The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Their points deduction is from the start of next season.

Thought it was this season but they’re currently appealing. Sure that’s what one of the commentators said earlier.

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Thought it was this season but they’re currently appealing. Sure that’s what one of the commentators said earlier.

That's the case for Wigan because they have already committed the offence, but Wednesday are still under investigation so it won't be until next season.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's the case for Wigan because they have already committed the offence, but Wednesday are still under investigation so it won't be until next season.

Shows what I get for only half paying attention. Saw a goal update involving Wednesday and must have assumed he was talking about them.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not sure about that, Derby also under investigation and the season doesn't officially end tonight.

The actual end of the season from an administrative standpoint is the EFL annual general meeting, which is due to be held in the middle of August.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53484188

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
36 minutes ago, Raven said:
Still some potential for Sheffield Wednesday to steal one of the relegation places.

This a whoosh?

Not entirely a whoosh as, since 2019, they still face a misconduct charge and potential points deduction for alleged breaches of the financial rules, possibly 21 points.

I wouldn't bet on it happening though.

42 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

RE: Wednesday; the independent tribunal has yet to make a decision; even when it does it is likely that the Owls or the EFL will appeal the judgement, so it will be messy for a while. My understanding is that there is not yet a date for the judgement, thats up to the indepndent panel.

Then there is the 'similar'  case against Derby to follow.

9 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Is there not strong rumours that the guy who last took over Wigan(resulting in their current financial predicament) having links to a Far East betting syndicate who had staked a large amount of money on Wigan getting relegated!

Correct. There's a video of the League Chairman (?) telling somebody about it while getting secretly recorded.

Why are so many English football clubs such absolute basket cases? To think of their press's sneering over the odd admin case in Italian or Scottish football in recent years when there's already been about half a dozen in the EFL this season alone. 

Not entirely a whoosh as, since 2019, they still face a misconduct charge and potential points deduction for alleged breaches of the financial rules, possibly 21 points.
I wouldn't bet on it happening though.
Ah right. I never knew that. I just thought you thought there were more games [emoji38]

4 hours ago, Rodhull said:

There's conflicting reports about this. I mind watching EFL highlights, when it first broke on Quest and they said next season, since then I've seen this season. The whole thing seems a shambles, report I seen said the owner bet a good sum on them being relegated, probably nonsense. I'd like to know how the EFL fit and proper owner qualification works. Happening far too often. They have to take some responsibility. 

Edited by Lucas Hood

9 hours ago, Raven said:

Still some potential for Sheffield Wednesday to steal one of the relegation places.

I was reading about the potential relegation scenario just before the final whistles. It was all a bit complicated, and with the potential of lawyers getting involved it could get time consuming.

Perhaps all concerned could get over to JKB and get a crash course in the possible ramifications. I'm sure Leslie Deans (not my area of expertise) would put in his tuppence worth.

41 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was reading about the potential relegation scenario just before the final whistles. It was all a bit complicated, and with the potential of lawyers getting involved it could get time consuming.

Perhaps all concerned could get over to JKB and get a crash course in the possible ramifications. I'm sure Leslie Deans (not my area of expertise) would put in his tuppence worth.

With appeals etc, punishments for Wednesday and Derby, if found guilty, are likely to impact next season not this, in my opinion.

Wednesday case is mainly that they were told what they did was ok, by the EFL. It was only when inept Parry took over and their minds changed.

If Wednesday do get a points deduction next season and keep Monk as manager, they are almost certianties for relegation, agan in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Countryman said:

With appeals etc, punishments for Wednesday and Derby, if found guilty, are likely to impact next season not this, in my opinion.

That makes more sense, tbh, but I understood Wigan were going to appeal anyway. Although I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to court, the EFL will hear the appeal, no?

1 hour ago, Countryman said:

Wednesday case is mainly that they were told what they did was ok, by the EFL. It was only when inept Parry took over and their minds changed.

If Wednesday do get a points deduction next season and keep Monk as manager, they are almost certianties for relegation, agan in my opinion.

The ineptness was Shaun Harvey if he OK'd the stadium sale.

But with Wednesday it is pretty serious.  They said in the club accounts for 2017-18 that they had banked a £35m profit from selling the ground.  But the Land Registry records show that the sale took place in June 2019.  So there's a deception there.  It also explains why it took a while for the League to do anything about it - it ramped up when they saw the Land Registry return.

They've had the hearing into Wednesday.  The points deduction is bound to relegate them.  The starting point will be 12.  Their main hope is to delay it to next season.  Derby might want one this season as they're safe enough.  Won't want to start next year on -15.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

That makes more sense, tbh, but I understood Wigan were going to appeal anyway. Although I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to court, the EFL will hear the appeal, no?

Appeal being heard on Monday.  Three man arbitration panel.  One chosen by Wigan, one by the EFL, and the third chosen by the other panel members. 

Appeal is bound to fail.  The only ground of success is if there is force majeure.  There is no force majeure here.  Can't claim Covid because Au Yeung bought the club in June.  Plainly knew about it.