The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

Apparently there is a genuine bid for Bury from 'an international consortium' called SJ Global...hmmm, maybe this is why St Johnstone wouldn't cough up for Stevie May...that was in before the deadline, has the required funds and could see Saturday's game played. There is an EFL board meeting now going on now where 'the Bury situation will be discussed'. Debbie Jevans has previously said EFL can't reverse their decision. Would be quite a climb down if they reversed the decision. Not sure if these kind of people have that in them.

44 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Apparently there is a genuine bid for Bury from 'an international consortium' called SJ Global...hmmm, maybe this is why St Johnstone wouldn't cough up for Stevie May...that was in before the deadline, has the required funds and could see Saturday's game played. There is an EFL board meeting now going on now where 'the Bury situation will be discussed'. Debbie Jevans has previously said EFL can't reverse their decision. Would be quite a climb down if they reversed the decision. Not sure if these kind of people have that in them.

Was that not what the Football League said when Accrington Stanley tried to withdraw their resignation letter - that the decision (to accept the resignation) could not be reversed?

43 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49509774

The sort of buyer who declares that due diligence is not an issue is not exactly someone to inspire confidence.

41 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Was that not what the Football League said when Accrington Stanley tried to withdraw their resignation letter - that the decision (to accept the resignation) could not be reversed?

I'm not sure if I'm being whooshed...easily done!...but I I don't know.

41 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49509774

The sort of buyer who declares that due diligence is not an issue is not exactly someone to inspire confidence.

Indeed. Sounds extremely dodgy especially given the complete mess Bury's in. I think Day's bled it dry so maybe it's to get a toe into English football for some other reason. 

9 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I'm not sure if I'm being whooshed...easily done!...but I I don't know.

Indeed. Sounds extremely dodgy especially given the complete mess Bury's in. I think Day's bled it dry so maybe it's to get a toe into English football for some other reason. 

"Such was the public outcry over Accrington Stanley’s cessation that it prompted a local businessman to come forward and offer to save the club. Precisely who this is will never be known but certainly the Stanley board had sufficient confidence in his means and intentions to send a second letter to the Football League a mere two days after the first saying essentially that they had changed their minds. They were going to be okay after all.

Yet Alan Hardaker and the Football League refused to yield, responding only in legalese and making clear that even in this incredibly tight time-frame the player’s records were already expunged from the statistics while Stanley’s place had been allocated to Oxford United. At no point did he even publicly acknowledge the existence of the second letter."

15 hours ago, mizfit said:

Apparently fans were chanting “f**k the EFL” in all league cup games last night.

I genuinely don’t see what they did wrong, they gave Bury more than enough opportunities to sort it out before expelling them.

14 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s almost as if football fans tend to be thick as f**k.

I accept that the league work hard to keep clubs operating when they're in dire straits and have seen them work hard to do so when the club I follow was in trouble.

I do think however that the league is sadly lacking on a number of fronts & feel that criticism of their performance is valid. 

Just my opinon but I'd say it's possible to drive a coach & horses through the owners & directors test, their decision to appoint Shaun Harvey as Chief Executive was risible in my opinion (*for more on that see the paragraph below on Shaun),  the league signed a media deal in 2018 that the majority of league clubs were opposed to & the league seems to have done very little address the level of debt that has been obviously  at dangerous levels for many years.

*Harvey was schooled by Richmond and Bates & has left a trail of financial destruction in his wake, Scarborough wound up, two administrations at Bradford City, administration at LUFC & left the club financially crippled. Prior to the league setting Shaun on as Chief Exec the football league rules disqualified  club owners / directors who had been involved in two insolvency events, it would be a bit embarrassing for the football league if the bloke banning owners actually failed their own test. Lucky for Shaun there is a clause in the football league rules which means insolvency events at football clubs pre June 2004 are ignored which is very convenient for the football league and Shaun & means he'd pass by the skin of his teeth.http://www.football-...4~166912,00.pdfHis role as Chief Executive of LUFC during Bate's crooked debt shedding administration exercise in 2007 was nothing short of scandalous. He was responsible for the match day programme and the club radio station Yorkshire Radio, Bates & Harvey used them both to criminally harass and libel ex Leeds United director Melvyn Levi. Harvey thought it was fine to use the matchday programme to accuse Levi of blackmailing the club, they printed Levi's home address in the programme and invited fans to confront Levi about these allegations (this is just one example in a series of events of the use of the clubs media to libel and harass an ex club director, if you read the guardian article you will see that Judge Sir Charles Gray found that Levi wasn't guilty of any of the allegations made by LUFC / Bates / Harvey)

http://www.theguardi...ited-full-story

http://www.independe...ll-7826827.html

Edited by repeat_offender

On 29/08/2019 at 14:35, Jacksgranda said:

"Such was the public outcry over Accrington Stanley’s cessation that it prompted a local businessman to come forward and offer to save the club. Precisely who this is will never be known but certainly the Stanley board had sufficient confidence in his means and intentions to send a second letter to the Football League a mere two days after the first saying essentially that they had changed their minds. They were going to be okay after all.

Yet Alan Hardaker and the Football League refused to yield, responding only in legalese and making clear that even in this incredibly tight time-frame the player’s records were already expunged from the statistics while Stanley’s place had been allocated to Oxford United. At no point did he even publicly acknowledge the existence of the second letter."

Interesting thanks. Unsurprisingly Bury's attempt has also been refused although some fans are taking them to court as the next move. That'll be a total waste of time too I expect.

Meanwhile Bolton look to be slowly starting to build a squad by re-signing Jack Hobbs who had been with them last year.  By my calculations that makes 6 senior players (2 of which are goalies), although you could probably add a couple of 21 year olds to the list of "senior" players

Bury threatening court action over their expulsion. Given they haven't played a game all season and were given more than one deadline I can't see that being considered unreasonable.

Out of interest - would they be able to play in the FA Cup? R1 is October 21st.

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Out of interest - would they be able to play in the FA Cup? R1 is October 21st.

No, already confirmed they won't be allowed to enter this year. 

One of my mates was saying that on the Football Ramble, someone emailed in to say that their Dad was born in Glasgow and supported Third Lanark. The obvious happened. Later in life he moved down to Manchester, and started following Bury. Think you'd just give up now. 

12 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

One of my mates was saying that on the Football Ramble, someone emailed in to say that their Dad was born in Glasgow and supported Third Lanark. The obvious happened. Later in life he moved down to Manchester, and started following Bury. Think you'd just give up now. 

I know a couple of old Third Lanark that "moved" to Airdrie.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9837836/man-utd-legend-gary-neville-wants-to-move-salford-city-into-man-citys-old-training-base-at-cost-of-80000-a-year/

WAW...our club is kicked out the league...WAW...nobody did anything...WAW...it's SO unfair...WAW...right, quick, let's get their training base as they won't be needing it any more. 🙄

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:52, LondonHMFC said:

Cheers. Will there be a "lucky loser" like when Manchester United went to 'Club World Championship'?

On 31/08/2019 at 09:15, Sergeant Wilson said:

I know a couple of old Third Lanark that "moved" to Airdrie.

I know one who moved to Clydebank then became a Jags supporter before they almost went under. Wish he'd find religion and support one of the sisters. 

ETA I read this on the Bury site from their chairman. Not terribly well written, probably cant afford a secretary.

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/chairmans-statement/

Edited by cyderspaceman