Mighty Montrose FC 2019 / 2020

Blair Lyons what a signing he is turning out to be.Great piece of work getting him signed on again as their has to be clubs taking note of him,Stirling uni to banging them in league 1 take a bow sir.

Excellent result from the Mo today, next two games results appear to shape the rest of the season. If the Mo manage to get 4 points from 6, I’ll predict a top half finish. EF away will be tricky.
You get results in the season that prove to be signposts on how things are going to go.
Last season the 1-0 win away at Airdrie early on convinced me we would compete all season after coming up. The 3-2 beating of Raith Rovers had me looking up the table to the playoffs rather than down.
Today's result, albeit against a struggling Airdrie, feels a bit that way to me for this season. Back in touch with most of the pack and teams falling the wrong way with us heading up the table.

Tough cup draw but winnable. Could be all-ticket so I want to reserve one.

Crap pitch surface though - did you see it on TV on Friday against Buckie Thistle?

Apart from that, full respect to Bonnyrigg but if SP puts his strongest side out we should do it.

1 hour ago, MOFOREVER said:

Crap pitch surface though - did you see it on TV on Friday against Buckie Thistle?

Apart from that, full respect to Bonnyrigg but if SP puts his strongest side out we should do it.

The pitch is well looked after and is generally a good surface to play on.  There was a shit load of rainfall previous to the game. 

Great performances at both Clyde and Airdrie, thoroughly enjoyed watching the team the last few games.  Much more solid at the back and we have real pace up front with Webby, Lyons and McBeath however I have been most impressed with our midfield. The energy that we have in there with Ballantyne and Callaghan is ridiculous, they literally look like they could run all day, mix this with a very experienced Paul Watson to break up plan and slow things down when needed makes a very balanced team.

Bonnyrigg Rose will be a very tough game indeed was hoping for an easier draw but hey ho,would rather Bonnyrigg than Auchinleck Tablot to be fair very tricky tie for Dick Campbell men.

Posted 27th September - 

"We need a settled eleven and not change week in week out, its the only way to get into a winning groove that allows players to knit. 

For me we should start with last weeks eleven."

Three good wins under our belt, team selection kept in previous weeks and showing team spirit once again. Stranraer at home this week should not be taken lightly, they are a tight passing side who play on the deck, you just need to watch their highlights from last Saturday, it will be a tough game but winnable. Saturday will be a game of patience!

We have four matches till the Scottish Cup tie, lets take one game at a time and hopefully be in a good position by December, no team stands out in this league, that's why it is so tight!

It's a cracker of a cup tie for me. Different place to visit and with the changes taking place in the pyramid hopefully a view of the future.
Yes we could of got an easier tie with Bonnyrigg flying and a club going places but bring it on.

On a barely football-related '70's Montrose trivia matter...

There is a link between a MFC director, Montrose and Bonnyrigg (and Tranent) but you would have to be oldish to know what it was. 

(* Warning, this is a minority interest post, so please don't take umbrage if it is irrelevant to you.)

Edited by Brummo
Insecurity

10 hours ago, Brummo said:

There is a link between a MFC director, Montrose and Bonnyrigg (and Tranent) but you would have to be oldish to know what it was. 

(* Warning, this is a minority interest post, so please don't take umbrage if it is irrelevant to you.)

Spill the beanz...

After 4 wins in a row we can look at it from the point of view that we know we can beat those 4 teams so of the other 5 we haven't yet beaten this season we can look to see how many of those we can beat if we play our best. Of those 5 I think we are capable of beating Forfar and of getting something out of Dumbarton. Falkirk, Raith and East Fife may be a more difficult but frankly we could well have got something away at Falkirk but for a daft giveaway goal by Fleming. Same away at Raith where we had a weakened team but held it at 0-0 until SP made substitutions which didn't work and we lost 3 late goals. East Fife were worth their win at LP but if they fade away like last season we can take them as well - we'll see how we do there next Saturday.

