Mighty Montrose FC 2019 / 2020

Will we take any loan players?

The season starts this weekend and transfer window closes on 2nd September. After a pre-season look at their squads Premiership clubs are looking at trimming down to a realistic size and getting youngsters a development loan.

Montrose are nearly there - we have 20 players (2 GK, 6 Def, 6 Mid and 6 Forwards). Last year we had 3 loanees; all who added to our squad but, I don’t think we’ll see 3 this year. Loan players are a short term fix but, each year you have to start again. Loan players must be played as part of the loan - at times their inexperience is not the best thing for the given situation but, more importantly it blocks the playing times for our squad.

If we have playing time for developing youngsters the time can used by Montrose to improve our young forwards.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t take any loans, they have their place but, I don’t see it being 3 this year.

I would like to see 1 possibly 2 coming in on loan but with the size of the squad already not sure if it will happen.

I would like to see 1 possibly 2 coming in on loan but with the size of the squad already not sure if it will happen.

So would I like a couple of additions Moving on Callaghan would be a great start to making space.

10 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

3 years ago it was pretty much unthinkable that we'd ever be playing the likes of Airdrie, Raith and Falkirk in the league but here we are.

Good luck to the lads for the rest of the season.

Montrose had to go one way or the other.

My own view is that the clearout at the board saved the club. I know one of the directors, Davie Laing, used to work for him, very grounded, can mix with normal working people or big shots, shrewd and together with the chairman, and other directors, they knew the right personnel to get into the club, and that’s where Stewart Petrie came in.

For the size of town and support and potential support the Mo are where they should be.

Sad to say, that Brechin are also where they should be, their support is tiny, so is Stranraer, baffling how these clubs manage to  punch above their weight for so long or buy up good players when they are getting a couple of hundred home fans, if that. We played Brechin 2 weeks ago, they wouldn’t have had much more than 100 of their home support. They expected too much and deserted their team, they should never have been in the championship and it’s played a big part in their demise. 

I think Arbroath could survive the championship, they have a good fan base, but they will be lucky to finish above the relegation zone.

Montrose had to go one way or the other.
My own view is that the clearout at the board saved the club. I know one of the directors, Davie Laing, used to work for him, very grounded, can mix with normal working people or big shots, shrewd and together with the chairman, and other directors, they knew the right personnel to get into the club, and that’s where Stewart Petrie came in.
For the size of town and support and potential support the Mo are where they should be.
Sad to say, that Brechin are also where they should be, their support is tiny, so is Stranraer, baffling how these clubs manage to  punch above their weight for so long or buy up good players when they are getting a couple of hundred home fans, if that. We played Brechin 2 weeks ago, they wouldn’t have had much more than 100 of their home support. They expected too much and deserted their team, they should never have been in the championship and it’s played a big part in their demise. 
I think Arbroath could survive the championship, they have a good fan base, but they will be lucky to finish above the relegation zone.

I agree with some of that but not the Stranraer or Brechin bit tbh.
We can hardly crow about size of support and it's only the 2nd year up at this level. How long have Stranraer been up here? Brechin may be suffering for their championship season but they got up there. Something we need to strive for. I tip my hat to Stranraer tbh and what they continue to achieve.
Ultimately I am really just interested in what we do as a club.

Yes the board have had a massive part to play and set the agenda/direction of what we want to do. You only need to look at Berwick to see the result when there is a failure at board level.
But there is a lot of great work underneath that with the trust and the local schools, kids, etc. But for fans its tge 1st team and having the right Manager, Coaches and Players.

9 minutes ago, Gogs Grog said:

I agree with some of that but not the Stranraer or Brechin bit tbh.
We can hardly crow about size of support and it's only the 2nd year up at this level. How long have Stranraer been up here? Brechin may be suffering for their championship season but they got up there. Something we need to strive for. I tip my hat to Stranraer tbh and what they continue to achieve.
Ultimately I am really just interested in what we do as a club.

Yes the board have had a massive part to play and set the agenda/direction of what we want to do. You only need to look at Berwick to see the result when there is a failure at board level.
But there is a lot of great work underneath that with the trust and the local schools, kids, etc. But for fans its tge 1st team and having the right Manager, Coaches and Players.

I also respect what Brechin and Stranraer have achieved, they punch above their weights, and I wasn’t slagging them in any way, but the fact remains both clubs while in league 1 struggle to turn out more than 200 fans which is even less than the dark days of the Mo.

Its early days for us in league 1, and there are going to be a lot of up and downs but I’m fairly confident with the way the club is heading.

1 hour ago, Gogs Grog said:

Good article in the courier about what the community trust are doing.
Hopefully it makes a connection in town to the club and brings on the next generation of fans.Screenshot_20190808-120016_Twitter~2.jpeg

Aye, I read that Cogs.

Was talking to someone I kin who is down on his luck, wife left him, paid off from work, drink problem, usual stuff, he had nowhere to go for his Christmas dinner, but the club took him in, got his dinner, and helped him get back on track, now found a job and back on his feet.