League 1 Season 19/20 Predictions

Interesting to see almost everyone have Falkirk as clear favourites.

What is that based on?  They seem to be a club in turmoil both on and off the park which doesn't seem like the strongest foundations for a bounce-back promotion.

As we have proved (crowd-w**k alert) you can't assume the club with the highest attendance/ biggest budget/ full-time squad will walk the league.

It's probably wishful thinking but I'm not sure I'd put Falkirk as such clear favourites- although to be fair as has been pointed out numerous times already we have no idea what the majority of the squads will look like yet so it's far too early to be predicting anything.

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:54, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Too early to decide how teams are going to fare when the scramble for players is really only beginning.

How I'd like things to shape up is different. If I had a soul I'd go find myself a crossroads and see if there is someone there to make a deal.

1. Airdrie
2. Don't care
3. "
4. "
5. "
6. "
7. "
8. "
9. "
10. Falkirk

He'll give you 10% off a tyre balance and lube.

See the source image

Far too early but you’ve got to put Falkirk as huge favourites with Rovers and Airdrie to make up 3 of top 4 just on budgets. I’d pick either Dumbarton or Forfar to make the playoff spots. East Fife looked decent last season but tailed off towards the end so they’ll be hoping to improve on that I think they’ll be around 4-6. I think the relegation battle will be the two new comers along with Montrose and Stranraer fighting them for every point.

Everything could change quickly with signings and who gets off to a good or poor start. Looking forward to a new season and hopefully get round all the grounds. As I’ve only been to 6 out of 10 and last time I was at Peterhead was their first ever league game against Montrose.

6 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Far too early but you’ve got to put Falkirk as huge favourites with Rovers and Airdrie to make up 3 of top 4 just on budgets. I’d pick either Dumbarton or Forfar to make the playoff spots. East Fife looked decent last season but tailed off towards the end so they’ll be hoping to improve on that I think they’ll be around 4-6. I think the relegation battle will be the two new comers along with Montrose and Stranraer fighting them for every point.

Everything could change quickly with signings and who gets off to a good or poor start. Looking forward to a new season and hopefully get round all the grounds. As I’ve only been to 6 out of 10 and last time I was at Peterhead was their first ever league game against Montrose.

I wouldn’t dismiss Clyde so quickly- a real step change taking place and most of last year’s squad retained with a few great additions already secured. Danny Lennon has form with B2B promotions and we have a great optimism throughout the  growing fanbase for the first time in a long while.

Not wishing to be blindly over optimistic but I’d say we have a very real chance to make the top 4.

Will be an absolute disaster if we don't win this league, but it will depend on how much cash the new owners give McKinnon, that said trusting him to spend it wisely is another story.  If he starts with this one up front patter in this league he wants chased. 

3 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Interesting to see almost everyone have Falkirk as clear favourites.

What is that based on?  They seem to be a club in turmoil both on and off the park which doesn't seem like the strongest foundations for a bounce-back promotion.

As we have proved (crowd-w**k alert) you can't assume the club with the highest attendance/ biggest budget/ full-time squad will walk the league.

It's probably wishful thinking but I'm not sure I'd put Falkirk as such clear favourites- although to be fair as has been pointed out numerous times already we have no idea what the majority of the squads will look like yet so it's far too early to be predicting anything.

Considering your mob finished 3rd in the seaside league just gone, I think it's a fair assumption that Falkirk will be most folks favourite to win the league. I mean, who takes Raith seriously these days? 

2 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Well, if it’s any indicator of “getting off to a good start”, us Bairns haven’t seen our mob win an opening league game for something like 12 years.

46 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Will be an absolute disaster if we don't win this league, but it will depend on how much cash the new owners give McKinnon, that said trusting him to spend it wisely is another story.  If he starts with this one up front patter in this league he wants chased. 

He has strong previous, but that was with Brechin. If he so much as once mentions an “unbeaten run” that contains less than a 60% win rate, he deserves to be introduced to  Bairnardo’s trebuchet without further ado.

Considering your mob finished 3rd in the seaside league just gone, I think it's a fair assumption that Falkirk will be most folks favourite to win the league. I mean, who takes Raith seriously these days? 

You kind of proved my point there Stevo.

We had the biggest attendances and budget in the league and finished third.

Using the same criteria to automatically suggest Falkirk will skoosh the league is probably flawed.

Of course if they use that budget wisely and sign a better standard of player than the rest of the league then the favourites tag will be justified.
That’s what we didn’t do last year and we don’t know yet if Falkirk will pull it off.

Guest Ecosse83
3 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Better hope we get the right owners then so McKinnon gets the bullet :whistle

I wouldn’t dismiss Clyde so quickly- a real step change taking place and most of last year’s squad retained with a few great additions already secured. Danny Lennon has form with B2B promotions and we have a great optimism throughout the  growing fanbase for the first time in a long while.
Not wishing to be blindly over optimistic but I’d say we have a very real chance to make the top 4.

Maybe you will but the facts are you were 2nd behind Peterhead this season and beat Annan by a single goal in the play off so you’ll need more than blind optimism to make the step up and compete for the promotion playoff places. I guess we’ll see once teams start to unveil their new signings who’s likely to be where. Good luck to Clyde I look forward to ticking Broadwood off my list of grounds to visit.

36 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Maybe you will but the facts are you were 2nd behind Peterhead this season and beat Annan by a single goal in the play off so you’ll need more than blind optimism to make the step up and compete for the promotion playoff places. I guess we’ll see once teams start to unveil their new signings who’s likely to be where. Good luck to Clyde I look forward to ticking Broadwood off my list of grounds to visit.

Wouldn't discount Stanraer this season, good management team, who done well with 60% of team young loan development players and latterly local  youth, still being favourites to be bottom this year is never a bad thing . mid league I think.

2 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Time will tell if I’m suffering from unjustified “blind optimism “ or not.

Enjoy your trip to Broadwood 

I think everyone who predicted Falkirk to be top of the league at the end of the season is entitled to a second free spin of the wheel.

We just might have a BoD prepared to indulge in a chunk of scorched earth policy before they depart.