Scotland vs England - June 9th, 5pm

Because most players can't kick a ball more than 25 yards.  The crossing was a joke.
Yes, the standard was shite, especially considering that England are one of the favourites. 
So your definition of standards is how far a player can kick a ball?

The standard was not that poor at all, and I'm not sure what you're watching if you think it was.

It's a different game from the men's game, in terms of physicality especially. But the quality is reasonable, and at times very good (some of the counter attacks from England were outstanding).

From the Hope Solo thread.
Binos - "The US women's team were beaten 5-2 by fc Dallas (boys) 14 year olds".
Dee Man - "The Australian women's team (ranked 5th in the world) got beat 7-0 by Newcastle Jets under-16s."
That supports my earlier comments that the standard was no better than schoolboy level. I was thinking international schoolboy level but those comments make me think again.

Which men’s team do you watch in Scotland? I watch Raith Rovers and the standard of play in League One in Scotland is generally quite poor. Admittedly even at that level since tackling was curtailed passing has improved, but it’s still pretty painful to watch. Long balls, all the outfield players congregating in one small area in the centre of the pitch waiting on a big hoof from a goalkeeper so they can win the ball. Caveman football. It’s competitive but it’s not a great spectacle. How was the Scottish men’s perfomance against as a supposed lesser team last night?

The likes of Rovers may well thrash the Scottish women’s team, given they are physically stronger (Nathan Flanagan aside) but that’s sort of besides the point. They would still be awful to watch while doing so.

Have to say I was disappointed by the standard – but perhaps I'm guilty of comparing it to the men's game – certainly in terms of the way we sat off  in the first half leaving Cuthbert isolated. The punts up to her in the first half were painful. Defending and passing in the first 45 were grim and could have cost us more. Surprised too that when we did improve and get the equaliser we seemed to show little ambition to level. We were passing the ball across the back four in added time. Was that down to exhaustion?

On the plus side, I thought Emslie and Cuthbert were very good when they got the ball. Little excellent second half. Alexander had a great game in goal.

In the end it's the typical gutsy Scotland story when the truth is that England should have been five up by half time. The second half,  I hope, gives the team a bit of belief that they can be more ambitious against Japan, where we have to take at least a point.

Edited by Mr Heliums

The standard will not have been poor for women’s football - naturally it’s the World Cup so there will be the best players on show. The actual entertainment is close to non-existent for me. Too slow and lacks contact. I love Scottish football because it’s not the sanitised product you see in the EPL etc and the women’s game is something different again - different doesn’t mean worse, of course, but it’s not for me. Glad people can enjoy it but I do feel it gets too much airtime - the marketing outweighs the product imo. Its still a sport in its relative infancy as such so will absolutely evolve over time. 

Twhat was a lot less pedestrian than most female football that I've watched before so compared to many I was pleasantly surprised with the standard.  

The only thing I was lost by was nothing extra seemed to be getting chucked in at the end with the game ending on a slow passing move in the middle of nowhere. 

Didn't disgrace themselves and scored a good goal. 

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

I think the attendances in League One and League Two in Scotland back my argument.

That’s one of the stupidest posts going. What are the respective attendances at women’s games? Even top flights games, not big show piece finals etc that are about £5 to get in to. Even that game today was about 1/4 full. I didn’t want to come on and slag the women’s game, it doesn’t deserve that, but when you get daft posts like yours comparisons have to be drawn. 

Have to say I was disappointed by the standard – but perhaps I'm guilty of comparing it to the men's game – certainly in terms of the way we sat off  in the first half leaving Cuthbert isolated. The punts up to her in the first half were painful. Defending and passing in the first 45 were grim and could have cost us more. Surprised too that when we did improve and get the equaliser we seemed to show little ambition to level. We were passing the ball across the back four in added time. Was that down to exhaustion?
On the plus side, I thought Emslie and Cuthbert were very good when they got the ball. Little excellent second half. Alexander had a great game in goal.
In the end it's the typical gutsy Scotland story when the truth is that England should have been five up by half time. The second half,  I hope, gives the team a bit of belief that they can be more ambitious against Japan, where we have to take at least a point.

At the risk of comparing it to the men's game (we shouldn't)....I watched the men's team hoof it aimlessly toward Kenny Miller running the channels on his own for what must have been nearly a decade, occasionally shitfesting a vaguely passable result. Painful viewing. And so were the tactics first half today - thankfully they changed it up second half and got players closer to Cuthbert.

Definitely think we were a bit deer in the headlights first half, and no we weren't a great watch, but the second half was much improved. We definitely need to be more ambitious against Japan.

As for England being one if the favourites for the trophy...where have you heard that one before?...

15 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

The standard will not have been poor for women’s football - naturally it’s the World Cup so there will be the best players on show. The actual entertainment is close to non-existent for me. Too slow and lacks contact. I love Scottish football because it’s not the sanitised product you see in the EPL etc and the women’s game is something different again - different doesn’t mean worse, of course, but it’s not for me. Glad people can enjoy it but I do feel it gets too much airtime - the marketing outweighs the product imo. Its still a sport in its relative infancy as such so will absolutely evolve over time. 

Yaaas snap him snap him yaaasas.

everything that’s wrong with Scottish football

If you take the emotion out of watching your team at Scottish lower league level, it's pretty garbage (every thread for a game covered by BBC Alba has become a thesaurus for the word sh*te whenever any neutrals log on).  It's the emotional gambling that has you going back for more, not the quality.  Most just can't see it.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Yaaas snap him snap him yaaasas.

everything that’s wrong with Scottish football

If you’d rather watch Man City knock it about in their own half that’s your choice. Personally I like to watch aggressive football that sees the ball moved forward quickly. Have you tried watching walking football? Lots of nice touches and passing.

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

If you take the emotion out of watching your team at Scottish lower league level, it's pretty garbage (every thread for a game covered by BBC Alba has become a thesaurus for the word sh*te whenever any neutrals log on).  It's the emotional gambling that has you going back for more, not the quality.  Most just can't see it.

No normal functioning person would state that the quality in Scottish lower leagues, for a bunch of part time jobbers, is anything but substandard - with flashes of brilliance. That doesn’t mean it can’t be entertaining. I love entertainment at junior games (sic) but that doesn’t mean there’s much quality. 

Each to their own though and this isn’t really relevant to today’s game so don’t want to detract from it.