Your Manager, As A Player

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

John Robertson by far and away, the poachin wee barstard, they rest are also rans. 

The top 5 would stroll in to nearly every team in the country if they were players in their peak now.

On 23/06/2020 at 18:11, Ludo*1 said:

Bumping this through boredom. This was my list this time last year:

1. John Robertson
2. Allan Johnston
3. David Hopkin
4. Gary Caldwell
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. Ian McCall
8. James McPake
9. Jim Goodwin
10. Dick Campbell

Reckon this year it'd be:

1. John Robertson
2. Peter Grant
3. Allan Johnston
4. David Hopkin
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. James McPake
8. Mark Kerr
9. Dick Campbell
10. John McGlynn

We've gained some shite this year in Kerr & McGlynn having lost decent players in Caldwell & McCall. Grant is a quality addition though.

If you get bored enough you could look at the assistants? We have Greg Shields -  Rangers (played against Ajax in Champions League in one of his first games), Pars, Charlton, Killie. Jason Dair - scored Raith's first European goal. 

Crawford was one of the very best Pars players I've ever seen but have no complaints about him being 5th in the list. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If you get bored enough you could look at the assistants? We have Greg Shields -  Rangers (played against Ajax in Champions League in one of his first games), Pars, Charlton, Killie. Jason Dair - scored Raith's first European goal. 

Crawford was one of the very best Pars players I've ever seen but have no complaints about him being 5th in the list. 

I would have if this didn't coincide with Jimmy Nicholl (Ex-Man United full back) being punted and Dave Mackay (Ex-St Johnstone player) replacing him meaning we'd sink right down the rankings!

I would have if this didn't coincide with Jimmy Nicholl (Ex-Man United full back) being punted and Dave Mackay (Ex-St Johnstone player) replacing him meaning we'd sink right down the rankings!

You really wouldn’t.

From what I can see ourselves and Morton have assistants that never played the game. Scott Kellacher I don’t think had a career to note but I think he was kicking about the highland league for a bit. Paddy Connolly and Ian Campbell never made it into the top flight. Paul Smith had a decent lower league career as well but played a few games for Hearts in the top flight.

That leaves a top 3 of Greg Shields, Dave Mackay and Sandy Clark. Mackay is probably 3rd in that list with Clark taking top spot.

This could change depending on who Hearts go on to appoint.

Edit: Total balls up with Connolly. Didn’t realise he started at Dundee United.

If other people want to make a list from the assistants though, they can crack on. Here's the list:

Paddy Connolly
Ian Campbell
Michael McArdle
Dave Mackay (No-one technically since Nicholl left today)
Greg Shields
Anton McElhone
Andy Kirk (No-one technically but he's the highest ranking member of staff that's not manager)
Scott Kellacher
Paul Currie
Sandy Clark

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

If other people want to make a list from the assistants though, they can crack on. Here's the list:

Paddy Connolly
Ian Campbell
Michael McArdle
Greg Shields
Anton McElhone
Andy Kirk (No-one technically but he's the highest ranking member of staff that's not manager)
Scott Kellacher
Paul Currie
Sandy Clark

Yay, one we win! 

By an absolute mile to be honest.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Paddy Connolly
Ian Campbell
Michael McArdle
Greg Shields
Anton McElhone
Scott Kellacher
Paul Currie
Sandy Clark

You’re missing Paul Smith from Raith, with a pretty decent career.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

You’re missing Paul Smith from Raith, with a pretty decent career.

I put him down as Paul Currie for some inexplicable reason.

• 6 months later...
On 02/06/2019 at 14:08, Ludo*1 said:

I've done this sort of thread a few times over the years, the most recent being:

So here goes, Championship edition:

1. John Robertson
2. Allan Johnston
3. David Hopkin
4. Gary Caldwell
5. Stevie Crawford
6. Robbie Neilson
7. Ian McCall
8. James McPake
9. Jim Goodwin
10. Dick Campbell

James McPake

Mark Kerr

Dick Campbell

Robbie Neilson

Allan Johnston 

Stevie Crawford

Anton McElhone (Placeholder as I can't remember what the fitness coach down Morton way is called and on mobile) - turns out I was right.

John Robertson

Peter Grant

John McGlynn

That's the managers of this league 18 month on in the order that I remembered them.

Some amount of utter dross.

Robertson, Johnston & Grant trying valiantly to keep the standard reasonable.

Edited by Ludo*1
Anton McElhone

36 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Crawford was an excellent player and I refuse to hear this attempt to rewrite history to make out that he wasn't.

And proving the point that a good former player doesn’t (automatically) a good manager make. It’s more interesting to rank the managers based upon performance and contrast versus playing skills.