Scotland vs England - June 9th, 5pm

The countdown is on to Scotland’s opening group game.

We’ve ended the warm up games on a high after beating Jamaica 3-2 in front of a record crowd at Hampden.

England, despite dominating possession, were a bit pish in the final third and ended up losing 1-0 at home to New Zealand.

That has to give the Scotland squad a huge confidence boost and get them thinking that we can beat them though it’ll be a different side they face next week after Phil Neville made 10 changes for the New Zealand game.

How do folk see this one going and how long do we reckon it’ll take Jonathan Pearce to mention 1966 in his commentary?

Edited by The Naitch

Nothing would please me more than seeing Gary Neville pumped out his job but England are a class act but if they think it will be as easy as the last time we played then they are in for a shock.

Anyone from here going? 

Guest Bob Mahelp

I watched the BBC Scotland programme on the girl's qualifying campaign, and one of the things that struck me is how easily we concede goals. I think we only kept one clean sheet in 8 games in qualifying.

We seem to have some excellent strikers and attacking midfield players, but some quite poor defenders. 

I hope that doesn't come back to bite us, but it's hard to see us keeping quality sides like England and Japan out. 

4 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Nothing would please me more than seeing Gary Neville pumped out his job but England are a class act but if they think it will be as easy as the last time we played then they are in for a shock.

Anyone from here going? 

It's the other just as annoying one, Phil.

I watched the BBC Scotland programme on the girl's qualifying campaign, and one of the things that struck me is how easily we concede goals. I think we only kept one clean sheet in 8 games in qualifying.
We seem to have some excellent strikers and attacking midfield players, but some quite poor defenders. 
I hope that doesn't come back to bite us, but it's hard to see us keeping quality sides like England and Japan out. 
The odd thing is that we have two top-level centre halves playing at big clubs, but we're still soft at the back. Both of them are prone to really bad mistakes. I don't know if it's the chemistry or whatever but they just don't inspire confidence in a Scotland shirt. I've been trying to watch them closer and it doesn't seem to be a positional or awareness thing, they just make too many cheap mistakes.

That said, we kept a clean sheet against Brazil and limited USA to one, so when they eliminate the mistakes they're tough to beat.

Anyone from here going? 

I've got tickets and was planning on going, but I don't think I'll be able to afford it. My wife's ex-employer was a b*****d to her and we've been waiting since February on an Employment Tribunal decision. If there's any justice, we'll get a healthy payout but it looks like it's not going to come soon enough. All four of us are going for the games in Rennes and Paris, I'm a bit gutted Nice is going to be too much though.

We missed the Euros because of this shit, it's been going on for three years. To anyone getting discriminated against, harassed and victimised at work I'd say run as fast as you can and forget about employment law, even if you win you still lose.

Think I maybe over-shared there...

I won't quote you Gordon incase you want to delete or redact but very best of luck, often companies drag their heels hoping people just get fed up. Hope you enjoy the other 2 games!

England around 1.20 for this match with most bookies (83% implied chance) and 4th favourites overall, so a big ask for us. They have plenty quality with the bulk of their squad coming from the WSL and top Euro clubs, but you get the feeling that Neville is a bit of diddy. Hopefully Kerr can out-fox him.

Can't say I've watched a huge amount of our women's team, but I follow a few stats accounts on Twitter and they seem pretty hot on some of our players down South, particularly in the forward areas.

Got the documentary recorded and will give it a watch this week.

3 hours ago, Adam101 said:

I won't quote you Gordon incase you want to delete or redact but very best of luck, often companies drag their heels hoping people just get fed up. Hope you enjoy the other 2 games!

Cheers. It's actually a local authority and yep, dragging it out as long as possible is exactly what they tried to do. They agreed to judicial arbitration then made no offer when they got there, and they put up 6 days' of witnesses, most of whom had nothing to say. No skin off their nose if their strategy doesn't work, it's the people of that area who'll pay instead.

Anyway, looking forward to the games in Rennes and Paris. If anyone has recommendations for a Eurocamp-style place near Paris please let me know.

I’m heading out to Nice for this one. Honestly can’t wait. It’s going to be such a blast! I loved the style of play v Jamaica, and think we’ve got a great chance. If not, it’s Scotland in an international tournament. Anyone got any estimated numbers of those travelling? I couldn’t even guess, anywhere between 100 and 2000...? No clue.

Heading across to this with the family. Can’t wait. 

Realistically I think we will probably lose 2-0 on Sunday but you never know.  I don’t think the English loss to New Zealand will help us. Might wake them up a bit and help them avoid complacency. That said, we are a totally different prospect to the team who lost 6-0 at the Euros. I think Shelley Kerr places more emphasis on attacking than Anna Signuel did  . A fit Kim Little and the inclusion of Erin Cuthbert also changes things. Cuthbert creates a spark in the team.  We have good options in midfield and up front but the defence is definitely the weakest part of the team. Beattie and Corsie are strong but prone to making the odd error. Doherty and Smith on the left and right are hard working but against the quality England have they may struggle. Defend well, ride our luck and sneak a goal is the dream scenario. 

We were at the Euros in Netherlands and the Scotland support  was in the hundreds rather than the thousands, but suspect there may be more for this.  Regardless, it’s an amazing achievement to qualify as group winners and as Russel says it’ll be a blast.  Roll on Sunday! 

17 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Hope I’m wrong but can’t see anything but a comfortable England win unfortunately. Then again we have beaten Brazil in the warm up games......so you never know

Think it's a bit like a Scotland-England men's game from the 1970s - they should beat us, but they know we've got the players to beat them - because they're at the same clubs.