Sign in to follow this  
Ludo*1

Your Manager, As A Player

On 02/06/2019 at 22:53, D'Jaffo said:

Add in backroom staff. Surely there’s a goalie coach at one of the clubs that was half decent.

We’ve got Derek Stillie I think.

Kenny Arthur is our goalkeeping coach.

On 04/06/2019 at 22:43, Swordfishtrombone said:

John Robertson is the best out of that lot. He would have had the same amount of caps if he had played in Caldwell's time if not more. An annoying wee shite who was deadly in the box and a better player than he is given credit for. Newcastle were a bombscare when he played for them just punts up the park which didn't suit him. 

The Newcastle side he played for wasn't especially long ball in nature, but it certainly wasn't very good.  They'd just sold Gascoigne, but spent some serious money that summer on the likes of Robertson and Dave Beasant.   They also still had Mirandinha, an exciting Brazilian international forward.

They struggled right from the off though.  Tony Cottee scored the first of a hatrick against them, 30 seconds into his Everton debut, and despite an unlikely win at Anfield, they kept losing.  Manager, Willie McFaul got sacked after a home hammering from Coventry, and Robertson was soon loaned back to Hearts as Newcastle cruised towards relegation.

Robertson did get unlucky in arriving at a club fast becoming dysfunctional - there was lots of accompanying boardroom unrest.  He also failed to perform though.  I don't think he scored any league goals at all in his spell there.  It's a shame he never proved himself at that level, because he was a very good striker.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Caldwell was a far better player than all these other no marks.
Stevie Crawford ffs. Get that patter in the sea.

I'm sure I heard someone say they thought he was one of the best finishers Scotland has had... might be wrong though? But could never personally say, never got to see him play or certainly can't remember it if I did.

He was a very good CF, probably better than any Scottish CF playing now

On 6/7/2019 at 20:43, Cerberus said:

Caldwell was a far better player than all these other no marks.
Stevie Crawford ffs. Get that patter in the sea.

Crawford was a decent player in his prime, done well for himself through his career. 

Absolutely gutted Caldwell didn't give it absolute beans to Trezeguet after one of the games that campaign. 

1372903436_2eff5d6410.jpg.c807007f26fca35404a44a417defa1cd.jpg

Would've been the most popular manager in the league if he'd spend the immediate aftermath of the game chasing him around the park giving some vicious GIRFUY signs. 

Absolutely gutted Caldwell didn't give it absolute beans to Trezeguet after one of the games that campaign. 

1372903436_2eff5d6410.jpg.c807007f26fca35404a44a417defa1cd.jpg

Would've been the most popular manager in the league if he'd spend the immediate aftermath of the game chasing him around the park giving some vicious GIRFUY signs. 

Could be wrong but think someone done something?

18 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Could be wrong but think someone done something?

Sticking your neck out with that bold assertion there Lichtie.

On 03/06/2019 at 20:45, craigkillie said:

That's not even a nutmeg, that's just passing it through the guy's legs.

download (1).jpeg

8 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

download (1).jpeg

A nutmeg involves collecting the ball on the other side, not just belting a 40 yard pass through someone's legs.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

A nutmeg involves collecting the ball on the other side, not just belting a 40 yard pass through someone's legs.

Where are you getting that definition from? I have literally never heard that in my entire life. Like probably most guys on here, I have played a lot of football and as soon as a ball is hit through someone's legs, "meg" is shouted, whether you got it on the other side or not. It always did my nut in when someone shouted it even if it went to an opponent though - yes, well done, m8?

No-one "belts a pass" through someone's legs - having the accuracy to hit the ball through a small gap is a skill, hence why it's given a name. 

I'm away to attempt to start my first poll.

Where are you getting that definition from? I have literally never heard that in my entire life. Like probably most guys on here, I have played a lot of football and as soon as a ball is hit through someone's legs, "meg" is shouted, whether you got it on the other side or not. It always did my nut in when someone shouted it even if it went to an opponent though - yes, well done, m8?
No-one "belts a pass" through someone's legs - having the accuracy to hit the ball through a small gap is a skill, hence why it's given a name. 
I'm away to attempt to start my first poll.

You are correct