pub signs

Not to be in Birkhill, tbh. 
Not a fan of Whip mate, naw. Very rarely venture there before hospo anymore. Too many jakeys. 

there is a few people in pub who think they are better than you but the guys i drink with are good company. only a mile from my house so handy.

15 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

The Snowdrop in Lewes (a particularly fine pub, as it happens) - nothing to do with poncy little spring flowers as you might expect:

image.png.bf0401a661b24f5ab3d120bc0686279e.png

I don’t think I’m easily offended or , in any way, a snowflake (pardon the pun)....but is that sign and the pub name itself not in pretty poor taste ?  Or has it become accepted as fitting , or at least not unacceptable , due to the passage of time since the tragedy in question ?

Would the residents of Aberfan object to a pub called The Landslide opening up there ?.......possibly with a cartoonesque sign depicting a child’s hand reaching out from a huge pile of coal ? ....... if it’s still deemed to be “too soon” for that , how much longer until it becomes acceptable ?

1 hour ago, A96 said:

I don’t think I’m easily offended or , in any way, a snowflake (pardon the pun)....but is that sign and the pub name itself not in pretty poor taste ?  Or has it become accepted as fitting , or at least not unacceptable , due to the passage of time since the tragedy in question ?

Would the residents of Aberfan object to a pub called The Landslide opening up there ?.......possibly with a cartoonesque sign depicting a child’s hand reaching out from a huge pile of coal ? ....... if it’s still deemed to be “too soon” for that , how much longer until it becomes acceptable ?

GPWM but in this specific instance the pub is virtually a memorial to the victims as it's built on the site of the old cottages, and it's had the same name since it was first opened having been built two or three years after the event; for many years a proportion of the takings went in to a benevolent fund for the families who were affected.

As to the wider point, I guess it's generally considered "too soon" all the time there are folk alive who were directly impacted by an event; wartime things seem to be a different kettle of fish, mind, there are any number of "Balaklava" pubs which were named after some fairly grim goings on in the Crimea and I'm guessing they were all given the name pretty much in the immediate aftermath...

25 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

GPWM but in this specific instance the pub is virtually a memorial to the victims as it's built on the site of the old cottages, and it's had the same name since it was first opened having been built two or three years after the event; for many years a proportion of the takings went in to a benevolent fund for the families who were affected.

As to the wider point, I guess it's generally considered "too soon" all the time there are folk alive who were directly impacted by an event; wartime things seem to be a different kettle of fish, mind, there are any number of "Balaklava" pubs which were named after some fairly grim goings on in the Crimea and I'm guessing they were all given the name pretty much in the immediate aftermath...

Interesting. I guess most folk back then had more pressing matters to concern them  (like where their next meal was coming from and hoping that the landowners/employers wouldn’t throw them out of their homes) rather than getting upset at something that might hurt their feelings.

• 11 months later...

Noticed a real spate of pubs getting painted during this lockdown. One near me is quite busy with Jambos on a Jambo matchday. The folk who run it and work there are lovely, but very much Celtic-minded. They have painted their previously muted and stylish pub in what can only be described as very Celticy emerald and gold. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Noticed a real spate of pubs getting painted during this lockdown. One near me is quite busy with Jambos on a Jambo matchday. The folk who run it and work there are lovely, but very much Celtic-minded. They have painted their previously muted and stylish pub in what can only be described as very Celticy emerald and gold. 

They may be lovely but that will be under new ownership in 6 months...

..especially as Celtic won't be visiting Tynecastle on league business... 

On 16/06/2019 at 21:37, Herman Hessian said:

and this is a very sensible thing indeed, outside The Partridge near goodwood racecourse - with the direction and distances to the other local pubs :thumsup2

image.png.5202f37bf5ad3ba5dbb64db066ab460a.png

Magnificent. Used to live in that part of the world ~30 years ago. Fox Goes Free was our go-to for a good fun fSaturday afternoon and I had a wee thing (fnarr) with the barmaid at The Earl of March for a wee while. No’ the brightest but legs that went on for miles.

Bunch of Tories right enough. Probably all voted Leave too. Spitfires over Goodwood  Aerodrome you see, wat? 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

They may be lovely but that will be under new ownership in 6 months...

..especially as Celtic won't be visiting Tynecastle on league business... 

It’s quite a shift in image. From classy neighbourhood gastro-pub to looking like the sort of place they’ll pass round a collection bucket for “the boys”.

27 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Been in there a few times. Used to work around Holborn, Chancery Lane area. Not short of choices.

Absolutely.. Cittie of York is another cracker.

391709FF-E653-46C5-83D7-0EE9182E698C.jpeg