So, looking positively it's in our own hands but we have to focus for the full 90 minutes. Last Saturday we had the beating of Stranraer (who were a decent team) at 1-0 up but came out in the second half and started playing with one up front which was young MacBeath who wasn't having the best of games and was not going to do anything on his own. Lyons was brought off remember. We handed the initiative to Stranraer and it always looked like they would score, and they did but after that it was them who looked like going on to win it. Only a late substitution by SP saved the day and Cammy pounced for the winner. The point I'm making is that we just can't do that i.e. switch off in the second half and sit on a 1-0 lead. That won't work against most teams never mind the better ones. We must stay switched on for 90 minutes and not hand the initiative to the opposition - we are as good as anybody else but equally we self destruct at times.

Easy said I know, but to be successful we have to compete for the full game.

On 24/10/2019 at 20:18, Brummo said:

Is it David Larter who played in goals for these teams?

C’mon The Rose 

10 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

Of those 5 I think we are capable of beating Forfar and of getting something out of Dumbarton. Falkirk, Raith and East Fife may be a more difficult.

Evidence from the Broadwood performance, (and if that is typical of the other 3 victories) would suggest that you are more than capable of beating both Dumbarton and Falkirk.

Thoughts for Saturday - East Fife are on a roll, unbeaten at home but that has to come to an end sometime. We were beaten 3-1 at Links Park earlier in the season the turning point being reduced to ten men straight from the kick off after equalising. Who knows what the outcome of that game may have been having eleven players. We now have a settled side, a strong bench and good team spirit that has kept us in games this was was shown on Saturday when we won 2-1. The determination is there and there is no reason why we cannot get a result this Saturday.

2 hours ago, esortnom said:

Thoughts for Saturday - East Fife are on a roll, unbeaten at home but that has to come to an end sometime. We were beaten 3-1 at Links Park earlier in the season the turning point being reduced to ten men straight from the kick off after equalising. Who knows what the outcome of that game may have been having eleven players. We now have a settled side, a strong bench and good team spirit that has kept us in games this was was shown on Saturday when we won 2-1. The determination is there and there is no reason why we cannot get a result this Saturday.

No reason why we cant go there and win. As you said they have to get beat at some point. We went there twice last season and won so no reason why we cant be confident that the same can happen this season.

With that being said if you were to offer i draw i would take it now and then focus on getting three points against Forfar at home in the next game.

Fantastic 5 wins on the trot - no reason why we can't continue the run but must keep fully focused and not switch off. I moaned a bit about that after the Stranraer game but we put it right at East Fife and stayed switched on for the full 90. Maybe because we were playing top unbeaten team away but we now know the lads can do it so must do it again next Saturday and onwards. They are a decent team so credit where it's due - the benchmark was set at East Fife!

Without wishing to single any player out of a good team performance I have to say the lad Sena looked the part and certainly should improve more given pitch time. Webby is playing his best football for yonks and is a real handful for any opposition right now. His right side partnership with Cammy the original is working really well. Aaron Lennox looks the part more now as well but still needs to command his 6 yard box - did that better at East Fife so credit there. Matty Allan is a crucial defender as well alongside Dillon. No disrespect to others not mentioned but just look at the bench as well and easy to see cause for more optimism. BUT, no complacency please - benchmark set and that standard must be achieved regularly if only to help me with the long drive home on these dark nights now!

Thoughts for Saturday -

140th Celebrations this week and fittingly near neighbours Forfar as opposition. By bringing the East Fife winning run to an end we now set ourselves up to be the team to be knocked of the pedestal after winning five on the trot. Forfar have lost their last five games last winning 2-0 at Station Park against the Mo and we should heed that warning!

This will be the fourth time that we have faced Forfar counting cup matches, winning one. The times I have watched Forfar this season including Saturday against Falkirk, they sit high, play a long ball hitting quickly on the break and zonal marking at set pieces could be our downfall as Travis, Hilson and Coupe need to be shackled man for man. That said Forfar didn’t offer much which has partly resulted in Jim Weir’s resignation.

We are at home and if we play as we have in previous weeks and keep it tight then we can win this one. Another close game is forecast in a very tight league.