Your Manager, As A Player

I'm only of a certain age so can't really remember John Robertson, Hopkin, Ian McCall and certainly not DC playing but Caldwell clearly the standout player surely.

One of Scotlands best centre halves while he was playing, over 50 caps and in the hall of fame, played at Celtic, in the EPL and Champions League. Wigan not sounding like the most glamorous of clubs probably working against him but they were a decent PL team at one time and sure he was captain of it. Even stepped into centre midfield in some big games.

Neilson over McPake too, McPake was pretty average that goal and him getting badly injured is why he's in the position he's in now. Neilson and that Hearts defence were really superb for a while. The Hibs teams McPake played in were gash.

Crawford was good, just makes me think of guys like Brewster and Dodds. I liked Goodwin too, similar to someone like Darien McKinnon.

26 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Wright

Neilson --- Caldwell --- McPake --- Campbell

McCall --- Goodwin --- Hopkin --- Johnston

Crawford --- Robertson

I've borrowed Tommy Wright from St Johnstone to have a go in goal but that's not a half bad team.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5cf4444a4d67593767

Wright
Neilson --- Caldwell --- McPake --- Campbell

McCall --- Goodwin --- Hopkin --- Johnston

Crawford --- Robertson
I've borrowed Tommy Wright from St Johnstone to have a go in goal but that's not a half bad team.

Add in backroom staff. Surely there’s a goalie coach at one of the clubs that was half decent.

We’ve got Derek Stillie I think.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Add in backroom staff. Surely there’s a goalie coach at one of the clubs that was half decent.

We’ve got Derek Stillie I think.

Good shout.

We have Bobby Geddes, Arbroath have Rab Douglas, United have Neil Alexander. 3 cracking keepers to add to the list.

Good shout.
We have Bobby Geddes, Arbroath have Rab Douglas, United have Neil Alexander. 3 cracking keepers to add to the list.

Jimmy Nicholl (Dundee) and Sandy Stewart (Ayr) would probably be better shouts as full backs as well.

15 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It’s still a bit... odd

In what way? Do you know many other managers that were goalkeepers in the Scottish leagues?

Stevie Crawford was awesome as a player for us. Jury’s still out as to his managerial skills though. He is building a youngish team with some fairly talented laddies, but needs a couple o auld heeds in the mix too. If he gets that balance right then we could have quite an exciting team on our hands. Gets it wrong and we could well do a falkirk  

If he is half as good as a manager as he was player for us then I’ll be a happy Par. 

Crawford probably my favourite player in 35ish years watching Pars. Greg Shields was a very decent fullback for us too. I find it hard to get even slightly upset at Craw taking 1 point from the last 30 (IIRC). 

Ian McCall was excellent at periods in his career, places higher than Crawford and Neilson for me.

Allan Johnston tops that in my opinion with Caldwell second, can't really separate Robertson and Hopkin in 3rd/4th.

McCall, Neilson, Crawford, McPake then Dick Campbell.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

On 6/2/2019 at 22:47, 1320Lichtie said:

I'm only of a certain age so can't really remember John Robertson, Hopkin, Ian McCall and certainly not DC playing but Caldwell clearly the standout player surely.

One of Scotlands best centre halves while he was playing, over 50 caps and in the hall of fame, played at Celtic, in the EPL and Champions League. Wigan not sounding like the most glamorous of clubs probably working against him but they were a decent PL team at one time and sure he was captain of it. Even stepped into centre midfield in some big games.

Neilson over McPake too, McPake was pretty average that goal and him getting badly injured is why he's in the position he's in now. Neilson and that Hearts defence were really superb for a while. The Hibs teams McPake played in were gash.

Crawford was good, just makes me think of guys like Brewster and Dodds. I liked Goodwin too, similar to someone like Darien McKinnon.

John Robertson is the best out of that lot. He would have had the same amount of caps if he had played in Caldwell's time if not more. An annoying wee shite who was deadly in the box and a better player than he is given credit for. Newcastle were a bombscare when he played for them just punts up the park which didn't suit him. McCall was maybe the most skilful out the lot but wasted his talent if he had a better attitude at the time he would have been capped.

Edited by Swordfishtrombone
Spelling

John Robertson is the best out of that lot. He would have had the same amount of caps if he had played in Caldwell's time if not more. An annoying wee white who was deadly in the box and a better player than he is given credit for. Newcastle were a bombscare when he played for them just punts up the park which didn't suit him. McCall was maybe the most skilful out the lot but wasted his talent if he had a better attitude at the time he would have been capped.

I'm sure I heard someone say they thought he was one of the best finishers Scotland has had... might be wrong though? But could never personally say, never got to see him play or certainly can't remember it if I did.