Scotland vs England - June 9th, 5pm

With regards to goals conceded, it has to be remembered that the goal frames themselves are of standard regulation size, and of course in comparison to your typical man mountain of a professional male Goalkeeper these days, the female professionals are no where near the same size.  In fact I watched the last WWC four years ago and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll hold my hands up and admit that I was guilty of thinking that female Goalkeepers in general were just shite! 

It wasn't until this fact was pointed out to me that I realised that no matter how good a shot stopper you are, if someone is sticking it in the far-side top bin and you're 5ft 7 there's not a chance in hell you're reaching it. Unless of course you're Hope Solo, 6ft+ and incidentally world No1 female Goalkeeper.

Guest Moomintroll

If we can sneak something from this then great, the Japan game has to be our must win though in terms of getting through. *Cue the frustrating draw with Argentina*

9 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

If we can sneak something from this then great, the Japan game has to be our must win though in terms of getting through. *Cue the frustrating draw with Argentina*

A draw with Japan and victory over Argentina would surely be enough with 4 out of 6 teams in 3rd place qualifying???

54 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

A draw with Japan and victory over Argentina would surely be enough with 4 out of 6 teams in 3rd place qualifying???

4 points would easily see us in the last 16.

Argentina is the must win game though not the Japan game.  We can draw or lose to Japan and still go through.  I suspect two narrow defeats and a win over Argentina might see us through

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

4 points would easily see us in the last 16.

Argentina is the must win game though not the Japan game.  We can draw or lose to Japan and still go through.  I suspect two narrow defeats and a win over Argentina might see us through

We've had 24 team formats with the four best third-placed teams going through at the WWC 15, Euro 16 and WC 86, 90 and 94.

A win and a draw has always been enough for the third place team to get through - though Norway went out with 4 points in 94, because everyone in the group got 4 points and they were bottom. 

Only rarely is one win is enough to get through. It would have been enough for Hungary if it had been 3 points for a win in 86. In 90 it wasn't enough for us and Austria, or for Russia in 94, or for Turkey and Albania in 16, or Thailand in 15. It was enough for Northern Ireland in 16 and Switzerland in 15.

At 3 of the 5, goal difference decided 4th and 5th positions. With some of the 4th placed teams being relatively weak and some of the top teams being capable of burying third-placed teams, it could come down to goal difference again. So even if we lose to England, every goal matters.

Whatever happens, it's odds-on we'll be waiting until nearly 10pm on the Thursday, the last day of group games, to find out if we've got a game on the Saturday or if we're coming home.

At Mexico 86  we'd have managed it,  if Steve Nicol didn't miss an open net against Uruguay [emoji20]
True, and Uruguay and Bulgaria went through with only two draws. But that's a lot less likely to be enough since 3 points for a win.

22 hours ago, SaintDougie said:

With regards to goals conceded, it has to be remembered that the goal frames themselves are of standard regulation size, and of course in comparison to your typical man mountain of a professional male Goalkeeper these days, the female professionals are no where near the same size.  In fact I watched the last WWC four years ago and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll hold my hands up and admit that I was guilty of thinking that female Goalkeepers in general were just shite! 

It wasn't until this fact was pointed out to me that I realised that no matter how good a shot stopper you are, if someone is sticking it in the far-side top bin and you're 5ft 7 there's not a chance in hell you're reaching it. Unless of course you're Hope Solo, 6ft+ and incidentally world No1 female Goalkeeper.

Will be a couple of years out of date now, but I remember reading that the average height of a Premier League keeper was 6'2". It's obviously not just a case of the tallest keepers being the best, but you do have monsters like De Gea, Buffon (both 6'4") and Courtois (6'6") as some of the top shot-stoppers in recent years.

I’ll definitely give this a watch and see if I can get my eldest daughter interested. She plays football but she’s not really into watching it.

As long as we don’t get pumped 6-0, like the last Euros game against England, then we’ll at least have improved.

Hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves.

Last time I watched the Scotland ladies team was at the Euros on TV 2 years ago against England. Only watched first 30 minutes as we were dreadful. Hopefully we have improved a bit. I'll give it another 30 minutes tomorrow.