Mighty Montrose FC 2019 / 2020

Let's not paper over the cracks. That was woeful today.  If that's all we've got to offer then it's going to be a long, hard season. The main are of concern is up front. We have absolutely no threat going forward.  We need an out and out striker. Hopefully CJ can come back and hit the ground running. Blair Lyons looked promising in the first half and Josh Skelly looked keen in the second but both are playing a lone striker role.  Why - because our big No. 10 is utterly useless. For someone who is 6"4', unless the ball is fired at him at about 5'8" he has no chance in the air. He couldn't trap a bag of cement.

Apart from that, we didn't have an attempt at goal in the first half and it was about 70 minutes before we had our first. 

Positives - big Lennox had a decent debut in goals and the return of Josh Skelly.

Oh, and #10 is positively gash. 

What a terrible terrible post!! It’s the second game of preseason and already clowns like yourself are slating the team!! These games are for players getting match sharpness etc back so results are irrelevant. So take your rubbish posts and jog on

What a terrible terrible post!! It’s the second game of preseason and already clowns like yourself are slating the team!! These games are for players getting match sharpness etc back so results are irrelevant. So take your rubbish posts and jog on
A did think it was a bit of an over the top post.2 games into pre season!lets see what the team is like in 4 weeks time when the real stuff starts.Am sure their will be 1 0r 2 more additions and we will be ready for Stranraer first game of the season.

Above are all fair comments but you have to admit Cove look more prepared at this stage for L2 than we do for L1 with only one more pre-season game to go.  After that it will be two very tough games against Premiership opposition in the Betfred Cup so more experimentation might not make for good viewing for Mo fans. We are certainly lacking up top again but SP had to give game time to McLean and Skelly whilst he can. On present showing McLean won't be starting a competitive game, he's got a lot to do. Did you notice he only started to get stuck in at Cove after he was brutally fouled twice and lost his rag momentarily when the Referee waived him away?

For the Arbroath and Betfred games I'd like to see SP starting with his preferred eleven and only using subs as and when as in normal league games. We have to get some fluency going through the side and supplement our failings up top by supporting from midfield. Definitely a back three of Dillon, Allan and Yano with Steeves and Cammy wing backs. Definitely Masson, Padge and Winker in the middle. Lyons and Ross Campbell up top. Yes, I know there might b e moans about Ross coming back in, but who else can play his game and he will help Lyons more than either McLean or Rennie. Shame to leave Webby out but he's good to bring off the bench in a variety of positions. Milne not in my team only because he's been playing far too deep and inefffective there. Put him more in a striking role or in the hole behind where he was more effective first time he was here.

Don't expect I'll be right but after watching the first two games that's what I'd do. 

As a final throw away line - how about playing Steeves centre forward?? Remember Brian Third in the 1970's? He was converted from a left back to a centre forward and got 33 goals in his first full season. Steevesy worth a punt there? Just a thought, even in a game like yesterday late on when we were playing catch up.

With hind sight, I think I might have been over reacting. Yes, we are only two games into pre-season but as Moforever said, so are Cove and they looked up for it where we looked very lack lustred. I think back to our 2 previous pre-seasons and can remember them being pretty uninspiring but the season unfolded to be two of our best in recent memory. Hopefully SP can add to the squad before the league campaign gets under way and a couple of loan signings to bolster, one of them being an out and out striker.

Went home cold and uninspired by a poor game on Saturday but, wanted to reflect before I shared my thoughts. Firstly the score and perhaps the performance are not they way to assess a pre-season match - not that both don’t matter to fans who have paid good money to travel and enter a ground. Pre-season is a chance to integrate new signings, evaluate the shape of the squad and to experiment. To that end it was a success with all new players getting decent playing time while the seasoned vets got game time into their legs. Lewis Milne was tried at just in front of the defence and while he had a couple of good passes we lacked guile further up without him. Noticeable that our good spell was when he was playing behind the frontline. Dillon strolled through the game and I like Webster, Ballantyne and Lyons. I’m not piling on McLean - strikers take the longest to develop, it is the most prized position and few teams in the SPFL have reliable ones. Where we were weaker than normal was play in and into the box. No point sugar coating it Aaron spilled the ball for the first one and we gave away a pen - both goals were very avoidable. Cove were up for it for the new manager and will survive in L2 this year. I’m in Edinburgh this week, so will miss Arbroath; I hope SP continues to give the full squad playing time, especially the new ones and tries things out. Good sides make intelligent use of their pre-season. We start proper on 3rd August. The priority is 8th.

