League 1 Season 19/20 Predictions

No matter what turmoil is going in it’s a matter of fact the bigger full time relegated Championship club usually bounce back. It’s not like you’re the only club that hasn’t finished your recruitment. Fully expect Falkirk to come good.

No matter what turmoil is going in it’s a matter of fact the bigger full time relegated Championship club usually bounce back. It’s not like you’re the only club that hasn’t finished your recruitment. Fully expect Falkirk to come good.
True but it doesn't always pan out like that, Raith Rovers being a prime example...

2 minutes ago, EFFC1938 said:
5 hours ago, Enigma said:

True but it doesn't always pan out like that, Raith Rovers being a prime example...

He did say "bigger" to be fair.

Falkirk - 1st 

Personally, I've never really be on the Tidser bandwagon and I'm not really surprised that he's been willing to drop a division to sign; think he's a player you need to watch every week to fully appreciate. That said, I expect he'll be a standout at this level. Remains to be seen what players they recruit but obviously strong favourites for the title. 

Forfar - 2nd

A couple of very tidy signings on paper in Forbes and Kirkpatrick; certainly lessens the blow of losing Easton and Reilly to Kelty. Losing Baird's goals is a big blow but again on paper, Jackson seems an adequate replacement. Expect them to be contention for a play-off place again.

Clyde - 3rd

Lennon has previous experience of involvement in back-to-back promotions with Thistle and Cowdenbeath. Signing some of the better players that they came up against last season in Johnston, Wallace and Smith is shrewd business but will need a couple more who have been playing at this level. Fancy them to be the surprise package in the division.

East Fife - 4th

Have made a few very tidy signings in Danny Denholm, Ryan Wallace and the returning Chris Duggan. Looked like play-off contenders last season until struggling to find any form in the second half of the season. If Duggan and Wallace (and potentially Dowds too) can hit it off, they'll carry a decent goal threat especially with Scott Agnew in midfield. Not sure about them defensively. Could have put Raith or Airdrie in the last play-off spot but going with EF on basis of current attacking options.

Airdrie - 5th

Adam Eckersley, Callum Fordyce and Nat Wedderburn are solid signings but if attacking hopes are being pinned on Ally Roy, it'll be a long old season. Struggling to see where the goals are going to come from so will need a few additions, middle to front. Think there are better teams in the league, as things stand. but think they'll be tough to beat. If they can sign a proven striker, I'd review their placing come the start of the season.

Raith Rovers  - 6th 

One would imagine that Nisbet will have suitors this summer. I thought that he'd score goals last season but slightly surprised at how prolific he was. The big mistake that Thistle made in his development was sending him to Ayr after his successful spell at East Stirling; in my opinion, he should have went to a League 1 team rather than make the jump to the Championship to a side that was going to be battling relegation. Not sure when Vaughan is due back but with Buchanan and to a lesser extent Duggan away, Raith are going to have to replace a lot of goals - unsure guys like Joao Victoria are going to be the solution. Can't see them threatening for the title this year. 

Peterhead - 7th

From an outsider looking in, I dare say they would have benefited from a change of manager in the close season - it seemed that they very much stumbled over the line to claim the title ahead of a Clyde side hampered by a points deduction and who were considerably behind at one stage. They'll have a decent budget, one would imagine, so will be interesting to see who they bring in. McInally is a leveller though.

Montrose - 8th

Petrie has been one of the most impressive managers in the lower leagues for the last few seasons - how long can Montrose continue to hold onto him? I believe he has a pretty secure job which may rule out a move to full time teams but when Goodwin leaves Alloa (which very well may be in this coming season), he must be in with a very good chance of that job. The returning Ballantyne is a good signing but I'd be astounded if they're able to repeat last season's feat of making the play-offs. I expect they'll be involved in the scrap but think they'll be safe, so long as Petrie is about.

Dumbarton - 9th

Think they're going to struggle this season. Big turnover in players and is going to be nigh on impossible for them to replace the quality of guys like Thomas and Forbes on their budget.  Not convinced the recent arrivals from the Juniors will be up to the mark.  Relegation battle awaits, I suspect.

Stranraer - 10th 

Quite like Farrell as a manager but they're going to be right up against it this season. Losing Kyle Turner and Ali McCann was inevitable, and will be very difficult to replace. Gallagher returning is a relatively safe move but expect them to be in one of the relegation spots come the end of the year.

Edited by Armand 2

I know bugger all about this division, but that's never stopped me in the past and won't do so now -

Forfar

Falkirk

Montrose (beat Morton in playoff)

Raith

East Fife

Airdrie

Dumbarton

Peterhead

Clyde (lose playoff to Edinburgh C)

Stranraer

5 hours ago, ewan_fife said:

1. Falkirk