite end although the corner wasn't covered. 

Edited by PortyMo

Here's Links Park before it was redeveloped.

imageproxy.jpeg.jpg.85e808af8b217ccdf381f624eefbcfd9.jpg

The pitched was moved when the new stand was built. The curved bit used to go around the corner flag. I'm pretty sure it extended for another few feet so they must have chopped a bit off when the work was done. 

There was an additional quirk, clearly visible above. The side terracing was angled. It wasn't parallel to the pitch.

There was no proper toilets either. You just had to pish behind a wall in the overgrown wasteland behind the side terrace.

Here's Links Park before it was redeveloped.
imageproxy.jpeg.jpg.85e808af8b217ccdf381f624eefbcfd9.jpg
The pitched was moved when the new stand was built. The curved bit used to go around the corner flag. I'm pretty sure it extended for another few feet so they must have chopped a bit off when the work was done. 
There was an additional quirk, clearly visible above. The side terracing was angled. It wasn't parallel to the pitch.
There was no proper toilets either. You just had to pish behind a wall in the overgrown wasteland behind the side terrace.

You answered my next question, what did the old main stand look like as I had heard the story about the Highland games.

Why did they opt to remove that main stand for the one now? Just objectively I think that picture of links park looks phenomenal. Proper old school ground.

21 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

You answered my next question, what did the old main stand look like as I had heard the story about the Highland games.

Why did they opt to remove that main stand for the one now? Just objectively I think that picture of links park looks phenomenal. Proper old school ground.

Yeah. I was disappointed when the new stand was erected. While it's true that there are better facilities it left the ground looking lopsided and rather silly tbh. Particularly as the other side was just abandoned for a few years. When the old shower block was demolished the tiles were just left exposed.

There was no proper toilets either. You just had to pish behind a wall in the overgrown wasteland behind the side terrace.

As I remember, next to the stand, you went round to the back of a brick wall and found, well nothing except the other side of the wall. I think the luxury of a shallow cement “trench” may have taken the run-off somewhere. 

It was shockingly primitive. As a child of the sixties/seventies, it felt like time travel back to the “dirty thirties”,  with an aroma to match.

2 hours ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

Cracking video of Links Park from around 1980

Yeah, like I thought. You can see clearly that the curved bit of the Dynamo used to extend as far as the end of the pitch.

i can't quite make it out as the video is so grainy, but is the beach end terraced with railway sleepers there? It could be concrete but the video isn't clear. My first game was around 1983 and I can't remember if it was concrete there or not. 

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Yeah, like I thought. You can see clearly that the curved bit of the Dynamo used to extend as far as the end of the pitch.
i can't quite make it out as the video is so grainy, but is the beach end terraced with railway sleepers there? It could be concrete but the video isn't clear. My first game was around 1983 and I can't remember if it was concrete there or not. 
Railway sleepers at the Beach End and right round to the start of the covered South Terrace.

3 hours ago, VillaKnollBoy said:
4 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Railway sleepers at the Beach End and right round to the start of the covered South Terrace.

And slippy as hell when wet!