Mighty Montrose FC 2019 / 2020

My first Mo game was actually against Thistle at Links Park. It was before the new stand went up with the side terracing full.
The thing that stands out was all the jags fans having a kick about on the park at either end prior to kick off and a steward trying to chase them off before the teams ran out. He didn't succeed.

I'm pretty certain we got beat but it's nearly 30 years ago.
f**k me I'm getting old.

Just to set the record straight we've met Partick Thistle 15 times in competitive games- all league games, We won 3, 3 were drawn and Thistle won 9. We scored 13, they scored 27. We also played a friendly at LP on 26th March 2003 and Thistle won 4-0. The only other times we've played each other were  in a friendly at Links Park for the first time ever on 3rd January 1890 as part of our well established New Year celebrations and we lost 1-4. Again they were our New Year guests at LP on 2nd Jan 1894 and drew 2-2.  Back then there was also a team called Glasgow Thistle but they were nothing to do with Partick Thistle who were founded in 1876. 

Just to set the record straight we've met Partick Thistle 15 times in competitive games- all league games, We won 3, 3 were drawn and Thistle won 9. We scored 13, they scored 27. We also played a friendly at LP on 26th March 2003 and Thistle won 4-0. The only other times we've played each other were  in a friendly at Links Park for the first time ever on 3rd January 1890 as part of our well established New Year celebrations and we lost 1-4. Again they were our New Year guests at LP on 2nd Jan 1894 and drew 2-2.  Back then there was also a team called Glasgow Thistle but they were nothing to do with Partick Thistle who were founded in 1876. 
We also played them at Links Park about 10 years ago

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

5-0 in the league is the highest competitive scoreline between the sides. Have never met in any of the Cups, as MOFOREVER said.

Quite happy with drawing Montrose, and looking forward to a first visit to Links Park. Hopefully the chronic “Plastic Whistle” chat seen above is kept to a minimum.

Never realised how tetchy Thistle supporters were. Suppose it comes from being looked down on by fellow weedgies and always asked who their big team is.

Sad I won't be there to experience the absolutely stellar patter of Harry Wraggs' fans and the Glesga banter from their Hyndland intelligentsia...

West-end Ultras! (See attached pic.)

efe6d5a47ef321a72c601fd07e5115c3d906b1a5.jpg

Edited by Brummo
Why not?

6 hours ago, Aidan said:
7 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

We also played them at Links Park about 10 years ago

According to the photos from the club website, we played them 20/7/06.

DSCF7123.jpg

15 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

My first Mo game was actually against Thistle at Links Park. It was before the new stand went up with the side terracing full.
The thing that stands out was all the jags fans having a kick about on the park at either end prior to kick off and a steward trying to chase them off before the teams ran out. He didn't succeed.

I'm pretty certain we got beat but it's nearly 30 years ago.
f**k me I'm getting old.

Was that the game where the Jags secured promotion at the end of the season and they invaded the hallowed turf at the final whistle?

I remember the day when Killie were promoted. You may be thinking of that?

My ex-gf, being from the land of soap avoidance, was  amused by their rendition of "Hello, hello, we are the Killie boys".  Thankful the Mo haven't stooped to the level of plagiarising OF doggerel.

E.T.A. Checked the records and Killie weren't promoted that day. They still needed a point from their game against Cowdenbeath at Rugby Park to clinch second place from Scottish League Two in Season 89-90. Brechin were champions. The Mo were second bottom to, you'll never guess, East Stirlingshire.

Edited by Brummo
Clarity.

39 minutes ago, Brummo said:

I remember the day when Killie were promoted. You may be thinking of that?

My ex-gf, being from the land of soap avoidance, was  amused by their rendition of "Hello, hello, we are the Killie boys".  Thankful the Mo haven't stooped to the level of plagiarising OF doggerel.

Nah, it was definitely Partick at the tail end of the 91/92 season. I am mistaken though, I've just checked the league table and they finished ahead of Accies on goal difference so it didn't actually seal promotion for them on that day. Without checking the results i'm pretty sure our relegation was confirmed after that match.

Our final match that season was when we beat Dundee at Dens, after we had already been relegated.

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Nah, it was definitely Partick at the tail end of the 91/92 season. I am mistaken though, I've just checked the league table and they finished ahead of Accies on goal difference so it didn't actually seal promotion for them on that day. Without checking the results i'm pretty sure our relegation was confirmed after that match.

Our final match that season was when we beat Dundee at Dens, after we had already been relegated.

Over the years, there can't have been that many titles won at Links Park. Somebody better at maths/stats than me could confirm but aren't the chances something like 1 in 10, given there are currently ten teams, and 5 matches played home and away? Feel free to point out the fallacy of my logic and explain properly...

23 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Over the years, there can't have been that many titles won at Links Park. Somebody better at maths/stats than me could confirm but aren't the chances something like 1 in 10, given there are currently ten teams, and 5 matches played home and away? Feel free to point out the fallacy of my logic and explain properly...

I'm pretty sure Stirling Albion sealed their title at Links Park in 1991 and Hamilton Accies a decade later. Oh, and Dunfermline thought they were gonna win in 1987... 😫☺️

28th April 2018?

Thanks to Jamie Redman's second half goal.

8 hours ago, mo83 said:
9 hours ago, A Username With Mo In It said:
We also played them in a pre-season friendly on 11/07/07 which was also our first ever game on the plastic fantastic.

2109351928_11-07-07MontrosevsPartick12.jpg.f41d01680d94f7e384d874acd179678a.jpg

That the boy Murray in the picture? Am surehe ended up at Stenny

That looks like either a very big striker or an extremely small full back.
Did Sanny play in this game ?

I'm pretty sure Stirling Albion sealed their title at Links Park in 1991 and Hamilton Accies a decade later. Oh, and Dunfermline thought they were gonna win in 1987... [emoji31][emoji3526]
A mind Stirling Albion winning the league,Kevin Drinkell was the Manager a think.A mind big Gary Paterson for that team,he ended Up at the Mo a few years later.Steve Mcormack another player he used to score loads for Stirling.