The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

Guest Moomintroll
Don’t know why but - and I’m not one to advocate it, but with the clamour for us two cheeks to go/f**k off south - why isn’t there the prospect of a Bolton Celtics and Bury Rangers? (Insert you’re own witty riposte here).

Surely that must be an avenue that has been explored?

I await the resident PnB QCs to come shoot me down imminently....
Walkden Whites have nailed their colours firmly to the mast in that case.

The potential purchaser for Bury walked away after the due diligence process was completed. There's every chance any new bidders would arrive at the same conclusion. Extending the deadline further, and postponing more fixtures in the meantime, would be an absolute nonsense. It doesn't matter who is to blame, the Football League has to draw a line in the sand at some point.

The other problem with blaming the fit and proper persons test. Is that the EFL can't just fine a club owner, no matter how dodgy they are, if they own the club legally under UK law. They can go after the club and punish them In football sense and all that, but a proper dodgy owner won't necessarily care, as is the case right now at Bury. Especially when the clubs fucked anyway. 

EFL should have put both of them out there misery before the season started. By desperately letting them keep there places it just encourages taking financial risk. Punishment should be much tougher and earlier when clubs can't pay players etc. 

Edited by Turkmenbashi
Terrible spelling/grammar

The EFL Board met earlier this evening and, after a long and detailed discussion, determined that Bury FC’s membership of the English Football League be withdrawn after the deadline passed at 5pm today (Tuesday 27 August) without a successful resolution.

Despite repeated requests to its owner Mr Dale over a sustained period of time, the necessary evidence in respect of how the Club would meet its financial commitments, has simply not been provided and, as a result, attentions turned to securing new ownership at the Club.

At its meeting on 24 August 2019, the Board agreed a short extension to 5pm today (Tuesday 27 August) to enable Mr Dale and the Club to explore the possibility of a proposed sale with C&N Sporting Risk Limited, with Mr Dale having accepted their offer. Following due diligence, C&N Sporting Risk Limited opted not to pursue its interest.  

Therefore, having fully considered all available options, including a number of late expressions of interest provided to the EFL, the EFL Board has unanimously determined with enormous regret that Bury’s membership be withdrawn.

The EFL Board had maintained that there could be no further suspensions to the fixture list and that these ongoing concerns and the integrity of the competition were a significant factor in the decision.

Recent events have highlighted how decisions taken at Bury FC over the last few seasons have caused the Club and individuals close to it significant financial distress and there are a number of matters which, in our view, will require further investigation.

League One will now comprise of 23 Clubs for the remainder of the campaign and relegation places in the division reduced to three, which will result in a full complement of 24 Clubs in 2020/21. A discussion will take place with EFL Clubs on the consequential impact in League Two when Clubs next meet in September 2019.

Debbie Jevans CBE, EFL Executive Chair, said: “Today is undoubtedly one of the darkest days in the League’s recent history. The EFL has worked determinedly and tirelessly to avoid this outcome and it is with a heavy heart that this situation has been forced upon us.

“The EFL has to place the integrity of our competitions at the heart of every decision we make, and we simply cannot allow this unacceptable situation to continue or countenance the prospect of postponing further fixtures.

“I understand this will be a deeply upsetting and devastating time for Bury’s players, staff, supporters and the wider community. There is no doubt today’s news will be felt across the entire football family.

“No one wanted to be in this position but following repeated missed deadlines, the suspension of five League fixtures, in addition to not receiving the evidence we required in regard to financial commitments and a possible takeover not materialising; the EFL Board has been forced to take the most difficult of decisions.”

Regardless of all the pathetic English "patter" about Scottish football, make no mistake that August 27 2019 is a black day for football as a whole. No football fan should have to wake up and have his club gone. We came close to that twice, and I couldn't imagine enjoying football anymore if Dundee no longer existed. I'm sure there will be a phoenix club made and Bury will have a football club, but it won't ever truly be their football club. And Bolton fans look likely to face the same fate in 2 weeks. I take no joy in seeing any club die.

Except Rangers, that was funny.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Regardless of all the pathetic English "patter" about Scottish football, make no mistake that August 27 2019 is a black day for football as a whole. No football fan should have to wake up and have his club gone. We came close to that twice, and I couldn't imagine enjoying football anymore if Dundee no longer existed. I'm sure there will be a phoenix club made and Bury will have a football club, but it won't ever truly be their football club. And Bolton fans look likely to face the same fate in 2 weeks. I take no joy in seeing any club die.

Well said

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Except Rangers, that was funny.

Icing on the cake 🍰😎

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49451896

Reacting to news of the Shakers' expulsion, Bury North MP James Frith...Yes we will rise again 

Before Saturday's announcement, the EFL said if the Shakers were expelled the club would "be free to make an application to the Football Association to rejoin league competition further down the English football pyramid from season 2020-21.

So they may still be owned by a complete c**t that doesn't give a toss, they may still be in the deepest financial doodoo and still near death's door but the bottom line is they still actually exist and there is still a Bury FC. As of tonight they are just no longer a league club, not dead as you'd think from the coverage. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49451896
Reacting to news of the Shakers' expulsion, Bury North MP James Frith...Yes we will rise again 
Before Saturday's announcement, the EFL said if the Shakers were expelled the club would "be free to make an application to the Football Association to rejoin league competition further down the English football pyramid from season 2020-21.
So they may still be owned by a complete c**t that doesn't give a toss, they may still be in the deepest financial doodoo and still near death's door but the bottom line is they still actually exist and there is still a Bury FC. As of tonight they are just no longer a league club, not dead as you'd think from the coverage. 
It depends on whether they can sustain interest after a season without playing. Considering it looked like every demonstration consisted of not much more than a handful of folk, I wouldn't bet on it.

Feel for some of their support, but there were obviously plenty of them who sat and did nothing just assuming everything would turn out fine and this is where it's gotten them.