Your Manager, As A Player

On 04/06/2019 at 22:43, Swordfishtrombone said:

John Robertson is the best out of that lot. He would have had the same amount of caps if he had played in Caldwell's time if not more. An annoying wee shite who was deadly in the box and a better player than he is given credit for. Newcastle were a bombscare when he played for them just punts up the park which didn't suit him. 

The Newcastle side he played for wasn't especially long ball in nature, but it certainly wasn't very good.  They'd just sold Gascoigne, but spent some serious money that summer on the likes of Robertson and Dave Beasant.   They also still had Mirandinha, an exciting Brazilian international forward.

They struggled right from the off though.  Tony Cottee scored the first of a hatrick against them, 30 seconds into his Everton debut, and despite an unlikely win at Anfield, they kept losing.  Manager, Willie McFaul got sacked after a home hammering from Coventry, and Robertson was soon loaned back to Hearts as Newcastle cruised towards relegation.

Robertson did get unlucky in arriving at a club fast becoming dysfunctional - there was lots of accompanying boardroom unrest.  He also failed to perform though.  I don't think he scored any league goals at all in his spell there.  It's a shame he never proved himself at that level, because he was a very good striker.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I'm sure I heard someone say they thought he was one of the best finishers Scotland has had... might be wrong though? But could never personally say, never got to see him play or certainly can't remember it if I did.

He was a very good CF, probably better than any Scottish CF playing now

On 6/7/2019 at 20:43, Cerberus said:

Caldwell was a far better player than all these other no marks.
Stevie Crawford ffs. Get that patter in the sea.

Crawford was a decent player in his prime, done well for himself through his career. 

Absolutely gutted Caldwell didn't give it absolute beans to Trezeguet after one of the games that campaign. 

1372903436_2eff5d6410.jpg.c807007f26fca35404a44a417defa1cd.jpg

Would've been the most popular manager in the league if he'd spend the immediate aftermath of the game chasing him around the park giving some vicious GIRFUY signs. 

Absolutely gutted Caldwell didn't give it absolute beans to Trezeguet after one of the games that campaign. 

1372903436_2eff5d6410.jpg.c807007f26fca35404a44a417defa1cd.jpg

Would've been the most popular manager in the league if he'd spend the immediate aftermath of the game chasing him around the park giving some vicious GIRFUY signs. 

Could be wrong but think someone done something?

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

A nutmeg involves collecting the ball on the other side, not just belting a 40 yard pass through someone's legs.

Where are you getting that definition from? I have literally never heard that in my entire life. Like probably most guys on here, I have played a lot of football and as soon as a ball is hit through someone's legs, "meg" is shouted, whether you got it on the other side or not. It always did my nut in when someone shouted it even if it went to an opponent though - yes, well done, m8?

No-one "belts a pass" through someone's legs - having the accuracy to hit the ball through a small gap is a skill, hence why it's given a name. 

I'm away to attempt to start my first poll.

Where are you getting that definition from? I have literally never heard that in my entire life. Like probably most guys on here, I have played a lot of football and as soon as a ball is hit through someone's legs, "meg" is shouted, whether you got it on the other side or not. It always did my nut in when someone shouted it even if it went to an opponent though - yes, well done, m8?
No-one "belts a pass" through someone's legs - having the accuracy to hit the ball through a small gap is a skill, hence why it's given a name. 
I'm away to attempt to start my first poll.

You are correct

• 1 year later...

Bumping this through boredom. This was my list this time last year:

1. John Robertson
2. Allan Johnston
3. David Hopkin
4. Gary Caldwell
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. Ian McCall
8. James McPake
9. Jim Goodwin
10. Dick Campbell

Reckon this year it'd be:

1. John Robertson
2. Peter Grant
3. Allan Johnston
4. David Hopkin
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. James McPake
8. Mark Kerr
9. Dick Campbell
10. John McGlynn

We've gained some shite this year in Kerr & McGlynn having lost decent players in Caldwell & McCall. Grant is a quality addition though.

Guest Axle Grease
On 07/06/2019 at 20:43, Cerberus said:

Get that patter in the sea.

You did actually see by using that back "in the sea" patter meant your own patter is extremely uninspiring? 

1. John Robertson
2. Allan Johnston
3. David Hopkin
4. Gary Caldwell
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. Ian McCall
8. James McPake
9. Jim Goodwin
10. Dick Campbell
1. John Robertson
2. Peter Grant
3. Allan Johnston
4. David Hopkin
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. James McPake
8. Mark Kerr
9. Dick Campbell
10. John McGlynn

We've gained some shite this year in Kerr & McGlynn having lost decent players in Caldwell & McCall. Grant is a quality addition though.

I’d maybe swap Hopkin and Johnston round and also McPake and Kerr round but apart from this it’s pretty accurate.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

1. John Robertson
2. Allan Johnston
3. David Hopkin
4. Gary Caldwell
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. Ian McCall
8. James McPake
9. Jim Goodwin
10. Dick Campbell

1. John Robertson
2. Peter Grant
3. Allan Johnston
4. David Hopkin
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. James McPake
8. Mark Kerr
9. Dick Campbell
10. John McGlynn

The most remarkable thing from that list is how little change we've actually had in 12 months. Jim Goodwin departed Alloa about 10 mins after last year's thread too. We still have 7 of the same managers (partly of course because of Robbie Neilson's bizarre jump this week - I have no earthly idea what level Daniel Stendel ever played!), and it would be 8 if last year's poll had been held a week later. Grant, McGlynn and Kerr in for Goodwin, Caldwell, and McCall.

In line with my last year's comments I'd slot them in as follows:

1. John Robertson
2. Peter Grant
3. Allan Johnston
4. David Hopkin
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. Mark Kerr
8. James McPake
9. Dick Campbell
10. John McGlynn

Not necessarily that easy.  Stevie Crawford has the most caps of any of them with 25, followed by Johnston 18, Robertson 16, Hopkin 7, Grant 2, Neilson and McPake 1 (for Northern Ireland in McPake's case, he couldn't get in the Scotland set up - let's not pretend he always considered himself Irish). 7 internationals is a pretty good return from 10 managers at this level. Mark Kerr got a B cap once.

I wasn't sure about Grant at all. I never really rated him as a player and he did only get the 2 caps. That said he didn't spend 15 years at Celtic for no reason. He also played three seasons in England at the end of his career to be fair. So with some reluctance I slotted him in at 2. Johnston was a much better footballer though.

Personally I think Mark Kerr did more than James McPake in his career. He played a lot more games and a lot more of them at the top level even if he didn't have an Irish granny!

McGlynn's playing career consisted of 3 seasons not being an automatic pick for Berwick Rangers. I think we can safely say he's 10th.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

McGlynn's playing career consisted of 3 seasons not being an automatic pick for Berwick Rangers. I think we can safely say he's 10th.

Billy Brown said he was the best midfielder he played with or some other platitude when he drew the 50/50 last season. I still think it’s safe to leave him in 10th.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

Billy Brown said he was the best midfielder he played with or some other platitude when he drew the 50/50 last season. I still think it’s safe to leave him in 10th.

Did he? Well, Billy Brown has "seen hings and done hings" so I may have to reconsider and put him in the top five. 🤔