pub signs

what ya got then - good, bad, inappropriate, weird - whatever...

always liked this one - outwardly very normal, nice even - and a great pub -  but there's something just not quite right about it, which sums up the village it's in...

image.png.1eff103906b07996231da3c4063be977.png

When I was an apprentice we used to get sent down to BT's training college in Stone, just outside Stoke.  The pub nearest was called The Labour in Vain and the sign above the door was a woman trying to scrub a little black boy white. 

Edit: http://home.bt.com/news/odd-news/row-erupts-over-village-pubs-racist-labour-in-vain-name-and-sign-11363959689913

Edited by KnightswoodBear

As pubs close down the buildings get used for something else. To date I've headed toward what looks like a pub sign from a distance to be confronted with a funeral parlour, a coffee shop and a launderette, as well as many shut pubs. The second one is in Airdrie, lovely flats above, near to all amenities. £300.00pcm. Bargain!

images (7).jpeg

images (8).jpeg

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

The Snowdrop in Lewes (a particularly fine pub, as it happens) - nothing to do with poncy little spring flowers as you might expect:

image.png.bf0401a661b24f5ab3d120bc0686279e.png

The deadliest avalanche in British history took place, not in the mountains of Scotland or Wales as you may expect, but in 1836 in the town of Lewes, Sussex, just a few miles from the south coast of England.

During the winter of 1836/7 Britain suffered some of its worst weather ever recorded, with freezing temperatures, heavy snow and gale force winds.

On Christmas Eve 1836 a huge storm blew up over southern England. Heavy snowfall and gale force winds combined to produce blizzards and massive snow drifts.

The town of Lewes is situated on the River Ouse, surrounded by the hills of the South Downs. By Christmas night 1836 the north-easterly blizzard had built up a deep layer of snow on the sheer edge of one of these hills, Cliffe Hill. The great overhanging mass of snow was reportedly around 20 feet deep.

Boulder Row, a row of seven workers’ cottages on South Street, stood at the foot of Cliffe Hill. These houses were ‘poor houses’ and were owned by South Malling Parish.

It soon became obvious to passers-by that the cottages were in danger from this huge overhang of snow. They alerted the residents and advised them to move out until the snow had melted. The residents refused, even when on 26th December, a large fall of snow from the clifftop fell onto a nearby timber yard, destroying it and sweeping it into the River Ouse.

The following day at 10.15am the inevitable happened; the huge weight of snow fell, swamping the cottages of Boulder Row below.

How many people were in the cottages at the time is unknown, but contemporary reports indicate that fifteen people were inside when the avalanche struck.

On 02/06/2019 at 08:20, Sergeant Wilson said:

As pubs close down the buildings get used for something else. To date I've headed toward what looks like a pub sign from a distance to be confronted with a funeral parlour, a coffee shop and a launderette, as well as many shut pubs. The second one is in Airdrie, lovely flats above, near to all amenities. £300.00pcm. Bargain!

images (7).jpeg

images (8).jpeg

Look a bit too small to me.

The whip would be a truly great pub if the folk that drunk in there, never.

not a fan dele? i used to drink in the whip years ago. few of the regulars are sound imo. definitely not the same pub as before but at least it’s open

Is that the one in Lochee?   If it is then there was a very strong smell of bleach in the place, was like someone was just murdered.
I'm fairly sure too that it was at that location a dog wandered in and took a play against the pool table.

right across from lochee united’s park