The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

Interesting little stat after last nights game:-

For the first time in Football League history, three teams relegated from the top-flight in the previous season have lost their first match of the following season in the second-tier (Cardiff City, Fulham and Huddersfield Town).

Transferred to Burnley last week for an undisclosed fee.
Also Roofe away to Anderlecht for £7m so we need a back up keeper and a new striker before 5pm Thursday.

Totally missed that. Did think it was strange that Roofe was going to Anderlecht. Good player and it's not really a step up.

17 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:
5 hours ago, WALMOT said:
Transferred to Burnley last week for an undisclosed fee.
Also Roofe away to Anderlecht for £7m so we need a back up keeper and a new striker before 5pm Thursday.

Totally missed that. Did think it was strange that Roofe was going to Anderlecht. Good player and it's not really a step up.

Going into the last year of his contract, carrying an injury at the moment, if he passes the medical I think he's gone.

18 minutes ago, repeat_offender said:

Going into the last year of his contract, carrying an injury at the moment, if he passes the medical I think he's gone.

Just waiting on conformation from the clubs that he has signed for Anderlecht.

Seems we are trying to do  a deal for Ryan Kent from Liverpool and talks are at an advanced stage.

On 04/08/2019 at 18:56, Turkmenbashi said:

The thing is he never even bothered going through the fit and proper person test. He just bought the club from the previous owner without telling anyone and the FA can't do anything to him. They can punish the club but he probably wouldn't care.

I didn't realise that thanks. I'm surprised you can get away with avoiding the F&P test when taking over nowadays and still be able to own an EFL club as you'd think it'd be part of the conditions of membership or such. I expect the only thing he cares about at the moment is getting out. 

Championship side Derby County have signed former England captain Wayne Rooney on an initial 18-month player-coach deal from MLS side DC United.

The 33-year-old forward, who is Manchester United's and England's all-time record goalscorer, will join up with the Rams in January.

He signed for DC from Everton in July 2018 and has scored 23 goals in 41 league games.

"I am sure I can make a big contribution," said Rooney.

"I am very excited about the opportunity that Derby County have provided me with. I am looking forward to joining [Derby manager] Phillip Cocu, his coaching staff and the first-team squad from the start of January.

"I am equally excited to begin my coaching career at Derby County working with both the first team and academy."

Derby, who started their season with a 2-1 win at Huddersfield on Monday, are under the management of former Netherlands international Phillip Cocu after Rooney's former England team-mate Frank Lampard left for Chelsea last month.

Cocu described Rooney's arrival as an "exciting prospect" and that he has "no doubt he will have a positive impact right across the club".

"The inspiration and motivation this can generate is massive for all of our players from the first team right through to the youngsters in the academy," added Coco.

"To have a player with his leadership, skill, experience, character and work ethic will be huge for us."

Rooney's first step towards management?

Rooney suggested recently that he was thinking about moving into coaching.

Speaking about his managerial aspirations at last week's MLS All-Stars match, he said: "It's something which I want to stay involved in; [my coaching badges] are going well.

"I'm obviously still a player and I want to continue to play. When the time is right I can go into coaching or management."

His move to Derby, albeit alongside continuing his playing career, means he is the sixth member of England's Euro 2004 squad to take their first steps in coaching or management in the past 15 months.

Steven Gerrard has made a good start to his managerial career with Rangers, while midfield partner Lampard took the Rams to the play-off final last season before taking over at Chelsea last month.

Sol Campbell saved Macclesfield Town from relegation to the National League but Paul Scholes' spell at hometown club Oldham Athletic lasted just 31 days.

John Terry moved into coaching with Aston Villa last October 2018 and helped the club back to the Premier League with victory over Lampard's Rams at Wembley.

Forward makes move.

Leeds United forward Kemar Roofe has today joined Belgian side R.S.C. Anderlecht for an undisclosed fee.

Roofe joined Leeds from Oxford United in the summer of 2016 and went on to make 122 appearances for the Whites, scoring 32 goals in all competitions.

He netted two hat-tricks during his time at Leeds, with both coming in the 2017/18 season, against Newport County in the Carabao Cup in August 2017 and against Queens Park Rangers in December 2017.

The striker netted 15 goals for Leeds last season as Marcelo Bielsa’s side reached the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs, including memorable last minute winners in back to back games against Aston Villa at Villa Park and Blackburn Rovers at Elland Road.

We thank Kemar for his efforts whilst at the club and wish him all the best for the future.

19 hours ago, WALMOT said:

Championship side Derby County have signed former England captain Wayne Rooney on an initial 18-month player-coach deal from MLS side DC United.

Rumor has it DC United are trying to bring in Mesut Ozil to replace him.

On 22/07/2019 at 14:01, Calvin Johnson said:

Has anyone done a Leeds game recently? If so, how did you find getting tickets? Guy at work is from Leeds and seems to reckon they sell out practically every week (or at least did last season).

Got ST and extra membership + access to mates memberships who lives in Shetland and will probably make 6 home games so can get ticket/s If you give me at least a month notice.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

Stoke confirmed Berahino has been released...

https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2019/august/Saido-Berahino/

As short a statement as you could possibly make in this situation.

Three years left on his contract according to the BBC - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48416456

That's a very expensive decision - a lot of wages and a big chunk of his £12 million fee to write off. 

Edited by Bishop Briggs

19 hours ago, Bedford White said:

Got ST and extra membership + access to mates memberships who lives in Shetland and will probably make 6 home games so can get ticket/s If you give me at least a month notice.

Nice one! I'll drop you a PM.