The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

1 hour ago, Countryman said:

Leagues 1 and 2 vote for salary cap, with immediate effect

I was shocked by those caps.  I know most players won't be anywhere near the top end of those ranges but still, the thought that someone at Lincoln or Gillingham could be earning 10 times as much as a Scottish Premiership player is mind-blowing.

Posted this in the league reconstruction thread as we might actually be the beneficiaries from this as it'll create a slightly more even playing field.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ee0bH12XsAUVfVA?format=jpg&name=large

Some clubs are going to need to do major surgery on their squads.

3 hours ago, The DA said:

I was shocked by those caps.  I know most players won't be anywhere near the top end of those ranges but still, the thought that someone at Lincoln or Gillingham could be earning 10 times as much as a Scottish Premiership player is mind-blowing.

2 hours ago, Lofarl said:

2.5mil is still 48k a week.

Surely it's £2.5m per team is it no? So if a 20 man squad, an average of roughly £2400 a week for League 1, and £1442 a week for League 2. Still mad of course but not as extreme as you're thinking. Carlisle apparently operate well under the cap already.

Just now, Lofarl said:

Sorry I assumed that there would be no way teams in Scotland would be able to pay more in wages than league one and two.  So are we to expect an influx of English nans coming up here now.

Wages are still quite high by Scottish footballing terms. For example, Dave Cormack said he'd reduced Aberdeen's budget to £4m this season so you'd imagine past yourselves, the English clubs will still get the pick of the bunch, but there'll be a lot of deadwood and the exposure players get here will play a bigger part than ever!

1 hour ago, DG.Roma said:

Surely it's £2.5m per team is it no? So if a 20 man squad, an average of roughly £2400 a week for League 1, and £1442 a week for League 2. Still mad of course but not as extreme as you're thinking. Carlisle apparently operate well under the cap already.

Ah, that's more like it.

The League and Stevenage's appeal against the suspended points deduction for Macclesfield has been successful.  The Macc Lads have had 6 points deducted, rather than the idiotic 2 plus 4 held over to 2020-21 that had been put in place.

Which means they get relegated.  By 0.1 point per game.

Although I don't think they've amortized the point deduction over the season, which is what logically should happen (i.e. they've been deducted points for a 46 game season rather than the 37 they played).  Had they done so, then Macclesfield would, by my maths, have gone down by 0.01 point per game.

I wonder what this means for the Sheffield Wednesday case.  Given that their deduction was also held over...

30 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Macclesfield....

....Which means they get relegated....

....I wonder what this means for the Sheffield Wednesday case.

I was hoping it'd mean the EFL could finally move on and get the fixtures sorted, first games are a month tomorrow...

...but you make a good point about Sheffield Wednesday. Can't see Charlton keeping quiet, although they have their own problems to sort out.

Absolutely pissing myself at the English League One salary cap being £2.5 million a year. 

You take a squad of 20 and that’s £125,000 a year per head on average. 

Some Sunderland players will be on that a month.