The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Blackburn Rovers sign Lewis Holtby on a two-year deal.
That seems like a really good signing. I remember him being good unless he is plagued with injuries

he has 137 appearances for Hamburger SV over the last 5 seasons so he has probably not had many major injuries

Leeds with an absolutely mental bottle job today.

1-0 at half time, 70% possession, over 20 shots on goal and over 20 touches in the opposition box. Derby had 0 shots and 4 touches in the box.

After 90 minutes Derby have equalised, despite Leeds pummeling them at the start of the second half too.

On 21/09/2019 at 14:20, RandomGuy. said:

Leeds with an absolutely mental bottle job today.

1-0 at half time, 70% possession, over 20 shots on goal and over 20 touches in the opposition box. Derby had 0 shots and 4 touches in the box.

After 90 minutes Derby have equalised, despite Leeds pummeling them at the start of the second half too.

Was there. Same as Swansea and Forest games. Dominate. Miss chances and get hit with sucker punch. 3 last minute goals at home this season have already cost us 5pts. 1 win in 9 at home. 6 wins out 6 away. 

3 minutes ago, Bedford White said:

Was there. Same as Swansea and Forest games. Dominate. Miss chances and get hit with sucker punch. 3 last minute goals at home this season have already cost us 5pts. 1 win in 9 at home. 6 wins out 6 away. 

It was bizarre, the whole place seemed to know the equaliser was coming in the final five minutes.

14 hours ago, Bedford White said:

Marcelo Bielsa's acceptance speech in full

"In the game Leeds vs Aston Villa of season '18-19 we scored a goal when the opponent accepted us to interpret the game. Immediately afterwards as the game resumed we solved the situation offering no resistance to our rival and allowed them to equalise and tie the march.

"FIFA has decided to recognise our behaviour. Naturally I would like to thank, share and dedicate the distinction recieved.

"To start with I want to think FIFA and also to Leeds United and its fans, who did not question my actions.

"They could have claimed that I had to respect the ruling of the official but instead accepted my particular interpretation of differentiating something that is legal between something that is fair.

"The fitness coach of the team Benoit Delaval and captain Liam Cooper are present at this event. The first significantly influence my decision and the second represents a player who had the extremely uncomfortable task of following my instructions.

"When choosing how to act, the most difficult thing is not distinguish between right and wrong but to accept the consequences of doing what corresponds.

"Whilst there are immediate effects the important thing is to consider how we feel when time passes and we review our behaviour.

"When, as in this case, there was no time to reflect and we had to intervene instantly, our reflexes are conditioned by education, examples, references.

"I want to mention my mother who always knew what was right and what was wrong. Also to Newell's Old Boys of Rosario, a club to which I belong where for 20 years I learned to live football in a particular way.

"There are permanent presences in my life such as my family and some friends who remind me of values that should not be forgotten. Football, due to its enormous impact, at time operates on some aspects of public morals and it is especially involved in the mouldings of lives of those who have less or are the weakest. It is not convenient to comment on realities that you imagine but do not live. However I think most of those who have less, chose to do the right thing.

"With great effort, they remain worthy and live in decency. The recognition that FIFA gives us today included them because it rewards the same behaviour that they anonymously live every day."

16 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Two Derby players arrested for drink driving after apparently colliding with each other on Tuesday night. 

Statement from the OS of Derby:-

As a club, we cannot, and do not, condone the actions of a small group of players on Tuesday evening.

StatementBanner.jpg

The players were out as part of a scheduled team-building dinner with staff and while the majority of them acted responsibly and left at around 8pm and were not involved, a small group, including the team captain Richard Keogh, continued drinking into the night. They should have known when to stop and also ignored the opportunity to be driven home using cars laid on by the club, and chose to stay out.

As a result of an alcohol-related incident, Richard Keogh has sustained a serious knee injury that will prevent him from playing until the end of the season.

The players involved in the incident on Tuesday evening will be subject to a rigorous internal investigation under the club’s code of conduct and disciplinary procedures, but over and above any punishment they receive we will be expecting them to become involved with the excellent work the Community Trust does helping the communities we serve.

We have been very clear about our attitude towards alcohol and the players know that at certain and specific times of the season they are permitted a drink together as a group in a controlled environment.

Those involved in Tuesday’s incident know they will pay a heavy price for their actions, but also that we will support them with their rehabilitation back into the squad and team.

We fully support the work of our partners at Drinkaware and the unsanctioned actions of this small group of players is totally at odds the stance that both Drinkaware and Derby County Football Club take regards alcohol. We will be using this situation to redouble our efforts in highlighting the dangers posed by alcohol.

We would also like to thank the emergency services for their swift help.

13 minutes ago, WALMOT said:

I see self interest is as rife in the FL as the SPFL as clubs look after themselves instead of seeing the bigger picture.

Was there a rule that allowed them back in or otherwise? How would letting them in have affected clubs from divisions below getting promoted?

There was no practical way back in for Bury.

They were expelled a bit too quickly IMO as that final bid on the table seemed credible. Once you're expelled, however, you're out.

I guess, if they are successfully re-formed, they'll start again in NPL Div 1 North West, Tier 8, maybe even the North West Counties League below (Tier 9 or, if really unlucky, Tier 10).

That means the likes of Widnes, Congleton Town, Kendal, Prescot Cables in front of crowds of 150-200; the NWCL, even less than that. Quite a fall.

2 hours ago, WALMOT said:

I see self interest is as rife in the FL as the SPFL as clubs look after themselves instead of seeing the bigger picture.

Surely seeing the bigger picture is not creating a dangerous precedent by parachuting a bigger/more established club in to the league at the expense of one legitimately qualifying through the pyramid structure?