Good post Stewart, pre-season is about experimenting and covering all bases position wise, for instance we will need a right back for the Stranraer game as Ballantyne is suspended, Allan, Webster and Masson come to mind. We also must remember that Saturday for some was their first game time (Dillon, Skelly, Campbell, Lennox) and it is about building up match fitness and integrating a team spirit. We can look forward to CJ coming back but still need cover in defence (a strong centre half) and upfront I would like to see McLean played directly through the middle and given a run there. He is a striker, not someone who is comfortable playing in from the right or left. I think Aaron Lennox is a good addition to the squad, he seems very vocal, is a big lad and should develop under Bullock's guidance. The Forfar and Brechin matches come at a good time as by this stage we should be competing and setting standards for the season. 

Not too worried at this stage, mid-table consolidation is target and we will see how the season develops.

Looking forward to visiting a seaside league team tonight, will make a nice change from all the big stadiums, clubs and crowds in our league.

Hopefully Montrose can give our guys a test, very doubtful to be fair after we have now dispatched of Hibs, Hearts and Celtic but atleast we will get some fitness.

I know it's only a pre season friendly but I imagine the Mo boys will be fired up for what will be their biggest game of the season.

Interesting evening ahead

Looking forward to visiting a seaside league team tonight, will make a nice change from all the big stadiums, clubs and crowds in our league.

Hopefully Montrose can give our guys a test, very doubtful to be fair after we have now dispatched of Hibs, Hearts and Celtic but atleast we will get some fitness.

I know it's only a pre season friendly but I imagine the Mo boys will be fired up for what will be their biggest game of the season.

So how did this work out for you?

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Don't sell your bucket and spade. 

With hind sight, I think I might have been over reacting. Yes, we are only two games into pre-season but as Moforever said, so are Cove and they looked up for it where we looked very lack lustred. I think back to our 2 previous pre-seasons and can remember them being pretty uninspiring but the season unfolded to be two of our best in recent memory. Hopefully SP can add to the squad before the league campaign gets under way and a couple of loan signings to bolster, one of them being an out and out striker.

Let’s not paper over the cracks......we were tremendous tonight!!!

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Oooft, does tonight's result mean we are better than Hibs, Hearts and Celtic after stopping the #smokiejuggernaut? At least you got some fitness though

4 minutes ago, endieinreekie said:

Oooft, does tonight's result mean we are better than Hibs, Hearts and Celtic after stopping the #smokiejuggernaut? At least you got some fitness though

Wait til the league starts then normal service will resume, we will put you back in your place 

42 minutes ago, Champs17/18coym said:

Let’s not paper over the cracks......we were tremendous tonight!!!

Glad to hear it. Unfortunately unable to make it tonight but had regular updates. Hopefully SP gave them the kick up their arses after the abject display on Saturday.
Hopefully he read my post and reacted to my critical views.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Well deserved win tonight,  never a friendly though with some of the challenges, 
2 very good full backs you guys have, 
very poor all over the park for us tonight, 

Good workout for both teams.Montrose deserved winners,nothing friendly about tonight's game tackles were flying which was great to see.Colin Hamilton pissed last night looked all over the place at times.

4 minutes ago, mo83 said:
32 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:
Well deserved win tonight,  never a friendly though with some of the challenges, 
2 very good full backs you guys have, 
very poor all over the park for us tonight, 

Good workout for both teams.Montrose deserved winners,nothing friendly about tonight's game tackles were flying which was great to see.Colin Hamilton pissed last night looked all over the place at times.

Hammy was horrible, didn’t deserve his goal,